Is trading my '74 Superbass fro a 6100 a good idea?

• Thread starter Duppy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Duppy

Reaction score
I've been gassing for a 6100 for a while and one has come up for sale in my area. I haven't got the cash but could potentially offer a trade.

It wouldn't be easy to see the Superbass go, but i've got a Laney Supergroup 60 to keep my NMV classic crunch tones in check.

The reason i've been thinking of the 6100 is because a lot of the songs my band plays have multiple parts that switch between clean/light crunch, overdrive and heavy and no other amp is set up better than the 6100. I find switching between multiple pedals a bit of a ball ache. I've been using an Orange Dual Terror lately and loving that, but it just doesn't pack the trouser flap of a Marshall.

Am I stupid for considering this? I think it's the 6100 with 5881's, black tolex.

dptone5

Reaction score
Too bad you can't have both. I love my 6100....great versatility and tone for sure. Never played a Super Bass, but I'm sure it's crazy good...

Tough call man. Whatever you decide, don't look back! :)

DP

Force235

Reaction score
Love my 6100, it's the EL34 version (blue tolex) I wouldn't have it any other way, I just like the EL34s in any amp over 6L6s. It's a classic itself, so maybe if you hold out for a EL34 version you can have both a classic collectible that is very playable out...

marshallmaniak

Reaction score
sorry but, yes you are stupid
the Superbass is a real collector piece, it's THE Marshall sound, you have one sound but a amazing sound, just play the right stomp boxes to switch between the sounds you need
the 6100 give you several sounds but not the really good one with EL34 and Mustard caps ( the 6100 you can have is 5881 loaded and have cheap components)

plexilespaul

Reaction score
i had both the 6l6 6100 and a 1973 superbass...
the superbass was super loud and not volume friendly but it had a classic tone and pedals sang through this amp. the 6l6 version on the other hand was very versatile and had great great cleans and was volume friendly but lacked on the crunch channel. the lead channel was beautifull strong and articulate...
value wise the superbass is a more expensive amp make sure the guy with the 6100 pays you the difference.

richieG

Reaction score
I would keep the superbass. It has THE clean sound to use as a platform.

Add two nice OD boxes in front of of it and you end up with the sounds of a 4 channel amp. Clean, crunch, Drive and scream with them stacked.

It's hard to beat them for a pedal friendly amp. Plus it's a vintage amp that will always be cool.

I had a 6100 and while it sounded good ( great ) but it was a dud and a monumental pain in the arse to get repaired.

That's just what I think.

Duppy

Reaction score
The Superbass is a cool amp for sure, but i'm thinking more about my needs than the collect ability or kudos that it gives. It's volume is crushing so I never get to set it for it's natural overdrive (which is immense by the way).

And before you suggest, I've been down the whole attenuator route and didn't get on with it for several reasons.

I like the simplicity of guitar>wah>delay>amp and actually prefer the sound of an amps distortion over that of pedals.

Besides, pedals are another thing to go wrong and faff about with when it comes to gigging. Playing and singing is enough for me to try and deal with.

And for the record my Superbass is a '74, the first they went to circuit board, apparently no different tonally from a '73, but less desirable all the same so probably not worth as much as most folk think.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
Try to find out some maintenance history on the 6100. There is no doubt that it will fulfill your needs...they are absolutely awesome. You'll want one that's been well taken care of though.

wiorys

Reaction score
Hell yeah. I will trade you a Bogner Shiva for the Super Bass.

Interesting. In know that Marshall is from UK and Shiva from US but you can get 2 Marshalls for Shiva price in Europe. Super Bass is cheaper than 2203/2204/1987/1959...

BTW. I own 6100 EL34 black edition (non-lm), so it's like blue one.

If you want one good sound keep your superbass. If you want versatility and clean channel get 6100. IMHO 6100 is not as good as the old amps. Any old amp. It's just modern. Old amps sound bigger, thicker when cranked. New amps like 6100 sound thinner, not so punchy.
I liked old 2203/4210/1987 much better. Anyway I'm still using 6100 because I need fx loop and versatility.

If you play light rock music (with strat, Clapton etc) 6100 actually might be better than Superbass. In any other application old Marshalls will destroy the 6100.

Duppy

Reaction score
@johnfv I'm not desperate to sell the Superbass, it's a great amp, but would consider a trade if something really impressed me and had what i'd been looking for.

Hypertheticly I don't think i'd take less than £800.

MajorWatt

Reaction score
I would keep the superbass. It has THE clean sound to use as a platform.

Add two nice OD boxes in front of of it and you end up with the sounds of a 4 channel amp. Clean, crunch, Drive and scream with them stacked.

It's hard to beat them for a pedal friendly amp. Plus it's a vintage amp that will always be cool.

I had a 6100 and while it sounded good ( great ) but it was a dud and a monumental pain in the arse to get repaired.

That's just what I think.

Agree......The 6100 is so hard to repair, in 10 years it will probably be a flower pot and the Superbass will still be rocking...

peterichardz

Reaction score

Latest posts