Is it me or two amps sound weird ?

• Thread starter Kelia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Mitchell !..........how did you do six amp without having a JD-7 ?
It’s really easy, in this clip I used my Vox Tone Lab to feed both Dsl40c’s, one Dsl40c feeds one of the 3210’s FX send to instrument in on the mosfet, the other Dsl40c feeds one of the Origin’s FX send instrument in, the Origin’s FX send back to the second Origin, then it’s FX send into the instrument in on the second mosfet.
The mosfet’s are on the clean channel, and no boost engaged on the Origin’s, the Dsl40c’s are on the green clean channel with volumes at 2-3 Origin’s volumes are 3, the 3210’s volumes are 2, and 8 MG cabs, this is all done at a stereo volume (a little louder than TV volume)
Thanks for listening.
Cheers

Kelia

Reaction score
It’s really easy, in this clip I used my Vox Tone Lab to feed both Dsl40c’s, one Dsl40c feeds one of the 3210’s FX send to instrument in on the mosfet, the other Dsl40c feeds one of the Origin’s FX send instrument in, the Origin’s FX send back to the second Origin, then it’s FX send into the instrument in on the second mosfet.
The mosfet’s are on the clean channel, and no boost engaged on the Origin’s, the Dsl40c’s are on the green clean channel with volumes at 2-3 Origin’s volumes are 3, the 3210’s volumes are 2, and 8 MG cabs, this is all done at a stereo volume (a little louder than TV volume)
Thanks for listening.
Cheers
Seems really easy !!..........thanks Mitchell, I'll chew on the idea !

4Uj1UkJ.gif

neikeel

Reaction score
The Radials are pretty good? I have a couple of Lehles (ABY and ABY + tuner) both have ground lift and one has midi switching (if you want) they also have trim pots to equalise or vary levels too.

Kelia

Reaction score
The Radials are pretty good? I have a couple of Lehles (ABY and ABY + tuner) both have ground lift and one has midi switching (if you want) they also have trim pots to equalise or vary levels too.
Great !

timmfun

Reaction score
Every time a signal passes thru a capacitor, it inverts phase.
Every time a signal passes thru an amplification stage in a tube, it inverts phase.
Not true. Caps do not *invert* phase (invert means flip 180 degrees) but they can *shift* phase by between 0 and 90 degrees.

For tube stages, they only invert if output is taken from the plate. Cathode followers do not flip phase. I know you said "amplification stages" which implies plates and not cathodes, as cathode followers have gain slightly less than unity, so no they do not amplify, but just wanted to make that clear to those that didnt catch that distinction when counting tube stages.

Overall

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes, there is a phase shift whenever a signal passes through a reactance. Capacitor or inductor.

You are also correct regarding cathode followers which typically have a gain of 0.9.

But in any amplification stage, the polarity flips at each stage.

El Gringo

Reaction score
@SmokeyDopey gave some good information above.

But in simpler term and more to the point of your question, the phase that matters is at the output.
Two amplifiers of the same model will output the same phase. Different models are apt to output varying phase. Simply, too much out of phase either disturbs or even cancels output frequencies.
This was my understanding from reading up on this .

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the science of this, interesting read. I used to try to get two working together with aby pedal type thing and always had issues. I now use the method of using both output on my Boss DD20 delay pedal, each to a separate amp. By going from the two outputs of this pedal I have never had any humming/grounding or phase issues that are noticeable, and I've ran a lot of different old/new amps in this setup. Is there something different about using two outputs on a delay pedal like this that solves some of the inherent issues? Probably not, but it seems like it helps to me.

What?

Reaction score
Yea, you have to get the cabs aligned right for small phase differences, and you might need a device (or reverse wired speaker cable) for flipping phase of one of the amps or cabs (either will work) for big phase differences. You could get things set up using a tone generator or a looper pedal playing the lowest guitar note, listening for the alignment point at which the most bass is produced. The same signal into two outputs which are fully out of phase will have the most low frequency cancellation, since one copy of the signal is on a peak while the other one is on a trough. If you are hearing 'weirdness' due to a phase issue, you are most likely hearing a big phase difference, enough to cause a perceivable delay, something like a static flanger.

But since you will likely be moving around when playing, there will always be some amount of phase difference, depending on where you are standing in relation to the two cabs.

And on this topic, I swear that I hear some small phase difference in some of SRV's live recordings.

Last edited:

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Yes, the stereo pedal trick usually works, I used to use my Boss Chorus CE-? Recently I got a cheap Fender ABY box that works great but I do have to use a ground lift on one of the amps to eliminate hum. I also use a strip outlet for both amps. I can run my Fender clones mixed with Marshalls without issues that way.

Listogast

Reaction score
Typically if you want to run two amps, you want them set up differently. One amp controls the high end while another controls the low end, or one amp is set clean and one amp is set slightly broken up. I feel like running them with similar settings would kind of be a mess with conflicting tones.

Kelia

Reaction score
Saw this video the other day , Bob Gjika is really against ABY Gizmo's ,
interesting , start listening at 5.40 min-sec .

Crikey

Reaction score
I don’t have a radial switcher, but I did try running 2 amps with a ABY box , and got hum and other noises I didn’t like, but with my MXR10 band eq, no problem whatsoever, same thing with the Vox tone lab, and I am always running 2 amps in dual mono fashion, plus a third amp by using the FX send to instrument in.
No problems .
Cheers Mitch
Nice!!! Now thats a wall of sound