In 30 years the amp you bought today is not repairable

• Thread starter wallythacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wallythacker

Reaction score
I was googling images of various Marshall head innards (talk about good pr0n), 800's , 1959's, 900's, 2000's, JVM's and it struck me like a brick.

Right now, today, we can get any Marshall head from any any era repaired to work as good as new. The older Marshalls are the easiest to repair as discrete components still exist by the boxcar load and there are companies still producing the parts. Maybe Marshall doesn't sell the parts but tons of 3rd party companies do.

Now let's jump ahead to more modern Marshalls, let's choose the 2000 family as an example. Let's say your TSL 100w head takes a dump. Let's say it's an op-amp on a board that died on you. At this point in time I don't know if Marshall has a part they will sell you. Just how long does Marshall keep parts for older equipment? 7 years? I suspect you'll have to look on ebay or CL to find a used board to repair your head. But chances are great you'll find what you need. Will a 3rd party have such a part to get you going? Pretty iffy, unless it was a badly designed part in the first place ans some 3rd party companies took the initiative to make a better replacement.

Now let's have a look at the newest Marshall stuff, the JVM. It's pretty sophisticated gear from what I've seen. Well engineered too from what I've read. If there is an issue with your new JVM stuff Marshall will have a replacement part ready to drop in to fix your baby. Off you go happy.

Fast forward 30 years. Your '83 2003 (now 61 years old) stopped working and needs output caps and a few resistors to be back at 100%. Unless the entire replacement component market disappeared you can get your caps and resistors and your '83 2003 roars like it did in 1983.

How about the guy with a now 40 year old TSL100? How does he fare? He's fine getting tubes and pots and caps but he's not getting replacement parts from 3rd parties (not unless it turns out every part XYZ on the 2000 series fails and it makes economic sense for a company to make a better replacement) for any electronic circuits in his beloved head. In many cases he'll be able to score the chips because they were used by a variety of companies in similar applications. So he's got to hope the Ebay/CL market has the parts he needs at a reasonable price. He might get caught in that bind we all hate, the part is plentiful on the market, but the price is stupid high. The part is non-existent on the used market but goes for peanuts, or the worst case, the part is really scarce and the price is stupid high. I think though, overall, with diligence this whole era of gear will be repairable.

But still, I see a lot of guys sadly carting their heads out to the trash. Or parting them out hoping to recover enough to cushion the cost of buying a new head.

What about the guys buying JVMs now? IMO, when they break down in 30 years wheeling them directly to the curb on trash day will be the most intelligent thing to do. Most electronics in them will be custom designed circuits that only exist in Marshall JVM gear and when that supply is gone, it's gone. There are no 3rd party, aftermarket or compatible components available. So you eat the cost of owning it and go buy another. $2500 flushed. Which is crazy because you could have bought a perfect condition '83 2203 for less than you paid for your 410.

So the 410 goes to the trash. The 800 keeps roaring.

Something to think about the next time you lay down $ thousands on gear.

Having rambled on like this I realized I'm going to take what I just read and it put it to use. I'll buy the boards from Ceriatone to convert my cheaply bought Ma100c into a nice vintage sound point to point 2203 jcm 800. In 30 years it's likely my kids will probably need to replace the mdf cabinet moreso than replacing anything major with the electrics.

tl;dr

A $1500 1983 JCM 800 will probably still be servicable in 40 years time while a $1500 JVM will become trash long before then.

Last edited:

JSJ900

Reaction score
Buy used. Buy two amps.

I probalbly won't care by then. The'll have something new. My hands might not even work. We may be playing guitar matrix style or something.

Even if I spent $3000 on an an amp now(fat chance), what will that buy me in 30 years, a couple packs of 10s?

Rokinroller

Reaction score
In 30 years you will totally forget about tube amps. They will go the way tube TV's went. Cant even give them away. Its a reality that has already started. Sad for us tube-lover guys but true and real. I've already seen guys doing gigs with their laptops sporting incredible simulations of any tube amp you may want or need. Geeze , even the drummers are inside the laptops...entire orchestrations if you want. And yeah man....this shit sounds really good.
Big, heavy ,hot expensive tube heads will be a joke , and obsolete. New technology will rule. Its already happening.

wallythacker

Reaction score
Your example reinforces what he was saying. ;)

Ya, thanks

I don't know if amps will go obsolete. What happens then to the value of 57 Strats and 59 Les Pauls and all the other vintage guitars? They go to zero?

In 30 years my kids will be in their mid 40's and will either embrace the collection or have disposed of them. Since they are avid players now I doubt they will dispose of anything as they already are digging the vintage idea.

roycaster

Reaction score
I’ve worked on electronics; I’ve had to do this kind of work before. Obsolete and no longer available chips have been a fact of life for at least last 15 years. You have to learn oscilloscopes, and you have to learn schematics. You just source the replacement component and jump traces to make it work. It’s nothing a competent electronics tech can’t do. But it is time consuming, so if you’re paying shop rates it will be expensive…

Frodebro

Reaction score
I don't know if amps will go obsolete. What happens then to the value of 57 Strats and 59 Les Pauls and all the other vintage guitars? They go to zero?

In 30 years my kids will be in their mid 40's and will either embrace the collection or have disposed of them. Since they are avid players now I doubt they will dispose of anything as they already are digging the vintage idea.

Amps won't go obsolete, but the chances are pretty good that Russia and China will reach a level technologically where they no longer rely on tubes, and will cease production. That's where the future of tube amps is in danger.

Frodebro

Reaction score
IMO, the OP's argument is based on a false assumption of:

Thirty years from now, the average Joe will prefer 30 year old gear.

Buggy whips come to mind.......

Don't ruin it for him!

The reality is that kids are cutting their teeth on MP3s, video games, and modeling amps. The things that we grew up with (vinyl albums, playing REAL sports outside, and tube amps) are all considered 'old'.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:D Besides, in Thirty Years I should be busy playing around with my Jetson Car. And of Course: the OP is ASSUMING every amp built won't be Digital and all the Analog Parts totally unavailble including TUBES.

:cool::cool: TWIN

Ghostman

Reaction score
The chips used in the marshall amps are readily available chipsets designed for many uses. I doubt any of these chips are specifically designed for Marshall. Even if they have the Marshall logo on them, it's a common practice to order existing designs, with a specific logo from the chip manufacturer.

It's way too costly for any electronics company to order very specific chips from IC companies. Unless they are buying in the realm of 10's of thousands of them.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Eh.. I'll pay the kid who mows the lawn for me to fix it. Or Ricky Martin. He'll probably be looking for work.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, things will break, and you either get them fixed or buy something new. That's the way things are now, and I suppose that's the way things will be 30 years from now. Enjoy what you have now. What's the point of worrying about what will happen 30 years from now?

dreyn77

Reaction score
In some ways reality will be totally different but in lots of ways it won't change.

What will herald the death of valve amps will also be the death of guitars, and that's the result of the next gen. who won't like to listen to old stuff. just like you don't listen to 1920's recordings.
I've already forgotten MOST of the bands from the 70's.
I almost can't remember what happened back then.

If what happened back then isn't put into children's books, then it's all lost to time.

I have seen in the bookshops, new books based on popular culture today.

If you don't tell the kids, their not going to know or care.
Add to that waves of people from other countries and you have NO chance.
It's amazing that we still remember the wealthy from the past.
lol ! :(

I look at the recent dead and think, "What's left from their life?"
the only thing is their children.

the recent dead people went all through school, onto uni, got great jobs, worked hard, made a family, kept going and then passed away and what's left? essentially, nothing. living people but that's about it. :(

The house they lived in gets ripped down, the school they went to school at gets ripped down, etc...

It's one part/aspect of keeping lots of people poor.

The industry pros have deemed an amp has a life of 10 years and it's written in stone. so where you got this idea of 30 years, is only in your imagination.

They still don't understand, voltage, magnatisum, the weak force, the strong force, gravity etc... 70%+ of matter in the universe still unknown, unseen.

Coronado

Reaction score
Eh, so I'll make a nice coffee table out of the 410, change my diaper, and play whatever is "cool and collectable" in 30 years. Saving my concerns for that little prick thats dating my daughter...