• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I played a JCM800 tonight....

• Thread starter chuckmehh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
To me, the Marshall JCM800 is the amp that put Marshall where it is.

The JCM800 is also the most inconsistent amp that they ever made. Some of them sound horrible while some of them have a tone that is so thick, so monsterous and so sexy that you are looking for the vagina on it. Or at least another hole to stick something into :lol:

Best amp I have ever played was a 1989 JCM800 100 watter. I plugged in a Jackson with stock pickups (bland ass pickups) and it still sounded killer. With a Tube Screamer and my Gibson Flying V plugged into it, I may have ended up jizzing all over the place :lol:

I didn't have the money to buy it and couldn't get that kinda money at the time. It was expensive.

I have played a few JCM800's that were very poor sounding though.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
*Back to the thread*

Cool that you tried the 2204, I still have to try one.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
2204's are sick. If you're going to play metal, forget the 2204 and go for the 2203. The 2204 is not going to sound very modern when cranked. The 2203's will still sound tight at high volumes with more definition in the low end and more overall punch. I've got both and I would never consider the 50w version for any kind of modern heavy metal.

Ken

Reaction score

dptone5

Reaction score
Chuck,

I remember the day I bought my JCM 800 2203X from someone local off Craigslist. He brought it to my house, I plugged in, put the MV at 5 and the tone settings where I like them and WOW!!! It doesn't get much better than that.

I also have the JMP 2204 50W head from 1980. They are both great amps and as you have said, with a good OD pedal in front, it is unbelievable tone!!

Best wishes my friend and I hope you find a great one!

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Chuck,

I remember the day I bought my JCM 800 2203X from someone local off Craigslist. He brought it to my house, I plugged in, put the MV at 5 and the tone settings where I like them and WOW!!! It doesn't get much better than that.

I also have the JMP 2204 50W head from 1980. They are both great amps and as you have said, with a good OD pedal in front, it is unbelievable tone!!

yeah i just got me a 2203x and i have got an original jcm 800 single channel from 82(best amp i heard)...i tell you man marshall did a very good job on the those 2203x . The crunch is there and tone for days. the factory preamp tubes need changing but the tone compare to the original is almost there(my 82 jcm 800 has mullard power tubes from the 60"s so maybe that contributes to the difference maybe not).The test for the 2203x is at my band practice where i will be able to crank it a little

Last edited:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Or its a threesome.

You, TOGETHER with your amp (he's like your best buddy, someone your comfortable with pulling you dick out) have to make that bitch(guitar) squeal.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
Damn apparently I need to try a 2203 now! With the boost on that 2204, it was pretty damn tight. I was enjoying myself and played it again today. Best amp EVER for leads. Sustain for days and just a great amp for harmonics too :O I think I'm in love...

j2112c

Reaction score
They are great, they have sufficient gain for rhythm 80's metal, but not enough you cannot back the guitar volume off to clean up without losing too much volume... and then with a booster you have a lead channel and they sing!:headbanger::headbanger:

Another thing is that they are quite bright... so many modern amps are darkly voiced... buy a 2204/2203 -800 series amp and you can run it in stereo with almost any modern amp you buy in the future...:)

if you have twin guitars in your band and they are on a modern amp (with of course a few exceptions) you will stand out and apart from him (or her).:)

I agree with Michael RT in that the late 1970s are my favourites... but if an effects loop is important look at one of the reissues, my 2204 had a loop put in it and a delay through it makes it sound LUSH!!!!!!

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
They are great, they have sufficient gain for rhythm 80's metal, but not enough you cannot back the guitar volume off to clean up without losing too much volume... and then with a booster you have a lead channel and they sing!:headbanger::headbanger:

Another thing is that they are quite bright... so many modern amps are darkly voiced... buy a 2204/2203 -800 series amp and you can run it in stereo with almost any modern amp you buy in the future...:)

if you have twin guitars in your band and they are on a modern amp (with of course a few exceptions) you will stand out and apart from him (or her).:)

I agree with Michael RT in that the late 1970s are my favourites... but if an effects loop is important look at one of the reissues, my 2204 had a loop put in it and a delay through it makes it sound LUSH!!!!!!

This is what it sounds like with the delay in front of the amp. :D:D

Great amp for '80 metal. :dude::dude:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlI9v80pbo]‪Marshall 1978 JMP 2204 with Delay.‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice clip - very clean playing! 800's really nail that tone; it's one of the things a DSL can only come close to but not really get like that.

Ken

Thanks Ken. :cheers:

These 2204's just sing:).........you can get some wicked bluey tone as well.

Once you play one ...........you're hooked. :)

CrispyTone

Reaction score
Thanks Ken. :cheers:

These 2204's just sing:).........you can get some wicked bluey tone as well.

Once you play one ...........you're hooked. :)

Are you boosting it or is that just the amp's gain? So the delay works well in front of the overdriven amp? Nice sound.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you boosting it or is that just the amp's gain? So the delay works well in front of the overdriven amp? Nice sound.

In that video their is no boost just a little delay in front of the amp and it works very well that way............you just have to keep the level very low when using it this way .........I have the master vol. at about 3 and the preamp vol. at 9.....all amp .:)

Latest posts