I almost feel like I am cheating

• Thread starter Dozer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dozer

Reaction score
I have owned quite a few Marshall amps. I am not an expert by any stretch. I gigged/toured a early/mid (1983'ish) 80's 2203 JCM800 with a 1960a cab for about 10 years and have also played through a bunch of them via backlines through the years. I wouldn't say I have chased that tone since selling it BUT I have tried many amps and modelers that supposedly "nail that JCM800 tone" only to kind of chuckle a bit and dismiss them as close but no cigar. I'm talking even the Fractal stuff and even Marshall stuff like JMD and CODE the latter which was a joke. The JMD gets very close and it'd be my 2nd choice over the real thing but...

The 2203 model in the Line 6 Helix, run into the return of my Line 6 Spider Valve tube powered amp, brings me back to those days when I had my 2203. I mean...they did nail it. Not just the tone but how it feels and how it reacts to certain pedals and how it reacts to guitar volume knob adjustments. Like the title says I almost feel like I am cheating because I honestly don't know if I could discern the difference in a blind test being in the same room. The biggest differences are that it's a Line 6 amp on stage with me not a Marshall (aesthetic) and I can put whatever I want through a modeled fx loop.

I spent a good 6 hours yesterday cranking this up in my jam room and just smiling and getting goosebumps. Playing to backing tracks and taking a trip down memory lane. It really took me back to a time when bands and players weren't neutered and we could play at those crazy volumes all night long.

As someone who really doesn't care about badges and logos, I am giddy AF to be able to bring the bark and kerrang without breaking the bank. The Prices in the US for vintage Marshall stuff are insane and to me no guitar amp is worth 2k and up. Even the Mark V 90 I had, I paid 1200 bucks for because the guy thought it was broken but it wasn't.

I am recently involved (sound and lights) in a Metal Tribute show Production company and am also in a couple Tribute Bands, so I do want to find me a couple DSL100H's to backline with soon but as far as my rig goes I will be rocking that Helix and Spider Valve proudly and with a smile.

Mentalo

Reaction score
In my opinion if it makes you smile, like you wrote, feels like the real thing and works for you - that’s already your answer. I‘m in my mid 30s and play guitar for over 20 years now and in my experience taste in guitars and amps is changing over time. For me sometimes it’s like taste in food: I like to come back to my favorites but to me the variety is where it’s going to be interesting. Currently I‘m going back and forth between an Atomic Amplifier which nails Marshall tones (at least in my opinion), and “real” heads. Sometimes I‘m in the mood for the geeky stuff to set up all stomp boxes, the amp and mics and sometimes I’m just into plug-in an XLR to be ready to rock. Long story short: no need to feel like cheating, what serves you best counts. I’ll take the bet that this won’t be your last amp (digital or non digital) down the road…

Last edited:

Dozer

Reaction score
In my opinion if it makes you smile, like you wrote, feels like the real thing and works for you - that’s already your answer. I‘m in my mid 30s and play guitar for over 20 years now and in my experience taste in guitars and amps is changing over time. For me sometimes it’s like taste in food: I like to come back to my favorites but to me the variety is where it’s going to be interesting. Currently I‘m going back and forth between an Atomic Amplifier which nails Marshall tones (at least in my opinion), and “real” heads. Sometimes I‘m in the mood for the geeky stuff to set up all stomp boxes, the amp and mics and sometimes I’m just into plug-in an XLR to be ready to rock. Long story short no need to feel like cheating, what serves you best counts. I’ll take the bet that this won’t be your last amp (digital or non digital) down the road…

Very well said. BTW the new Atomic software Tonocracy is crazy good. Also BTW it's free. I fired it up and the default amp is called a Plexi 100 and I was blown away.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I have owned quite a few Marshall amps. I am not an expert by any stretch. I gigged/toured a early/mid (1983'ish) 80's 2203 JCM800 with a 1960a cab for about 10 years and have also played through a bunch of them via backlines through the years. I wouldn't say I have chased that tone since selling it BUT I have tried many amps and modelers that supposedly "nail that JCM800 tone" only to kind of chuckle a bit and dismiss them as close but no cigar. I'm talking even the Fractal stuff and even Marshall stuff like JMD and CODE the latter which was a joke. The JMD gets very close and it'd be my 2nd choice over the real thing but...

The 2203 model in the Line 6 Helix, run into the return of my Line 6 Spider Valve tube powered amp, brings me back to those days when I had my 2203. I mean...they did nail it. Not just the tone but how it feels and how it reacts to certain pedals and how it reacts to guitar volume knob adjustments. Like the title says I almost feel like I am cheating because I honestly don't know if I could discern the difference in a blind test being in the same room. The biggest differences are that it's a Line 6 amp on stage with me not a Marshall (aesthetic) and I can put whatever I want through a modeled fx loop.

I spent a good 6 hours yesterday cranking this up in my jam room and just smiling and getting goosebumps. Playing to backing tracks and taking a trip down memory lane. It really took me back to a time when bands and players weren't neutered and we could play at those crazy volumes all night long.

As someone who really doesn't care about badges and logos, I am giddy AF to be able to bring the bark and kerrang without breaking the bank. The Prices in the US for vintage Marshall stuff are insane and to me no guitar amp is worth 2k and up. Even the Mark V 90 I had, I paid 1200 bucks for because the guy thought it was broken but it wasn't.

I am recently involved (sound and lights) in a Metal Tribute show Production company and am also in a couple Tribute Bands, so I do want to find me a couple DSL100H's to backline with soon but as far as my rig goes I will be rocking that Helix and Spider Valve proudly and with a smile.
I feel what you are saying. There are many pro's using the line 6. It gets better with every update.
I wonder how it would sound running in the JMD power section. I thought that was a good amp.
Sort of miss it but the HX Stomp does very well.

I recently tried AmpKnob from Bogren digital. Kind of blown away by it.
It runs in a DAW and I use my Camden pre amp in a 500 series lunch box rack.

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Hey man good tone is good tone. As long as you dig it that's all that matters. In a full live cranked venue, most people in the crowd don't hear all the 3000 buck Klons difference at all lol. Meaty tones by however it is gotten is all that matters. Rock on and if you want to share some live clips once performing that would be great.

**( I gigged a line 6 Vetta in the late 90s/ early 2000s and it was stellar. Got many compliments on my guitar sound and it didn't lack any punch live lol )**

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Hey man good tone is good tone. As long as you dig it that's all that matters. In a full live cranked venue, most people in the crowd don't hear all the 3000 buck Klons difference at all lol. Meaty tones by however it is gotten is all that matters. Rock on and if you want to share some live clips once performing that would be great.

**( I gigged a line 6 Vetta in the late 90s/ early 2000s and it was stellar. Got many compliments on my guitar sound and it didn't lack any punch live lol )**

1711973535253.png

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

I have a clip, not live. I use it at home.
I like what it does.
The lead is Bogren BDH 66o6 = 6505+ loaded in the DAW (Reaper) , guitar going Outboard Pre amp. Also reverb from Reaper.

TassieViking

Reaction score
Under Downunder Where The Devils Roam At Night
If it makes you feel better get an empty head and then raid the spice cupboard for any glass spice bottles, stick orange LED's in the spice bottles and make it look like the bottles are glowing inside the empty head.
Also get a fake empty 4x12 cab or full stack, cardboard fake will do as long as the audience think it's the real deal.
If they think it's real it will sound real, but your back will love you.

Damn, I wonder if cardboard full stacks would sell ?

Dozer

Reaction score
If it makes you feel better get an empty head and then raid the spice cupboard for any glass spice bottles, stick orange LED's in the spice bottles and make it look like the bottles are glowing inside the empty head.
Also get a fake empty 4x12 cab or full stack, cardboard fake will do as long as the audience think it's the real deal.
If they think it's real it will sound real, but your back will love you.

Damn, I wonder if cardboard full stacks would sell ?

Well for me I don't care about badges or logos or having 4x12's behind me on stage. For The Tribute Production company I work for, they worry about aesthetics but we have the whole "Marshall cab" thing covered. I just need to grab a couple Marshall heads for backlining but I will stick with my Helix/Spider setup for my personal performances.

I am thinking DSL100H's because they are pretty affordable and a good catchall Marshall. Metal players generally prefer tight over chewy or Plexi-like.

K9Merc

Reaction score
I really liked the spidervalve series, especially the MKll. Hell I even liked the DT50 with the hd500. I like those amps so much more than the powercabs with the helix.

jmp45

Reaction score
Picked up a Helix LT recently. I'm new to line 6, I'll have to try the 800 2023. I've been using tonex in the loop for amps. I had it jacked in to a 69 1987 to a 60b cab. Now it's in the office into a spark 40 eq'd flat. It's really an interesting piece of gear.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
@Dozer

"2203 model in the Line 6 Helix, run into the return of my Line 6 Spider Valve tube powered amp"

I wonder if that will work just as well in my Egnator Tweaker 15.
I don't use the amp much.
I do like the 2203 model.

Kendall124

Reaction score
I love my Helix. It serves its purpose. I use it in the studio, just for noodling, creating, writing, demo-ing and exercise. I have some really great presets set into snapshots that I really dig.
I tried to incorporate it live. Just didn’t work for me. Especially in a two guitar lineup.
When it’s time to really record, the Marshall goes in the isolation booth, properly mic’d and cranked to 10.
But there is no denying that the Line 6 Helix is an amazing tool.