Is The Gibson ES 335 The Most Versatile Guitar Ever Made?

• Thread starter axe4me
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GregM

Reaction score
I stepped in sh$t when I bought that Epi.

My wife & I were RV'ing in south Jersey and when I do we always visit the Mays Landing GC.

It was totally unplanned but I bought that Epi 355 for $349.00 from GC.:fever:

I went there to check out a Grestch but the Epi was the one.

If you ever find a Pelham Blue Epi 355 for under $600.00, buy it.............you'll thank me later.
Lol if I ever find any 355 I can buy, you better believe I will be on it, it isn't going to happen though.
Grats on ur awesome purchase thou
The main reason I want a 355/335 clone is the shape. I'm 6"5 and since I got my Gretsch double jet everything else juse feels wrong, like my my wrist is resting on the guitar instead of the lower forearm.
It's a sound thing ( I would be surprised if I bought another solid body) but it's more a feel thing. Imfanging for a bigger guitar.

Last edited:

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
The star of the TV Pelham Blue Collection might be the Ltd. Ed. ES-355, which many collectors consider one of the finest vintage models ever made. First introduced in 1958, the TV Pelham Blue ES-355 includes all the great features found in the original including a laminated maple body cut to the historic specs, a mahogany 1960s SlimTaper neck, pearloid block inlays, Grover 18:1 ratio machine heads, and Alnico Classic PRO humbuckers along with a Bigsby vibrato and a LockTone bridge.

epiphone es 355.jpg
epiphone 355 body front.jpg
epiphone es355 body back.jpg
epiphone es 335 headstock.jpg

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Parker Flys get my vote, and they were even baked in pizza ovens.

Wezie Guitar lover

Reaction score

Lo-Tek

Reaction score

...In my subjective opinion, I always come back to a 335 with a smile.

See, you're looking at it subjectively. Objectively the most versatile guitar would be one that can cover the most diverse range of techniques and styles- so probably something like a Parker or PRS.
Subjectively I would probably go with the Tele

wmachine

Reaction score
I'll agree with anything @axe4me says! Good to see you still instigating here. Hope you're doing okay and Happy New Year to you!

GarethWP

Reaction score
Hello and I know that I don't contribute much..... well I had a fair shout on the Origin thread. But for what it's worth here's my thoughts on the most versatile guitar.......it's not one but 2 and could be 3(if you add a P90 loaded LP)but it's any Les Paul with 2 Humbuckers and a Stratocaster with 3 single coils.
See you can split Humbuckers but they are never going to do that strat thing and you can put a Humbucker in the bridge of a Strat but it's never going to do the LP thing. And besides what's a Strat without its bridge single coil. I have an Epiphone dot which I love but it doesn't do what the Strat and the LP does.
So when I look at my guitars and think what do I want to play now??? It could be either the LP or the Strat. It's like having 2 gorgeous ladies on the go. Both do something special but very very differently.
Happy New year everyone. And happy playing with whatever gets you rocking

Brewski

Reaction score
no - unless its coil tapped and has a floyd otherwise not that versatile.

with that said - define versatile - songs, sounds, styles, and even with the list i dont see it and i have one with coil taps

TWANG

Reaction score
I like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 5

TWANG

Reaction score
I like this one.
The star of the TV Pelham Blue Collection might be the Ltd. Ed. ES-355, which many collectors consider one of the finest vintage models ever made. First introduced in 1958, the TV Pelham Blue ES-355 includes all the great features found in the original including a laminated maple body cut to the historic specs, a mahogany 1960s SlimTaper neck, pearloid block inlays, Grover 18:1 ratio machine heads, and Alnico Classic PRO humbuckers along with a Bigsby vibrato and a LockTone bridge.

View attachment 83647
View attachment 83648
View attachment 83649
View attachment 83650

I like my sheraton

Attachments

• IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 2

C-Grin

Reaction score

View attachment 83647
View attachment 83648
View attachment 83649
View attachment 83650
Likee!

TonyK

Reaction score
Well, my first electric was an SG special which I bought in 1973. Superb. Then I bought my dream guitar, a walnut special edition ES-335 in 1998-ish. WOW. I was in love. Then a year or so later I bought a far cheaper Telecaster American Standard... it became my go-to most-versatile guitar. Period. I still pull out my 335 every few months to see if my opinion has changed. Did that yesterday. No. My opinion hasn't changed no matter how fantastic my 335 is :) ymmv...

Uncle Fester

Reaction score
Yes the Gibson is without a doubt the overall finest Electric Guitar ever made, and it is best Paired with any Fender Amp. With the Fender Amps you pair the ES335 with the Deluxe Reverb Years 66-1978 or AB763 circuits. For Lesser needs a Champ does it and beyond that it simply depends on the venue. Next will be a Telecaster, then Les Paul then Strat. If you have never played a 57 Tele through a Plexi or an 800 then I am real sorry for you. even the 57-62 Tele reissue pups are monsters unchained. DanElectro Lipsticks are straight away Killers through the Marshalls. For Referance on the larger amplification needs, Mr Johan Segeborn "Rock" is Crushing any and all doubts on the Fenders. My favorite is Get your Marshall Cranked with a Line out into a Bassman with moderately clean settings. Now get the 335 and donkey stomp a warthog. But the Tele/Mashall is nothing short of an addiction. Cheers