I can't get myself to sell a single one of my guitars...

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow whats new with you bud!
Nothing new just trying to stay busy, in my trade (carpenter) it’s always slow this time of year.
But it’s been worse this year than most I have had to endure.
You would think I would be playing more.
But it’s just the opposite, I tend to not play much when I am out of work.
Cheers to tomorrow.

Thanks for asking brother

Exotic

Reaction score
well one thing is for sure ,you're not kwai chang kane .
he once said to a catholic monk " you own nothing so you're not bound to anything .
u got a problem with material possessions ,simple as that welcome to the club . don't sell any of them ,u will regret it later .

G Dunn

Reaction score
I have 2 guitars that are not going anywhere, but anything else is subject to be sold. I've gotten rid of so many Gibsons simply because I decide I want something else.

dro

Reaction score
First time I sold a guitar. Was a gigging guitar that I had taken out of the mix by 1985. Think I sold it in 1988.
At that time, I had more guitars that I wasn't using anymore, than guitars I was. I regretted that sale, shortly after. And still do at times. Was one of the very first G&L F-100's off the line.
Today, the oldest guitars I bought new are a 2006 Les Paul, and a 2007 J-185ec.

Calebz

Reaction score
I haven't gotten rid of a guitar in probably 15 years. The last time I did, it was a couple mid-level Ibanez electrics. Had some friends with kids that been playing long enough to need an upgrade from their starter guitars. So I let the kids 'borrow' the guitars. One has since upgraded to a les paul. The other is still rocking the Ibanez.

In my current stable, almost every guitar has a specific 'thing' that the other don't (the two exceptions are both cheap backups for stage gear).

I have 4 guitars that I just don't play anymore.

2016 Epiphone Iommi SG - nothing wrong with it. I just like playing my LP shaped things more. But it's too cool to get rid of.

2007 Schecter Diamond Hellraiser. Perfect in every way. Bought it new as a birthday present for myself years ago. Generally don't play fender scaled guitars much anymore. Between sentimental attachment and the fact that it's the prettiest guitar I own, can't sell it.

2021 Harley benton jazzmaster clone kit. Christmas present from the wife. Nuff said😄

Early 2000s yamaha bass. Ugly-ish. Active pickups. Great metal bass. I play a Pbass 99.999% of the time. But what if I want to bust out my shcecter (emgs) and my rectifier and play some metal? Would be stupid to not have a good metal bass on hand. Can't sell that one either.

ElKabong

Reaction score
For me, I like to live without regret. I wouldn't sell any of them. I tend to think of a valuable collection as my daughter's tax free inheritance, that I get to enjoy while I'm here.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Whatever that non bound, thin, LP is.
My custom would crush it and a handbuilt LP should do the same....

Funny, you were right. And in the end it wasn't the look or the feel, it was the sound. I even swapped pickups, in the mix wth the band the guitar sounded thin, brittle and scratchy... :/

So, when's this new Les Paul supposed to show up ? ? ?

Neck is being built right now. Hopefully I'll have her by summer :)

@GuitarIV any progress on this?

Yeah... well funny how life works. Since I started this thread I sold 3 guitars you see in the picture (and aquired 2 new ones) :lol:

The Gibson LP Tribute had to go because of the sound. Nothing wrong with the feel or the looks of it, but as said it sounded thin and brittle... nothing I imagine a good LP sounding like. Not the "Tele on steroids" sound, but weak and whimpy. So off it went.

A friend from Germany reached out to me for the ESP M-II and offered me a very good price on it. I loved that thing, but I moved away from pointy metal guitars and Floyds so the money was tempting and it found a good home with him. He plays in a Thrash band and uses it live, so now it's being played on a regular basis again instead of sitting in a case.

The Ibanez FR found a new owner a few days ago. Nothing wrong with the guitar, great sound, great craftmanship, awesome playability except for the neck... pencil thin. For shredding it was great but as soon as I'd play any barre chords on it my right hand would cramp up like crazy.

All my other guitars have thicker profiles and narrower fretboards and I have no problems whatsoever. Go figure.

In the meantime I aquired 2 new guitars. One Jim Root Telecaster where I swapped the hardware for chrome and installed a set of Häussel pickups:
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-12 at 11.50.22 (4).jpeg

Great playing, sounding and feeling guitar.

The other one is an extremly figured flame maple super Strat by the same luthier that's building my LP right now... found it used for a good price. I'll post a NGD thread as soon as I have her back from the fret dress ;)

jeffp

Reaction score
I have the same issues, and as far as I know there is no cure. It's a terminal condition.

I'm just going to have to die with all my guitars, amps, pedals, and let someone else not as attached deal with it.
i understand. they are like my oldest friends! just can’t do it!

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
Its hard to give advice on this that might be useful to you. Collecting guitars is not a bad thing.
For me, At this stage, pun intended, i only buy guitars i will gig with. So no big money gitars for me.
My gig gutars are Epi and fender both Usa and Indo, Prs Se , etc.
but amps i buy high end.

G the wildman

Reaction score
Yea, I have 9 Gibson Les Paul's, and a few other guitars. There's one Les Paul I keep meaning to list for sale. But I just haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe one day soon I'll list it. Maybe not. I'm not sure.
Goodness me, How do they differ from each other.

I had two Strats both different sounds, but some kind of OCD illness got me and said you don’t want to guitars the same, so I sold one.

I have the same issue with amps - one in, one out.

I get a bit cranky when kit is around that is not getting used.

G

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goodness me, How do they differ from each other.

I had two Strats both different sounds, but some kind of OCD illness got me and said you don’t want to guitars the same, so I sold one.

I have the same issue with amps - one in, one out.

I get a bit cranky when kit is around that is not getting used.

G

I'm down to 8 since the post you quoted.

I have a variety of pickups. Only 2 have original pickups. Otherwise I have a variety of low output pickups from different companies/people. Several aren't vastly different, but still have their own character. Obviously, I could live with fewer, but I choose not to. I'm a big LP fan.

Now, I only have one Tele, one SSS Strat, one HSS Strat, one Semi-Hollow, one acoustic.

Shred Monster

Reaction score
I know this sounds like a very first world problem to have but here's the thing:

Over the years I have traded, bought and sold quite a few instruments.

Lots of them were ok, some were great, others were meh. In the end the ones I liked the most have stayed.

Now lately I have less time for playing, so I tend to grab maybe 2 guitars from my collection. That got me thinking. I have a handbuilt Les Paul Custom on the way, so I wanted to sell off at least one guitar to "make space".

So today I grabbed a few to pick one that I'd let go... and they all felt friggin great to play! Now I have some contenders that don't sound as good as the others, but every single one of them has it's charm, it's strengths and weaknesses.

75th Anniversary Telecaster:

The most I paid for a guitar so far (it was new), has tons of sustain, almost LP like, chunky low end, sounds great with the band and in the mix, looks beautiful and feels awesome.

Ibanez FR 1620 Prestige:

Got it in a trade not long ago, was unsure at first because of the paper thin neck (one of the thinnest out of all the guitars I own) but funny enough I got used to it very quick. Feels great, stable as a rock, sounds great in the mix as well, plays like a dream for fast and shreddy stuff, perfect body countours and the modern Telecaster shape is something you don't see everyday.

ESP E2 Eclipse:

This was one of my first proper expensive guitars, got a killer deal on it (50% of retail, blow out sale) and it introduced me to the world of Japanese craftmanship. The modern take on the Les Paul, lightweight, thin body, huge frets, great neck profile and flawless build quality. It sounds a bit more like a SG than a thick LP, but for rock and metal it does a great job.

ESP M-II:

The only guitar with a Floyd I haven't sold. Lowest action of all guitars I ever played. Sounds great for rhythm and lead, neck feels amazing, again flawless craftmanship. Looks killer with the reverse headstock.

Gibson LP Tribute:

My newest addition. Lightweight, great playability, looks sexy, sounds crunchy and bright. This one feels the "cheapest" compared to the others, but it has a raw attitude and sound that made me decide to keep it in the first place, especially now that I gave it a proper setup and replaced a few things. It's a working mans Gibson, even more so than the Studio.

Then there are a few others I won't sell out of sentimental value, like my grandfathers Framus Hollywood, his Höfner Violin Bass and the custom built Strat my parents got me for my 18th birthday.

That makes me wonder... do I simply need to start circling my guitars more frequently again? Different tunings, different songs? I'm unsure what to do.

Have you ever been in the same situation?

Cheers guys
My EVH and Charvel axes. The action is A1. I just couldnt part with any really. I have chronic GAS.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
New updated family picture:

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-21 at 12.46.11 (1).jpeg

The Jim Root to the left and the Flamed Superstrat to the right are the new additions... now the only thing missing is the LP my luthier is building and I'm more than set :)