• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

IS a 50 wat jcm powerful enough

• Thread starter Battle of trenton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
50 watts into a 4x12 should give you 110 decibels, give or take, at 10 feet. A lot depends on speaker sensitivity.

I have an LCD dB meter like the one you see on Andertons and That Pedal Show YouTube videos.

My Mojotone JTM45 50 watt will hit 110 dB, on a good day with a loud humbucker guitar. My Mojotone DR103 kit will maybe hit 114 dB. So twice the power, but only a 3 or 4 dB increase.

The decibel scale is logarithmic and a 10 decibel (or one whole bel) increase is twice as loud each time. 100 dB is twice as loud as 90 dB, which is twice as loud as 80 dB, and so on.  But to get a 10 dB increase you need 10 times the power, not two times. So if a 5 watt amp will hit 100 dB, you need 5 x 10 = 50 watts to hit 110 dB, and 5 x 10 x 10 = 500 watts to hit 120 dB. At which point your 4x12 will blow your windows out :D

Latest posts