Iridium Amp1, is it equivalent to a Marshall 8080 valve stat?

• Thread starter GabrielRaphael
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Sure, it sounds great, but for comparison's sake, I'd keep it simpler.
I think it sounds great and sounds great in the mix! Simple? How much simpler can it get? I'd understand your point if he was flooding it with effects but at 3:30 he explains how he recorded which was pretty much straight in plug and play.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I think it sounds great and sounds great in the mix! Simple? How much simpler can it get? I'd understand your point if he was flooding it with effects but at 3:30 he explains how he recorded which was pretty much straight in plug and play.

Perhaps you're talking my comment a little too seriously; I happen to have that amp the stereo separation was quite pronounced in the video. :D

I have to hook up a second amp or doubletrack to get stereo (I do have stereo feeds from my rack FX units, and I do do the 'second amp' thing a fair bit).

GabrielRaphael

Reaction score
You don’t have to spend 2K to get “a decent Marshall tone”, it’s already in the iridium and Mercury. If you consider Euge’s “Bad Boy” amp to be the example of “decent Marshall sound”, well I dunno what to tell you. I’m pretty sure that if you’re over there, you can likely get one of those Swedish models for around that same cost.

He’s got 2 of them but only uses the one. This tells me that there are production or accidental after construction factors that make this one amp special.

Anyhow I’m not trying to be all fanboy, I just know what works for me. For “real” amps, I’m fine with the iridium, the SC20H (with the legendary tones hot mod 2 or Lynch mod) or Peavey VTM60, all with 4x12 cabs, and at full band volume. Loud, 2 guitar and banging drummer volume.
John Sykes had the real "BAD BOY" , Kieth Olsen used it on material for two records before adding Zak Wylde in the mix and giving him the amp or tone...

I already have a stock JCM800 2203, a Vox VC30, Rectifier, Peavy and Fender set up., I was saying that Thomas is asking for 2k for the next generation amp1/ Iridium...I may be wrong but it sounds very close to the plug in called Spark by MERCURIALL, have you compared?

BTW t love your gear and taste so I appreciate your input, much respect bro

yafal

Reaction score
I honestly never really noticed much of the output stage of my Valvestate. If I wouldn't know better, I'd have assumed it was pretty much any old run-of-the-mill transistor output stage, very linear, no surprises. I'd also be inclined to say my DSL is pretty much the same - wherever you put the volume, it's about the same - if you take the Presence and Resonance controls out of the equation, that is.
Well, in a combo or head you can't, but in the valvestate 8008 rack unit, you can set it to "valvestate" or "linear", using a back plate switch. Totally different sound and feel ! "Linear" sucks big time, dull and reacts very stiff, because it acts as a standard transistor power amp, (using voltage feedback); when in "valvestate" mode, it shines, get harmoinics and really reacts like a valve power stage. The "negative current feedback" does the magic !

PelliX

Reaction score
Well, in a combo or head you can't, but in the valvestate 8008 rack unit, you can set it to "valvestate" or "linear", using a back plate switch. Totally different sound and feel ! "Linear" sucks big time, dull and reacts very stiff, because it acts as a standard transistor power amp, (using voltage feedback); when in "valvestate" mode, it shines, get harmoinics and really reacts like a valve power stage. The "negative current feedback" does the magic !

If you say so, sure :) Never used any of the rack units, though if I saw one cheap I might snag it.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
John Sykes had the real "BAD BOY" , Kieth Olsen used it on material for two records before adding Zak Wylde in the mix and giving him the amp or tone...

I already have a stock JCM800 2203, a Vox VC30, Rectifier, Peavy and Fender set up., I was saying that Thomas is asking for 2k for the next generation amp1/ Iridium...I may be wrong but it sounds very close to the plug in called Spark by MERCURIALL, have you compared?

BTW t love your gear and taste so I appreciate your input, much respect bro
I wouldn’t pay 2K for the next gen, personally.

The iridium is close enough for me.

I’ve not really played with plugins either, the modelers work as interface also, you can track your preset and also clean to re-amp if wanted. I’ve honestly not spent any “real” time recording, I’m a cover band guy.

I’m pretty sure at this point, live, I’ll use the SC20H and the 4 or 2x12, with iridium as backup.

Some part of me still wants to try a SLO30 tube amp…….

GabrielRaphael

Reaction score
I wouldn’t pay 2K for the next gen, personally.

The iridium is close enough for me.

I’ve not really played with plugins either, the modelers work as interface also, you can track your preset and also clean to re-amp if wanted. I’ve honestly not spent any “real” time recording, I’m a cover band guy.

I’m pretty sure at this point, live, I’ll use the SC20H and the 4 or 2x12, with iridium as backup.

Some part of me still wants to try a SLO30 tube amp…….
totally with you man on the gear and infact what your using, you rock!

donnyrocker

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaand today, 45 mins into rehearsal, the Bluguitar Iridium shuts down with a horrible cooked smell.

Won’t turn back on, speaker cabinet is still fine, used it with the SC20H for the rest of our jam time.

Was running it into my 1960A, 16 ohm cab, using the 16 ohm Jack on the iridium.

To be fair, it was a “demo” unit from Sweetwater. I guess now we find out how well the replacement / warranty program works.

I got mine from the retail store at Sweetwater.

Meanwhile, the warranty coverage is super (I've had to replace a couple of items over the years)

GabrielRaphael

Reaction score
Well technology is advancing like crazy, Marshall just release a 2203X, Euge Valovirta shows it off HERE in this link

I actually managed to Match the Bad Boy tone which actually makes other amps sub harmonics shine.
For example
1 The Kuassa Caliburn with Euge Valovirta IRs sounds even better then his Bad Boy 1980s Scandinavian Marshall 2203!

2 The Kuassa Caliburn with Howard Benson and Mike Plotnikoff's IRs sound more less like the 2203X

3 The Mercuriall Spark sounds like the Marshall JCM800 2203 Stock.

4 The Howard Benson Tonality plug in with Match EQ using Euge Valovirta IRs is very close as well, has nice open sub harmonic tones, maybe more like the 6550s in the Zakk wild head.

I played along with Euge during the videos, tuned down and all with DynaAudio BM6a monitors, unless I lost my hearing I cant honestly tell the difference but that all the amps and my sim set ups sounds great... it feels great too like as if I am using a Marshall while in the booth., I did have to use Logic's latency button with the Mercuriall Spark plugin, which forces me to turn up the gain.

Alll you guys have to do is download the audio of Euge Valovirta playing, use it as a reference file in Fabfilter PQ3 or Logic's match EQ, then bam...it sounds like this, I did nothing else.

You tell me what you think lol
Soon, ill make videos and even TONEX files for anyone into that

Last edited:

saxon68

Reaction score
I got mine from the retail store at Sweetwater.

Meanwhile, the warranty coverage is super (I've had to replace a couple of items over the years)
Yeah Sweetwater sent me a refund. They don’t do repairs, the BluGuitar factory doesn’t do repairs either, and aren’t expecting a batch of new ones till late March.

saxon68

Reaction score
I thought these units outlasted tube amps is why I think its sux., im glad it worked out for you though
Again, it was a demo/used so who knows what abuse it went through before coming to me. The nanotube is supposed to outlast, but if the power dies it’s useless :)