I think I bought the wrong Cabs.

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sgrady41

Reaction score
I have a MX212, cut 1/3 out of the back in the middle and used plywood and have cream back 75s in it. I agree they need sometime on them and they are sounding good. I bought it due to the wait for another 36.

My 1936 I have green backs in and like the tone in them. I know to each their own preference.

They are completely different but each has its place. Depends on what type of music I am playing.

Additionally I have an origin 50 I put a 65 watt cream in and it made a big difference on that. It is really my pedal amp to experiment.

Being an old guy and not really lugging them around much anymore I have amps for certain tones. AC30, fender, Marshall, Friedman all different with a purpose. Just need a bigger studio now lol.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm talking with Bob from Sourmash. He can build me a new head box no problem, but now I'm asking him if he can build me a 1966 cab to match my white head shell instead. He doesn't list anything like that on his website so I wasn't thinking that way, but it dawned on me to ask once I made contact and started thinking about it differently. If he says he can do it I'm going to do that and have it match my white head shell. I found my gold faceplate and I have Marshall gold tip knobs coming tomorrow (unless the hurricane fucked it up) so it makes sense to get a cab to match and stick with the white.

I have a question. Is 3/4" ply better than 5/8" ply? If he tells me he can build it I want it to be the best it can be. I'm also thinking about going with a black grill cloth instead of the salt and pepper I have on my 112. What do y'all think, will it look good?

Picture this with the cab having a full frontal black grill cloth and the head having a gold faceplate with black lettering...

286YGXN.jpg

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man @DirtySteve , your taste varies fairly frequently doesn’t it bud? :D No offense man, just an observation.

I’m pretty much the opposite, I tend to stick with what I’m using. For a number of years I’ve been playing thru one Mx112, (Creamback Gm65), and a Blackheart 1-12 birch ply cab with a Greenback.

Sounds great with all my heads.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Man @DirtySteve , your taste varies fairly frequently doesn’t it bud? :D No offense man, just an observation.

I’m pretty much the opposite, I tend to stick with what I’m using. For a number of years I’ve been playing thru one Mx112, (Creamback Gm65), and a Blackheart 1-12 birch ply cab with a Greenback.

Sounds great with all my heads.
It seems that way I know. I shouldn't talk so much, but really I'm just thinking out loud most of the time. I can shut up if it would be better. I try to keep my rambling to my own threads. :shrug:

BlueX

Reaction score
What is it you're missing in the tone, that you're looking for? Have you tested a 4x12 lately?

Among 1x12's I think Zilla Cab Fatbaby (oversized 1x12) is great sounding, with a solid low end:

Latest posts