I think I effed up my 4210 plz help

• Thread starter vinceB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vinceB

Reaction score
So here is what happened. The speaker lead shorted red to black, sparks ensue, amp now has no output. The HT fuse is blown tried another and it blew instantly. What have I done?!:mad:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time to test the output transformer as well as the power valves.

That's is a bummer. How did the speaker cable get shorted together?

vinceB

Reaction score
it was a loose connection and it slid off and laid across the other lead. Probably when I pulled the power cord out of the back.

vinceB

Reaction score
Okay I forgot my meter at work but I pulled the tubes out and put a new fuse in and it survived. Put the tubes back and instantly the fuse is blown. I'm going dig out my schematic and look it over because I'm not sure what I'm looking for when I check the transformer. :hmm:

vinceB

Reaction score
I don't have any spare el34 tubes. It's my first Marshall in many years. (I had a Line 6 with 6L6's) It has the original Sovteks from 1989 I believe. The gentleman I bought it from told me it's had the same tubes since he got it in 1995. Either way they are old and I want to replace them but before I place the order I need to be sure I don't have to also order a transformer.

vinceB

Reaction score
Fixed that connection on the speaker though. I may solder that SOB on for good. I do not want a repeat of this fiasco.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Try new tubes first. Look at it this way: If you buy new tubes and then find out the transformer is blown, you wanted to replace the tubes anyway. You already have the tubes so then you can research your transformer options.

If the tubes fix the problem, great. Then you're set and don't have to worry. Tubes are the lowest cost, lowest headache option here.

Ken

Reaction score
Shorting your speaker lead should NOT fry your OT, at least not right away (it will on a SS amp though!). You proved it's okay by pulling the tubes and seeing the fuse survive. Tube time!

Ken

damienbeale

Reaction score
It hasn't proved the OT is okay at all. It has merely proved that the ot hasn't failed in a dead short or short to ground, which is a very rare occurrence anyway. Marshall OT's are not that tough either.

All that said, you need to try new power tubes before you can go any further with this.

69ChevyP/U

Reaction score
Whew!! :applause::slash::shred:

What speaker do you run in that amp? The g12t-75 in mine is hitting the highway. I'm leaning toward a g12-65..

vinceB

Reaction score
There is something screwy with the clean channel I discovered today. It's real choppy and very sensitive to pick attack. Like the signal is barely there until I hit the strings hard then the output is inconsistent and harsh sounding. I need to bias the tubes so it's still "down" but I sure would like to figure out the clean channel

vinceB

Reaction score
That's weak. I was going to buy an new cabinet but I think I'm going to be spending a lot of money getting this old girl into shape. I had a 2205 years ago and I'm trying to find that sound again.:slash:

damienbeale

Reaction score
Hi Vince
Just finished working on one, sounds like your coupling caps are gone...

Pardon? That's a bit rash.

Try cleaning pots and jacks first and carefully checking the solder joints.
It sounds like a bad contact, not bad coupling caps.

Clean tube sockets and retension the pins too.