Invasion of Used 2555X's

• Thread starter Human Steve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few used, and it just looks gray to me. :cool: Silver, gray, it really doesn't matter what you call it, I just personally don't care for it. Just seems like a ploy to get you to buy the matching cab. I'd have prefered good old black ...

View attachment 24889
No ploy... The silver tolex covering for 1987 is 100% consonant with Marshall's 25 years in amplification.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
I have heard a few things about Jubs. People that get good tones out of them get GREAT tones out of them, but they supposedly respond differently from many Marshalls and can be difficult to get a good tone out of that doesn't sound thin/flat. I would imagine that people bought them up hoping to sound like Joe Bonamassa or Slash and were disappointed when they didn't have that sound. Both of those guys use a host of other gear to get the sounds that they are famous for.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
No ploy... The silver tolex covering for 1987 is 100% consonant with Marshall's 25 years in amplification.

I know that, duh. I was referring to the fact that it is not also offered in standard black tolex, which would match other Marshall cabs.

mulletmule

Reaction score
None used in my area. I love mine :D. I'm hoping to see a used 2551AV cab!!! If not I'll be another $1200 in the hole because this may be the best sounding head I've ever owned. And loud!!!! It's weird because up to 12:00 it's not about 1:00-2:00 it unbelievable. And it sounds better the louder it gets. Yet it sounds awesome at bedroom level.

Anyone sees a used cab let me know!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
None here in LA either... I doubt that there is an invasion, as the OP suggests...

Here, in LA, the used instruments section is so busy, that by the time you browse through the 1st page & hit the 2md page, the 2nd page is mostly 1st page stuff bumped, so, it's easier to do a search, like "Marshall" & the results will be like many other areas' full instruments, but just Marshall...

Anyway, the only thing that comes up under Jubilee, is an old 1987 version, owned by the guitarist of Survivor...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/5334207009.html

If there was a big dump on the 2nd hand market, you could bet that LA & NY would be full of them, but, as I see in this thread, none in LA, none in NY...

:shrug:

softmc

Reaction score
As a original Jubilee owner I also predicted this would be the case as these amps are not for everyone , they are great bedroom amps but take them to a band situation and they respond very differently a dark sounding amp, they can struggle to cut through in the mix especially in a 2 guitar band , I love mine with single coils but amps too dark with humbuckers ,also speaker choice is important. theres one for sale locally for £700 as new guy bought it then realised his JVM is his sound , for me I will stick with my 2553 , for telecaster /strat and my jcm800 2205 for lespauls

mulletmule

Reaction score
None here in LA either... I doubt that there is an invasion, as the OP suggests...

Here, in LA, the used instruments section is so busy, that by the time you browse through the 1st page & hit the 2md page, the 2nd page is mostly 1st page stuff bumped, so, it's easier to do a search, like "Marshall" & the results will be like many other areas' full instruments, but just Marshall...

Anyway, the only thing that comes up under Jubilee, is an old 1987 version, owned by the guitarist of Survivor...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/5334207009.html

If there was a big dump on the 2nd hand market, you could bet that LA & NY would be full of them, but, as I see in this thread, none in LA, none in NY...

:shrug:

Fully agreed.there are a handful on eBay but that is expected. So many people buy an amp and have no clue how to dial it in. They turn every knob to 10and it doesn't sound good so they dump it. My guess is that's what most of those are. Others it may genuinely not be for them. Checked again and none within 200 miles of me.

dreyn77

Reaction score
yeah sure the sales of 1980's porsche's have kinda dropped too.
but who cares when you're driving the 2015 porsche 911. ;)

they made limited edition race cars back then in 1980's.
they make a new one, well, so what!

that old porsche race model still has a value. and the nobody can take away the fact it was made back then.

you can buy 1 edition, you can buy every edition. there's no limits to this stuff.

it's a shame lamboguini has made a new model too.

lets say they made an amp which had a new name and sold it out there and people heard it and said, "HEY this thing sounds like a jubilee amp. what are they trying to do? I hate it! etc... blah blah."

you'd think they were trying to do something behind your back.

their image may have been worse at this point if they did things another way.

personally once I've learned about the products I've bought, I can't sell them as rubbish. I actually want to keep them and get the latest product as well.

BUT the way business is run, it's actually a strange method and it's become a real pain in the bum for all sides of the business thing.

Marshall can't just sell to the small individual, they must sell in big batches to big spenders and as a result you'll see sometimes, a bunch of the amps sitting for sale and they can't sell in that location.

it doesn't say anything about anything.

the way selling happens, means that these things don't fall into the hands of the needy. so once again it SEEMS like there's a problem but the problem is, business is LAZY.

marshall shakes down a few bunch of regular buyers. those buyers shakedown a lot of people but even then those people aren't MOST people.
marshall gets the quick BIG BUCKS, the shops try and grap the smaller quantities of dollars but endup chucking stuff out the door in 5 years time.

these people can't be bothered puting in effort to get an amp into peoples hands and homes.

a bit of gossip happens to great a rapid buying spree sometimes.

we've all seen it happen.

don't forget you're in the strange phase of falling in love and out of love for an object you're spending lots of time with. that's unnatural too.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Fully agreed.there are a handful on eBay but that is expected. So many people buy an amp and have no clue how to dial it in. They turn every knob to 10and it doesn't sound good so they dump it. My guess is that's what most of those are. Others it may genuinely not be for them. Checked again and none within 200 miles of me.

I really like the sound of the amp in the youtube video GC posted. It's not exactly what I would like, but it is close...it is very unique sounding...

Have you tried simply boosting the front with and without the clip using a CLEAN boost?

I would really have to hear it live in a band situation...and see if it has the cut like a proper Marshall should...

plexilespaul

Reaction score
I really like the sound of the amp in the youtube video GC posted. It's not exactly what I would like, but it is close...it is very unique sounding...

Have you tried simply boosting the front with and without the clip using a CLEAN boost?

I would really have to hear it live in a band situation...and see if it has the cut like a proper Marshall should...
you'll like it as it does plexi tones all the way up to jcm 800 and more with a unique touch of it's own. try one.

Human Steve

Reaction score
Like I said, the used ones I'm seeing are selling quickly. And I'm not just looking on Craigslist and Ebay. But I suppose that's a good thing that they aren't sticking around. Could be small shops posting new ones for cheap too. Just been seeing quite a lot of the reissues 2nd hand for being a new amp is all. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "invasion" soooorry. For a while there I was seeing a ton. I figured they'd be pretty scarce and the price would stay at $1800 for a lot longer. Shouldn't be hard to get one for $1300 or even $1200 right now. 2015 ain't even over yet, so I'll bet these will get much more affordable, and that's great.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I remember someone here saying they'd be a flop … who was that again? :hmm:

Oh yeah, it was me :wave:

Bad idea from the start and should have left well enough alone.

Oh well, I suppose there's still plenty of time for them to rebound and for me to look foolish.

There was a 2 month backlog when they first came out earlier this year and they were the #1 selling Marshall on MF for several months. Counting amps for sale on ebay or craigslist does not verify if its a flop. They are great sounding amps and are hardly a flop.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
There was a 2 month backlog when they first came out earlier this year and they were the #1 selling Marshall on MF for several months. Counting amps for sale on ebay or craigslist does not verify if its a flop. They are great sounding amps and are hardly a flop.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEnWoOsq9tY[/ame]

thegaindeli

Reaction score
I know that, duh. I was referring to the fact that it is not also offered in standard black tolex, which would match other Marshall cabs.
If you're referring specifically to the 2555X, I agree! The ONLY Marshall that should be fitted with silver tolex and chrome faceplates, is 1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee. The 2555X is that "ploy" you spoke of earlier... Regardless, they are great sounding amplifiers. I'm curious as to whether or not they're going to release a 25/50 watt? After all, the Silver Jubilee slogan was: "25 years In Amplification - 50 Years In Music".

Someone said that the SJ is too "dark" for gigging? I'm going to have to disagree. I've gigged my 2550 several times, and it cuts-through beautifully! The 2555X may not, I don't know?

To be fair, I've never gigged my 1960 Vintage 4x12 cab with Marshall "Vintage" drivers; which what the 1987 AV/BV cabs came loaded with. The original G12T-75's can be a bit shrill at low volume, but kick major butt when cranked! IMO, the ideal SJ rig: 2 x 4x12's side-by-side. One loaded with Marshall "Vintage" drivers, the other loaded with early G12T-75's... Mic and mix! :slash:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
If you're referring specifically to the 2555X, I agree! The ONLY Marshall that should be fitted with silver tolex and chrome faceplates, is 1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee. The 2555X is that "ploy" you spoke of earlier...

:yesway:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
If you're referring specifically to the 2555X, I agree! The ONLY Marshall that should be fitted with silver tolex and chrome faceplates, is 1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee. The 2555X is that "ploy" you spoke of earlier...

Yes, the OP's post is in regards to the 2555x :)

Adrian R

Reaction score
you'll like it as it does plexi tones all the way up to jcm 800 and more with a unique touch of it's own. try one.

There is a guy right now who would sell me one basically new...totally mint, documentation...the whole deal for like $1500.00, I have the money and could get it if I want..

BUT..(aside from my old lady ****ting a brick..:lol:..never stopped me before) I think I will got to GC and try one out first...

I've got my DSLs sounding totally kick ass now...but this Jube sounds different...unique... I'd have to part with one of my DSLs to get it...

mulletmule

Reaction score

I haven't simply because it sounds so damn good as is there is no need. I always use just amp distortion anyway. Though I wanted to try that on my JCM 2000 on the rhythm channel.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Going to be trying out a 2555x myself over the next several weeks, just want to see what the fuss is about and how it compares to my other amps. I don't plan on keeping it, but I have to satisfy my curiosity.