Is it just me? DSL40C vs DSL40CR

• Thread starter tmingle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tmingle

Reaction score
I even added a bright cap to the CR (470pf/off/100pf). I had this thing on the scope under load for a couple hours to make sure it was functionally OK. I may try to roll some preamp tubes to make sure they aren't the problem. Then it shall be gone.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I even added a bright cap to the CR (470pf/off/100pf). I had this thing on the scope under load for a couple hours to make sure it was functionally OK. I may try to roll some preamp tubes to make sure they aren't the problem. Then it shall be gone.

Well good luck, but I think it's just the nature of the beast...more modern voice compared to the not as modern voice of the C/H.

Let us know how it works out please.

Joeleoj

Reaction score
I thought my 40cr was just really ok for years. Got a shocked hair one day, chopped it into a head and put it on top of a 1922 and fell in love with it! Sold it to a buddy who needed a small touring rig three years ago he still uses it

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
I have 3 Marshall DSL40CR 1X12 combos. I love mine.
One for rehearsal on top of a Marshall 1966A. Everything is Stock speakers.
It sounds incredible, but it's VERY loud, because that how I want it.
Our rehearsal aren't for the "lighthearted." Not at all. I can't wait until the next rehearsal.
https://www.marshallforum.com/attac...and-marshall-1966a-2x12-slant-cab-jpg.131582/
I'm actually thinking about loading a 2X12 or 4X12 with the V-Type speakers, we like them a lot.
I actually love my Marshall Dsl40CR 1X12 combos.
I have a Marshall DSL100H and a Marshall DSL100HR.
Both 100w heads sound good to me. I had the C19 toggle switch put on the 100H and I don't care about it.
I like the original sound of the 100H, but don't play it much anymore.
We take the 2 DSL40CR 1X12 combos to venues that complain about volume.
It doesn't help because we're a very loud band and the 40's are cranked louder than 100w heads and 4X12 cabs.
Plenty of amps don't sound great unless they're too loud, and I'm OK with that.

Last edited:

Karl Brake

Reaction score
I'm going to do some downsizing & comparing the 40C to the 40CR, the 40C is a clear winner here. The 40CR sounds really grainy to my ears.
I bought the CR with some bonus points that I needed to use before I retired last summer & never really compared them.
The four voicings of the CR are nice, and I found that the bass response was much better with the R. I've just had the dsl and dslhr 100, but the tone is the same as the combo. I found the newer R version superior, especially with a band. And it has external biasing.

EL34Norge

Reaction score
It's not just you. I've had both and currently have 2 40C's. The 40CR is a great amp. The 40C has a bit more magic going on. I did the C19 clip mod and the 40C's EQ is in line with both channels.
I have a DSL100H for large venue's.
The 40C and 100H are well balance amps and still have an open/raw sound to them..
And very Marshall sounding with the midrange cranked..

atstrother

Reaction score
I agree. For my tastes DSL40C > DSL40CR. I often find that less complicated circuits sound best, in amps and pedals. To be fair I like
a little hair on my cleanish tones, so I don't miss the 4 switchable modes. I mostly play 70's rock and just found the DSL40 with pedals to sound more classic and punchy. I like the vtype speakers as well and find they work well with my JCM2000 dsl50. Run a Creamback65 with my dsl40c. All good.

Dozer

Reaction score
I'm going to do some downsizing & comparing the 40C to the 40CR, the 40C is a clear winner here. The 40CR sounds really grainy to my ears.
I bought the CR with some bonus points that I needed to use before I retired last summer & never really compared them.

This was my experience also when I tried a CR after owning a C for a long time. Now that I am using the 100w HR into a 4x12 of G12T-75's though, it's not the case. I definitely like the HR compared to the H I used to have. Don't get me wrong I still think the H is a fantastic amp but my experience with the HR is much better for whatever reason.

thesunship

Reaction score
This is interesting because the 40c amps are around 350-400 used locally. I notice the prices on reverb bottomed at about 300 a few months ago.

Just needs a new Johan Segeborn video and they'll go back to 700 used 😊

taylodl

Reaction score
Based off the YouTube videos I've watched, people, including people who I think should know better, have no clue how to dial-in the DSL40CR. I think it's a shame too because it's the most versatile amp I've ever used and I've been playing for nearly 50 years!

Roach

Reaction score
I have a dsl-401 Made in England, an find this useful in case I want a back up, I love the 401, and hope I can keep it. I need a light for the switches so I can remember to turn it off correctly. Already addressed the BR problem. Thanks for the info.

Whizzercone

Reaction score
I had a DSL40C. I think the previous owner had put a creamback in it. It was pretty good, but sold it and went with a ToneX/Magnum 44. More options and actually small enough I can take all that and my JVM with me without spraining a testicle.

Sully6790

Reaction score

It's not just you. I've had both and currently have 2 40C's. The 40CR is a great amp. The 40C has a bit more magic going on. I did the C19 clip mod and the 40C's EQ is in line with both channels.
I have a DSL100H for large venue's.
The 40C and 100H are well balance amps and still have an open/raw sound to them..
And very Marshall sounding with the midrange cranked..
I’m wanting to do c19 mod but worried I’ll be missing the high end when it’s cranked and compressed. You find it sounds as good with the gain high?