Is The Boost Pedal Screwing With My Sound?

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Well guys,

came home yesterday after rehearsal and I again only brought my SD-1 with me. Set the DSL to Red Lead 2 mode with the gain at around 4 and that was more than enough to fit in the mix well for rhythm work. Kicked the boost pedal on only for Solos. Worked like a charm!

I might actually ditch the SD-1 for rhythm stuff, stick my MXR 10 band in the loop to fine tune the amps frequencies and leave the booster for solo duties only. Happy days :D

matttornado

Reaction score
After hearing a recording of my playing with that plexi clone I realized how fucking sloppy I was. So it made me focus harder on my playing. Also since it felt so clean, I would end up playing harder and harder to get the most grind out of the amp. I then put a higher gauge string set on the guitar which gave me a little more output, helping to get even a bit more grind out of the amp.

Yes Plexi style amps are very unforgiving and are not for everyone. I struggled too when I first started using one. I went from a JCM 800 to a 1959 Superlead (metal panel). When I play live, I often have friends come up and play a tune so I can grab a beer or whatever & often they struggle because they're use to more gain. Either that, or they ask, "where's your clean channel"! LOL :p:rolleyes:

Last edited:

matttornado

Reaction score
I tried the TC Electronic Spark boost pedals, mini and regular sized one in the loop of my DSL and they sounded weird to me. They both changed the tone in weird way, even the larger unit with the EQ. I use a Boss GE-7 now & love it.

matttornado

Reaction score
Can a BOSS SD-1 be used in a loop for a boost? I haven't tried that yet.

matttornado

Reaction score
I tried the boss SD-1 in my DSL 40CR's loop and it sounded awful! It sounded muffled, dull, weak, even with the volume full up, it was way below unity gain and ha practically no overdrive. My other boss pedals are like that too in the loop, especially my DD-3. the effect hardy is noticeable.

Do I have a faulty loop?

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I tried the boss SD-1 in my DSL 40CR's loop and it sounded awful! It sounded muffled, dull, weak, even with the volume full up, it was way below unity gain and ha practically no overdrive. My other boss pedals are like that too in the loop, especially my DD-3. the effect hardy is noticeable.

Do I have a faulty loop?
I would not buy an item if the manufacturer does not provide I/O specifications.

Do not blame the pedals, blame the Marshall loop.
Schematics would be needed to see what is going on with that effects loop.

zachman

Reaction score

Do I have a faulty loop?

No, the impedance of most pedals are designed to handle an instrument level input of about a -30dB, while your loop is putting out a Line level signal to drive something with more like -10dB/+4dB input capability. Plus the eq filter on that pedal is designed to be used in conjunction with, but before the preamp section of your amp, and when you put it in the loop you're placing it after the amp's preamp section. I only said that you could do it, not that it would sound fantastic. That being said, I am not sure about the loop in your amp, but if it's a tube loop, you may have a crappy 12AX7 in there and changing that out can have a MAJOR impact on clearing up muffled tones when in use.

RobV

Reaction score
Why yes. Why not?

As long as you adhere to proper effects chain order anything can be placed in the effects loop.

The front end of an amplifier is the preamplifier some with higher gain distortion circuits. A "gain" pedal is no different. All that is being done is cascading of various gain stage circuits before other stuff especially time based effects.

Here is a thought for those who do not realize I guess. The effects loop provides a means for extension of capabilities/stages to your musical amplifier whereas you can add as much as wanted.
I haven't tried it with my Marshalls but what got me thinking that way is when I got my Ibanez TSA amps. Basically the loop moves the built in Tube Screamer where ever you want it in the chain.

RobV

Reaction score
I have the TSA15H & TSA30H & exactly, input goes to a built in Tube Screamer so if I want the TS after my Fuzz but before my RAT I place the RAT in the loop and I can stack the TS into the RAT.

El Gringo

Reaction score
screw with your boost pedal just to get even. :p
Yeah take it out back to the shed and let it know whose in charge , just like I will do with one of my Les Paul's that has been a total disaster since I purchased "it" in April 2018 . Right now it is with my tech who is putting on a new nylon 6/6 nut and a new ABR-1 bridge as this thing would not stay in tune for nothing and I trashed the nut and the ABR-1 bridge as it kept going out of tune and even if I looked at it , it would go out of tune . So I would walk past the guitars on there stands and when I got to this one I would curse her out mightily and threaten her with the wood chipper after I strip her of her parts and hardware if my tech can't fix her

Hannahhh

Reaction score
I heard that Morley Volume Plus is a good looper pedal. The minimum (pedal all the way back) setting is adjustable so that minimum is off or minimum is almost as loud as all the way forward.
It has a bypass button which allows the pedal to mute with the pedal all the way back and bypass engaged. Useful for setting the guitar on stands in between sets.

Last edited:

chromeboy

Reaction score
Everyone is different and playing alone and in a band is very different. I use jet city amps and cabs a 50h and 100hdm heads and two 2x12 cabs . At home and at low volume the preamp on the overdrive channel is about at 5 which is good for very low volume but at gigs it's only at around 2 or 3 at best. I have pedals for more saturation if I want it but I tend not to do that so my solos cut through the mix.

ssolo8

Reaction score
...gain pedal in the effects loop? :spock:
Most definitely! If you try a boost in the front of the amp you don't so much get volume boost as a boost in saturation. If you stick an EQ, or even a gain pedal and the loop, viola! you can jack that thing up 20 DB's!!

ssolo8

Reaction score
If you need a boost after the preamp, something ain't right. I suppose, as long as you place the boost before the effects, it's doable. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. Just for the sake of good form, the effects loop is for, well, effects. I've played rack compressors in the loop, but I didn't care for it.
Actually I like the volume boost after the effects. I don't need more dirt pushing into my echo, I need my entire chain louder. In the loop is the only way to pull the volume up without pushing more crap into the front end.

Latest posts