I just do not get it.

• Thread starter captcoolaid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I do not get the high price people pay for some guitars because of a name. This is sparked by the new Blackmore Strat. Why would you pay that exorbitant amount for a custom shop guitar. Not even at that price but a Strat for 4 grand give me a fucking break. It is fucking Alder 1 piece or 3 piece has 0 tone affect. Now I get the desire for 1 piece bodies with the whole trans colors, but WTF I can build the Strat of my dreams for 1200 bucksactually a lot less. That is going through Warmoth and paying a premium.

Now before some one says but I can not bhuild one, or I do not have the time or space. There is a guy who does this for a reasonable price. Is it the logo. Fuck that if that makes that big of a difference then buy the water slide.

Confused at best. I just do not get it.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
Hell you can Warmoth the body
Buy the finest electronics and pickups
get the best hardware
and then go to eBay and purchase a Custom Shop Neck 100% Fender
and be out the door for $1500 bucks and it'll say Fender Custom Shop right on it

aaron s.

Reaction score
Or say to hell with the fender and get a carvin custom
You can customize those how you want and the come put together

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, by the same logic it is easier to build a 2203/2204/1987/1059/2210/2555 and tune it to your spec but it still is not a Marshall. But I do understand your point. Thought I wanted a YJM 100 then I customized a 50 watt Plexi and put it in a large Headbox. This is what malmsteen plays. It's all in the suit that you wear. IMO $5000 is too much for any single guitar or amp.

My $.02

johnfv

Reaction score
Well, by the same logic it is easier to build a 2203/2204/1987/1059/2210/2555 and tune it to your spec but it still is not a Marshall...
David, I have great respect for you. I have owned (still own) and have worked on stage and in the studio with many classic Marshalls. I have a Ceritatone 2204HW that very well may be the best Marshall I've ever played. I understand your point but to me, it's a Marshall. My partscasters are Strats some of them are Fender, the best ones are not :)

Of course, YMMV...

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
David, I have great respect for you. I have owned (still own) and have worked on stage and in the studio with many classic Marshalls. I have a Ceritatone 2204HW that very well may be the best Marshall I've ever played. I understand your point but to me, it's a Marshall. My partscasters are Strats some of them are Fender, the best ones are not :)

Of course, YMMV...

Agreed. I did not say some of my built gear was not an improvement on the original, as I believe they are improved. But that a couple of old Strats will not be replaced easily by anything hand crafted, by Fender or anyone else. My 1963 Bassman falls under this as well. However the Plexi is now a monster. 5K is an insult to me. My son spent that on a blue face custom ordered VH4 and I just shook my head in disbelief. To each their own. Guess my point is yes $5000 is way too much.

Now I will likely spend $3500 on a 1972 white alder and maple Strat before long but that is different, .............or is it?

The respect reciprocates. Thank you.

johnfv

Reaction score
I did learn there is something magic about checked nitro over alder. I have two MJT bodies that are outstanding. This one is my favorite, I think the only Fender part on it is the 5 way switch. Still it is one of the best Strats I have ever held. The good news? Barely over $1000 to build...
Ultimately I'm agreeing with captcoolaid. You can build a fantastic Strat for not much more than a grand.
8488d1333311552-stratocaster-thread-redrosewood2.jpg

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I did learn there is something magic about checked nitro over alder. I have two MJT bodies that are outstanding. This one is my favorite, I think the only Fender part on it is the 5 way switch. Still it is one of the best Strats I have ever held. The good news? Barely over $1000 to build...
Ultimately I'm agreeing with captcoolaid. You can build a fantastic Strat for not much more that a grand.
8488d1333311552-stratocaster-thread-redrosewood2.jpg

Beautiful axe. I like the wood grain and color combo.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
i think the point is, and american deluxe strat is about 1,700. Which is alot for a nice guitar, but not out of the ballpark. An SRV strat, ....also 1700.

The CS Ritchie Blackmore strat however is about 5,000. ....as is the Dave Gilmour.

Now seriously, WTF could they possibly do to the blackmore or gilmore that they don't do to the SRV to warrent another $3000 fucking dollars... ??????????????

I don't get it either bro....

I mean, ok, ones a custom shop and ones production,... but the custom shop Jeff Beck in 'only' $3500.... again, WTF does the gilmour have that the beck doesn't have that is worth another $1500

makes no sense to me.

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
Well I'm against signature gear in general, being pedals, amps or guitars. I'm sure people have their reasons to buy them, but I'm sure the good important reasons are the benefit the companies get out of marketing and simple psychology.

Same goes for distressed stuff or "aged", I think it's wrong on many levels.

Finally, I do however own a Gibson...which is a big mainstream brand. The reason being, besides liking it, is that it also has a good resale value. Not that I'm planning to sell it or that my purchase was affected by that particular reason, but, it was nice to know about it. I remember how hard (and how much money I lost) while selling my 2 Bernie Rico Jr custom guitars, I paid 10 grand for both, and ended up selling them for close to 6.5, just because nobody knows them.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I built this with the best products available. Accept the trem. 2 piece alder body, figured maple neck, Martinsixstrings customs vintage spec harness aged with a 1962 paper in wax cap, aged pg and knobs. I wound the bridge pickup and had Bill at electric city pickups do me a neck and middle as i wanted them to true vintage tone. The tuners are fender locking tuners. I built this guitar for 400 bucks.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

And i had the neck recarved by a master luthier named Roman Rist. There is no way they can justify the dollar amount and frankly it pisses me off.

thrawn86

Reaction score
I like how your neck blocks your website name and makes it look like MadHoe-Designs.com :D