In praise of service at the Marshall factory

• Thread starter davidj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

davidj

Reaction score
I bought a JCM 900 combo in poor shape from a bandmate. My repair skills are near-zero so after a bit of pointless tinkering I phoned the factory in Milton Keynes. I arranged to drop the amp off (less than an hour away from me - plus I got to look around). Super-helpful and within a day I had an assesment and a quote to overhaul it. A couple of hundred quid to replace faulty pots, valves, resistors, capacitors and deliver it back to me. It'll be back with me tomorrow and I'll take the plunge and use it at a festival gig on Friday night. I used to have exactly the same amp so I know how to get the sounds I want from it. A very reasonable price and they've kept me well informed about progress and have been as friendly and helpful as you'd want. So unless you see another post from me to say it isn't working or they've lost it (!), I'm a happy bunny and would recommend anyone in the UK to consider them for servicing.

Kuga

Reaction score
I bought a JCM 900 combo in poor shape from a bandmate. My repair skills are near-zero so after a bit of pointless tinkering I phoned the factory in Milton Keynes. I arranged to drop the amp off (less than an hour away from me - plus I got to look around). Super-helpful and within a day I had an assesment and a quote to overhaul it. A couple of hundred quid to replace faulty pots, valves, resistors, capacitors and deliver it back to me. It'll be back with me tomorrow and I'll take the plunge and use it at a festival gig on Friday night. I used to have exactly the same amp so I know how to get the sounds I want from it. A very reasonable price and they've kept me well informed about progress and have been as frientdly and helpful as you'd want. So unless you see another post from me to say it isn't working or they've lost it (!), I'm a happy bunny and would recommend anyone in the UK to consider them for servicing.
I would like live near Milton Keynes. I would carry my Marshall's just to check them. I know my LM6100 it's not in perfect order condition.

davidj

Reaction score
Just to finish the story. The amp arrived safely on time and I used it last night at a small festival gig. So glad I did - I'm in a 70s prog-rock band and the amp is perfect for (very) early Genesis, Pink Floyd, Focus, Rush, Jethro Tull etc. Happy days!

Last edited:

abkeller1

Reaction score
I bought a JCM 900 combo in poor shape from a bandmate. My repair skills are near-zero so after a bit of pointless tinkering I phoned the factory in Milton Keynes. I arranged to drop the amp off (less than an hour away from me - plus I got to look around). Super-helpful and within a day I had an assesment and a quote to overhaul it. A couple of hundred quid to replace faulty pots, valves, resistors, capacitors and deliver it back to me. It'll be back with me tomorrow and I'll take the plunge and use it at a festival gig on Friday night. I used to have exactly the same amp so I know how to get the sounds I want from it. A very reasonable price and they've kept me well informed about progress and have been as friendly and helpful as you'd want. So unless you see another post from me to say it isn't working or they've lost it (!), I'm a happy bunny and would recommend anyone in the UK to consider them for servicing.
that's not fair you have them in your backyard.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Marshall have always had the best customer service ever. They basically charge you for the parts at trade price and almost nothing for the labour and if you're under warranty they just bung you new stuff right there. And they do it quick and they do it right (as they ought to) and they're super friendly.
@davidj let me know when your next gig is - wouldn't mind seeing your band.

davidj

Reaction score
A year on from this thread and I suspect things have changed. There is no longer anything useful on the Marshall website like a phone number or an email address. A year ago I rang them, reception put me throught to a friendly tech and I arranged everthing by interacting with real humans who cared if my (discontinued) Marshall was still working or not. The receptionist even asked me if I'd like a tour of the factory when I visited. Now the contact form on the website asks you which (current) model you have and offers to arrange warranty repairs through a network of "partners". The new owners have placed the dead hand of corporate conformity on the place it seems. Someone please tell me I am being overly pessimistic.........

purpleplexi

Reaction score
That would be terrible. I've been to get stuff fixed there several times and it's always been a feel good experience. One time I was having an amp tested and Lemmie's roadie walked in with his amp Murder One for a checkover.
Too bad if it's true.....

Geeze

Reaction score
I find it sad and frustrating that companies don't have the vision to see how they erode or destroy their reputation by clinging to pennies. The bean counter / stock driven company model kills innovation and in many cases product quality. The first area acquired firms trim is customer service as they can't measure the incredible value it brings to the company just the salary burden.

I apologize for the rant.

Russ

RangerJay

Reaction score
It is a travesty that the new web site combines Marshall amps with "branded" consumer audio listening devices. Two different audiences, perhaps with some overlap, but not much. Throwing them together like they are "equal partners" on the product spectrum is not clever marketing.

To me, it kind of "disrespects" the amp line. I don't want the basic consumer stuff in my face. If anything, I would prefer that they are separated cleanly, like Fender and Orange do it. When I go to look at amps, I get a quick route to amps and the other crap stays out of my way.

I know it's business. But a big part of Marshall is legacy. And for good reason. The analog sound of tube amps is THE sound of electric guitars. Why do you think all the "modelers" out there emulate tube amps? There is a place for digital models, just not in my space.

I am old and set in my ways, but I am not a Luddite. I just prefer the real thing and occasionally fork over my money for guitars and amps. I am not alone (I don't think). Show me a quality product with good customer service and perhaps we have a deal. Show me cheap stuff that breaks and poor customer service and I am gone.

Time to plug my trusty LP into an SV20 and turn it up.

davidj

Reaction score
It is a travesty that the new web site combines Marshall amps with "branded" consumer audio listening devices. Two different audiences, perhaps with some overlap, but not much. Throwing them together like they are "equal partners" on the product spectrum is not clever marketing.

To me, it kind of "disrespects" the amp line. I don't want the basic consumer stuff in my face. If anything, I would prefer that they are separated cleanly, like Fender and Orange do it. When I go to look at amps, I get a quick route to amps and the other crap stays out of my way.

I know it's business. But a big part of Marshall is legacy. And for good reason. The analog sound of tube amps is THE sound of electric guitars. Why do you think all the "modelers" out there emulate tube amps? There is a place for digital models, just not in my space.

I am old and set in my ways, but I am not a Luddite. I just prefer the real thing and occasionally fork over my money for guitars and amps. I am not alone (I don't think). Show me a quality product with good customer service and perhaps we have a deal. Show me cheap stuff that breaks and poor customer service and I am gone.

Time to plug my trusty LP into an SV20 and turn it up.
I agree - the Swedish parent company who bought Marshall makes bluetooth speakers and clearly wanted to use the Marshall brand reputation to boost marketability. The UK music chains that carry Marshall Amps now also promote the speakers on their YouTube channels. Someone from Marshall has presumably leant on them to do it. I don't have a particular problem with any of that but it strikes me they are mistaken if part of the plan is to cheapen the core product offering. The brand has a strong value for a reason, So many companies learn that the hard way and I hope that's not the way Marshall goes.

davidj

Reaction score
What happens when you dial the old number?
Not sure I still have it - i got it from the website at the time. If there is a contact number now it's well hidden, I'll check again and try.....

davidj

Reaction score
Not sure I still have it - i got it from the website at the time. If there is a contact number now it's well hidden, I'll check again and try.....
OK - I give up. There is no contact number - you can either fill in a form online or use "live chat" - which requires you to submit the same information as the form anyway.

davidj

Reaction score
Update. I found an old email from the service department with a phone number on it. I called and yes - the service department still exists and they will work on older kit! I'm a bit happier to know this - but you have to wonder how long the service will be available if the official website doesn't even give a number...

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Update. I found an old email from the service department with a phone number on it. I called and yes - the service department still exists and they will work on older kit! I'm a bit happier to know this - but you have to wonder how long the service will be available if the official website doesn't even give a number...
I'm sure I have an email somewhere from service - I meant to look for it yesterday. Glad you tracked that down. If you get a moment and can PM me the number I'd be grateful...

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score

I'm sure I have an email somewhere from service - I meant to look for it yesterday. Glad you tracked that down. If you get a moment and can PM me the number I'd be grateful...

Imo, the number should be pinned at the top of the forum for all to see.

Up The Steen

Reaction score
Probably just trying to 'streamline' the process by making it more complicated like all big corporate companies do. Just the usual bollocks.