• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I'm actually kinda sad..Helix content

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I
The HX Stomps have the exact same quality of effects as the HX effects/Helix. It's just smaller. If people don't like the sound of the Stomp then it would be no different with the other.
HX stomp has 1 DSP chip the big version has 2? But yeah, same models. I have seen other forums quote that it is much better after 3.0 upgrade.

Last edited:

giblesp

Reaction score
Well, you may well find yourself going back to analog gear. Or, you'll stay where you are.

As you said, its the convenience of digital gear. As I Kemper user, the convenience of recording with the unit is excellent. But having used just digital gear since 2005, I got a Marshall stack last year and will say without a doubt that I'll use it as much as possible. I'd rather take my DSL combo to a gig or practice, if there are setting up constraints or time restrictions.

So now I'm 50/50 between the two worlds.

I wouldn't get rid of your analog gear just yet, you may plug in one day and realize you were missing something.

end user

Reaction score
I
HX has 1 DSP chip the big version has 2? But yeah, same models. I have seen other forums quote that it is much better after 3.0 upgrade.

Oh it's almost night and day comparatively from 2.9 to 3.1. It really depends on how you use it. I noticed the difference most when using it direct to PA or FRFR. It was a blanket update that increased oversampling which increased sound quality and feel overall.

end user

Reaction score
Well, you may well find yourself going back to analog gear. Or, you'll stay where you are.

As you said, its the convenience of digital gear. As I Kemper user, the convenience of recording with the unit is excellent. But having used just digital gear since 2005, I got a Marshall stack last year and will say without a doubt that I'll use it as much as possible. I'd rather take my DSL combo to a gig or practice, if there are setting up constraints or time restrictions.

So now I'm 50/50 between the two worlds.

I wouldn't get rid of your analog gear just yet, you may plug in one day and realize you were missing something.

Yeah I don't have any plans to dump my analog gear. Maybe pare down the pedals some. Of the 40 or so pedals I have I'd say over 20 of them are overdrives. There are maybe 3 or 4 of them that I really like.

giblesp

Reaction score
Billy Corgan actually uses a Helix FX over his pedals now. If I were to use more than two pedals, I may consider a Helix FX over a complicated pedal board or bypass switch. I'm very keen on not degrading the amps tone as much as possible.

You can switch off the loop on the JVM which is great, but I like the option of keeping the loop on.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I
HX has 1 DSP chip the big version has 2? But yeah, same models. I have seen other forums quote that it is much better after 3.0 upgrade.

I did the 3.0 update and it was cool I guess but it didn't have anything I was interested in besides the 12 string and it was very underwhelming to say the least, to me anyways. I gave it a good run for several months after the 3.0 but ultimately pulled it from the board and have been happy ever since. It's a cool gadget and I'll probably keep it but if I could trade it for a nice little amp head or an 80's style H or HS Floyd super strat I would probably do it.

ampeq

Reaction score
Yeah I don't have any plans to dump my analog gear. Maybe pare down the pedals some. Of the 40 or so pedals I have I'd say over 20 of them are overdrives. There are maybe 3 or 4 of them that I really like.
That is the main problem I have with pedals, you need so many to get a couple good ones. I always see people crying about "tone suck" from effects like the Helix stuff. For me my HX Effects sounds better than most of the pedals I had. I always found every pedal works different with every amp, something that works great with a JCM800 might suck with a JVM or Fender. Each one is also different in the way it colors the tone. On the HX & Helix LT it seems to have less coloration across the line of effects, so trying 10 different delays does not add as much to the sound from one to the other. You can focus more on the effect itself. Also, the effects go were they should which helps make them sound better too. I never liked pedal boards that have 10 pedals of every type all going to the front end, the more stuff turned on the worse they sound. (To me anyway.) I think people talk themselves out of things like this because they get overwhelmed with them. Another thing I see is people tend to "think" some pedal by some name is the do-all end-all pedal and they try to pull up THAT pedal in one of the Line 6 machine. Then it might not sound like the one they have so they deem it junk. I don't even look at the names, I find the sound I want and tweak it, then save it. I can get very good effects that more than satisfy me easily. Especially with this new upgrade. Sometimes just the way you have effects lined up will hurt the sound and it's very easy to check or change the order on Line 6 or similar unit, not so much on a pedal board. To each his own, what ever works best for you is the right answer.

end user

Reaction score
That is the main problem I have with pedals, you need so many to get a couple good ones. I always see people crying about "tone suck" from effects like the Helix stuff. For me my HX Effects sounds better than most of the pedals I had. I always found every pedal works different with every amp, something that works great with a JCM800 might suck with a JVM or Fender. Each one is also different in the way it colors the tone. On the HX & Helix LT it seems to have less coloration across the line of effects, so trying 10 different delays does not add as much to the sound from one to the other. You can focus more on the effect itself. Also, the effects go were they should which helps make them sound better too. I never liked pedal boards that have 10 pedals of every type all going to the front end, the more stuff turned on the worse they sound. (To me anyway.) I think people talk themselves out of things like this because they get overwhelmed with them. Another thing I see is people tend to "think" some pedal by some name is the do-all end-all pedal and they try to pull up THAT pedal in one of the Line 6 machine. Then it might not sound like the one they have so they deem it junk. I don't even look at the names, I find the sound I want and tweak it, then save it. I can get very good effects that more than satisfy me easily. Especially with this new upgrade. Sometimes just the way you have effects lined up will hurt the sound and it's very easy to check or change the order on Line 6 or similar unit, not so much on a pedal board. To each his own, what ever works best for you is the right answer.

You absolutely nailed it on all counts. Totally agree.

JohnH

Reaction score
My guitar teacher uses a Helix system, into a very powerful SS power amp to get all the headroom he needs for his clean jazz gigs. He has had all the usual gear over decades and knows what he wants, and gets any sound required for his professional needs. Its clearly a very practical and sensible rig for him.

It just doesn't appeal to me at all though! For no sensible reason, but I like the traditional gear and to be able to visualize the connections and the flow of the signal and the glowing tubes etc

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I am retired from the workforce so I have the spare time. Both of the Tributes are brand new but there will be videos down the road for sure. I use the Park 75 brt amp for most stuff and goose it with TS and OCD.
Oh yes you did post the Park 75 now as recall.
I have plexi effects pack I down loaded and installed for free and I looked on YouTube at a guy dialing in the Plexi Trem bright I think it was so put that with greenback 20 cab. It’s not bad. First thing on the input you dial in 230hz, then you go to the output and bump the volume up to your liking. He dialed the bass and treble all the way down , maxed the mids and presence. I dialed the gain below 5 upped the channel volume and I think a ribbon mic on the cab. These things have so many features I think some people actually don’t know about.
Tone Junkie Store is where I got the download for free.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Oh it's almost night and day comparatively from 2.9 to 3.1. It really depends on how you use it. I noticed the difference most when using it direct to PA or FRFR. It was a blanket update that increased oversampling which increased sound quality and feel overall.
Bob, I see they have a 3.15 upgrade out. Is this the 3.1 or a newer one? If so does it work better or have anything new in it? I don't like to "upgrade" unless it does something.