• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I AM the Reincarnation of Slash (JCM 800 shines)

• Thread starter Slash Tone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash Tone

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, it's just my opinion. It's great that you have an interest in music and are interested in learning guitar and being influenced by a successful guitar icon like Slash. However to say that you have nailed his tone and technique and that you have nothing left o do would be a grave overstatement. To nail Slash's true tone and playing takes decades of Alchohal and Herioin influenced 12+ hour jam sessions + going from living on the streets of Hollywood to rising to superstardom as a member of one of the most successfull bands of his generation.
If you really want to improve the basic tone you have just search on YouTube, there are many many examples people have posted with much more authentic tones than the one you posted. Also I've seen many far better imitations of Slashs playing as well. So don't give up yet, keep practicing and you'll keep making progress but you still have a very long way to go my friend.
I was going to take you seriously until I noticed you said my tone is basic. If you really think it is, contrary to the myriad of people who think otherwise on previous pages, you have much bigger things to worry about than giving people advice or the Slash tone... like getting your ears checked

Slash Tone

Reaction score
Back in the early '90s, the band I was in, judged a guitar contest for Hamer Guitars & KNAC radio. When it came down to it, there was a guy who played sweeps to no end & they made no sense musically. There was a guy who played Jimmy Page type stuff, but not too well put together. Another guy came out & played nothing but VH licks & played them perfectly. The last guy was drunk off his gorde, played sloppy & did his own thing. After this round, we narrowed it down to the last 2 guys.

I turned to the singer & said: "if this guy plays 1 more VH lick, he's out!"

He came out & played the intro to Beautiful Girls & went through another myriad of VH licks. We were very disappointed. The next guy came out & let loose. He was drunk, sloppy, but playing w/ heart & conviction.

Know who won? The drunk guy!

Originality goes a lot further than playing your hero's licks note-for-note, sound for sound. Besides, you have to consider, Slash was once one of those drunk guys. If you really want to follow Slash, be original. Take what you've learned from your exercise in copying him & take it to the next step.

There's freedom in being able to play off the cuff & be able to play what's in your head, to what else is going on around you musically.

Good luck on your journey.
I do not disagree with any of this, but I am a firm believer of one thing. Music is not a career, its a hobby. It is basically the equivalent of video games except a productive and impressive way to spend your time.

The chances of being a successful musician are very small, and the chances of becoming Slash are almost none. If I was going to take it professionally, I agree with you 100% that you need to formulate your own tone/style/playing to get anywhere.

If its just a hobby however, I'd much rather be able to replicate Slash's playing. I had a few people (some friends, some randoms) walk into a room once when I started playing the Sweet Child intro. My tone was basically identical, and they were stunned at what they heard. I was immediately asked me how the hell it was possible to get that reverb-driven tone we hear on the record, because its a well-known fact the a Les Paul's muddy neck pickup won't permit a tone like that with a standalone amp. Everyone was impressed.

I want people to be amazed that I can replicate the tone, sound and playing of perhaps the most successful guitarist in history. The sad reality is that you can be damn sure in the music industry, whatever you do, someone has already done it better, and plus we all know rock is a dying breed. We may as well stick to playing guitar as a hobby the way I see the world, there are better ways to make money.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I do not disagree with any of this, but I am a firm believer of one thing. Music is not a career, its a hobby. It is basically the equivalent of video games except a productive and impressive way to spend your time.

The chances of being a successful musician are very small, and the chances of becoming Slash are almost none. If I was going to take it professionally, I agree with you 100% that you need to formulate your own tone/style/playing to get anywhere.

If its just a hobby however, I'd much rather be able to replicate Slash's playing. I had a few people (some friends, some randoms) walk into a room once when I started playing the Sweet Child intro. My tone was basically identical, and they were stunned at what they heard. I was immediately asked me how the hell it was possible to get that reverb-driven tone we hear on the record, because its a well-known fact the a Les Paul's muddy neck pickup won't permit a tone like that with a standalone amp. Everyone was impressed.

I want people to be amazed that I can replicate the tone, sound and playing of perhaps the most successful guitarist in history. The sad reality is that you can be damn sure in the music industry, whatever you do, someone has already done it better, and plus we all know rock is a dying breed. We may as well stick to playing guitar as a hobby the way I see the world, there are better ways to make money.
We are buying what your selling...

"perhaps the most successful guitarist in history" There is something about this statement that doesn't sit right , perhaps it is false. As sensational as Slash may be to some , you got me. Great hobby and playing but you might gloating just a little.
I would like to aspire something a little darker from a Television theme. Metalocolypse "I ejaculate fire" first song . Most successful fictional band :
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hxUU0o10vM]Dethklok - Dethalbum III (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube[/ame]

X2203xman

Reaction score
Gloat hell,just plain bragging.Give me proof, post your damn tutorial,or be done with it.I don't care,I just don't believe you.Always better to let others say that you have nailed something perfectly,it just goes over better.You-tube vid,with a magic marker sign that reads " MFslash tone" The only thing that you have proven,is that you can stir up a bunch of shit.I will apologize when you post the vid.Brag on.

newbies

Reaction score
Gloat hell,just plain bragging.Give me proof, post your damn tutorial,or be done with it.I don't care,I just don't believe you.Always better to let others say that you have nailed something perfectly,it just goes over better.You-tube vid,with a magic marker sign that reads " MFslash tone" The only thing that you have proven,is that you can stir up a bunch of shit.I will apologize when you post the vid.Brag on.

It was good playin mate, but agree with 2203xman...... you have been talking about this tutorial for 6 months

:wallbash::deadhorse:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score

Slash Tone- I think your real talent is creating entertaining threads. Your chances of becoming slash are not slim...the chances are never ever. Anyways- one slash is bad enough...we don't need two. People are amazed when you play the intro to Sweet Child??? Your ma and sister don't count. Renounce slash before you end up on TMZ..."stalker apprehended at the gates..." J/K....do what ya want.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Put up or shut up.

No tutorial = pimply-faced troll

Slash Tone

Reaction score
Slash Tone- I think your real talent is creating entertaining threads. Your chances of becoming slash are not slim...the chances are never ever. Anyways- one slash is bad enough...we don't need two. People are amazed when you play the intro to Sweet Child??? Your ma and sister don't count. Renounce slash before you end up on TMZ..."stalker apprehended at the gates..." J/K....do what ya want.
Read my post again to prevent yourself looking more stupid

Slash Tone

Reaction score
Regardless of whether I put up a tutorial, its obvious that I'm not a fraud. When I first posted my Sweet Child O Mine tone back in December, I did it in an insulting manner. People retaliated by saying my guitar was out of tune, and that my playing sucked (which it did), but no one denied the tone. It was as close to Slash's as you can get.

For what its worth, I'm writing the tutorial now. I'll be honest though, trolls like Micky / Charveldan / Damiembiele / Lo-Tek / thenoodler are making me reconsider.

33KHD

Reaction score
Well F*#% me, I did it again. I read 5 pages and the only thing I learned is that ST is higher maintenance than my Ex-wife

Slash Tone

Reaction score
Just like slash himself...this troll is nothing but a shit stirrer....and has gone beyond being even remotely amusing....glad he likes my 30 year old live board cuts tho..lol
You didn't even accept my tone challenge. Just stick to mediocrity

33KHD

Reaction score
You sound surprised

I actually gave you the benefit of doubt, I thought perhaps you had matured a bit by now.

I was wrong. Not to worry, I don't make the same mistake twice.

This forum is a group of like-minded individuals sharing an interest in guitar and specifically, the products produced by Marshall. It is a collection of experienced players who take the time to share their knowledge and newer players who join to ask questions to further their hobby.

I have only met 1 member in person but based on my perception of many of the guys here, I believe I could easily sit with them to share stories over a beer.

I consider it a bit of a brotherhood. Membership is not earned here, but for me, it's still a brotherhood. Maybe it's just my age but the older I get, the more respect I have for a basic level of maturity.

If this were anything but the Internet your membership would have been revoked long ago.

But feel free to carry on....one day you'll fit into big boy pants.

Slash Tone

Reaction score
I actually gave you the benefit of doubt, I thought perhaps you had matured a bit by now.

I was wrong. Not to worry, I don't make the same mistake twice.

This forum is a group of like-minded individuals sharing an interest in guitar and specifically, the products produced by Marshall. It is a collection of experienced players who take the time to share their knowledge and newer players who join to ask questions to further their hobby.

I have only met 1 member in person but based on my perception of many of the guys here, I believe I could easily sit with them to share stories over a beer.

I consider it a bit of a brotherhood. Membership is not earned here, but for me, it's still a brotherhood. Maybe it's just my age but the older I get, the more respect I have for a basic level of maturity.

If this were anything but the Internet your membership would have been revoked long ago.

But feel free to carry on....one day you'll fit into big boy pants.
anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Read my post again to prevent yourself looking more stupid

I enjoy looking stupid. I've nearly perfected looking stupid in fact. I feel it helps me blend into my surroundings as I negotiate day to day living. Did you not notice I was kidding. Lighten up a little!!! It's all in fun. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts