Hypothetical Question about two-amps/cabinet hook-up....

• Thread starter Gutch220
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gutch220

Reaction score
I've never tried this before, but it had me wondering.
If you were to use a y-speaker cable to hook-up two amps to one cabinet, would the power from Amp-1 go into/damage Amp-2, and vice versa? You're basically hooking up the amp's output into another amp's output via the Y-cable. (or does the power "know which way to go"?)

1710518881990.png

RLW59

Reaction score
The power doesn't know which way to go. You'd almost certainly damage both amps if you connect them together like that -- even if only one amp is turned on, or even if you only play through one amp at a time via an a/b box in front of the amp inputs.

(There are stereo cabs with 2 or 4 speakers, that allow you to hook up one amp to half the speakers and the other amp to the other half of the speakers.)

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Solarburn posted an interesting vid the other day about how EVH used one amp into another amp to get harmonics X2 , seems to me a better way to experiment.

What you are suggesting seems pointlessly risky,
I get bungee jumping but why this ?

Gutch220

Reaction score
I get bungee jumping but why this ?
I don't want to do it, nor have I ever done it, I was just curious.
I think EVH slaved other amps via the inputs (or SEND if they had those back then) so he's only dealing with pre-amps

PelliX

Reaction score
I think EVH slaved other amps via the inputs (or SEND if they had those back then) so he's only dealing with pre-amps

Yup. Just for the record/clarity, never connect the speaker out of any amp to an input (regular or FX return, power amp in, etc). Bad things happen. :yesway:

Latest posts