Is Anyone Here A One-guitar Person?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Seems like there's two kinds of players: ones who stick to one guitar usually for their "signature sound" and familiar feel, and those who own a bunch of guitars and try to play them all.

In my case, I own four Les Pauls and they all sound & feel different, so I prefer to stick to one for a given project. Right now I've got an R8, R9, 2010 Traditional which I absolutely love because it's just a perfect Les Paul, and then there's the guitar I'm using for my current band: a 50's Tribute LP Gold top. I like to rotate my guitars to keep fret wear to a minimum and prevent boredom, but I'll only do it for long periods of time because I'm always working on the tone of one guitar (and usually one amp too). You'd probably assume my favorite would be the "prized" R9, but that guitar has its own vibe, one that's most suitable for really dynamic playing. In my current classic rock band I just need a cheap beater, and the 50's Tribute is perfect for that - light for long gigs, excellent LP tone, super high frets (I wear them out fast when I gig) and it's cheap so I don't have to worry about it getting hit with beer bottles and truck bumpers or getting stolen.

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone here sticks to only one guitar as kind of like a 'best friend' thing - like one guitar that you bond with that's like no other. Post some pics and stories if you have 'em. I'm interested to know what you guys prefer.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
My brother is a fairly accomplished guitarist and been playing all his life, he plays one acoustic only, that's all he owns or needs or desires. Its about the music for him not the gear. He's always played some mediocre acoustics usually hand me downs from people, I actually bought him a low end Martin for his 50th birthday a few years ago and thats what he plays now, probably threw the last guitar he had out. Me I like variety, I've got 6 electrics I cycle through for variety sake, I enjoy the whole gear thing.

Last edited:

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Not me. I like variety. I also like to have a couple of options, say if I want something to just "grab and go" or if I want something "nice" Like recently, I have the LPC and it was my main one. I have a few cheap guitars and I mean really cheap ones. I wanted something that was "in the middle" like your 50's. A good guitar, plays well, sounds good but isn't high dollar and is good to grab and play without having to worry too much about it. That's where my strat came in. In addition it gives me variety and a great contrast to the LP.

So, in essence. NO I am not a 1 guitar guy.

Coronado

Reaction score
I lke a lot of different types of music, and each time I pickup the guitar, it could be anything from classic rock to some heavy chugga chugga stuff... :eddie: Unless I'm recording and need to come back to the same exact sound, I would say I rarely pick up the same guitar two times in a row. 4 LPs that I somewhat rotate (play the LP Trad the most I would say). SG and Explorer get quite a bit of play. Schecter C1, Fender Strat, and Charvelle probably not as much as the others.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I've had my SG for almost 30 years, but I mainly pick up my Classic Series Strat which I've had for 6 years.
It is more versatile with a Lil 59er in the bridge slot and still has that SC/Fender sound.

I have been thinking about putting a HB sized P90 in my neck PUP, so maybe I'll play her more.

mirrorman

Reaction score
Nope.
I like to have guitars pre-tuned to where I need them.
I hate having to retune a guitar from standard to Drop D in the middle of a gig (or rehearsal for that matter).

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope.
I like to have guitars pre-tuned to where I need them.
I hate having to retune a guitar from standard to Drop D in the middle of a gig (or rehearsal for that matter).
oh,well in that case.. LP,HSS Strat,50'S P-90 LP,Slide,Standard Strat,and 3 tunings for each I'm still a 5 minimum short.. no to mention a backup for each.........that's 20 for a bar gig......lol