It Sucks To Be Right/dsl40cr!

• Thread starter Gene Ballzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Bought a new DSL40CR and 91016 footswitch. Amp is great but using it with the 6 position footswitch not so great. Seems to work fine when I first turn it on but if I press #3 or #6 the footswitch lights turn off and it becomes nonfunctional unless I turn the amp off and back on. I also tried a different cable and still no luck. The OEM footswitch seems to work except when plugged in I can not switch channels on the amp but only on the footswitch. Maybe that is normal? Also the 91016 functions perfectly while in standby but starts acting up when powering on in 20w or 40w mode. Strang since the OEM foot switch works fine.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
What's the manufactue date? It will be the last fou digits of the serial number, separated by a hyphen on the back panel, right by the bar code, on a little white sticker!Just Curious?
Gene

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is something for you guys to try with these foot controller issues.

With the foot controllers plugged in, try putting the amp front panel switches in all the states/combinations you can think of, while then messing with the foot controller in the positions with the issues you have, during each combination of front panel switch settings. Maybe there is a conflict between the front panel network values and the foot controller circuit??

Just a thought to try . . . . . .

lovehifi

Reaction score
What's the manufactue date? It will be the last fou digits of the serial number, separated by a hyphen on the back panel, right by the bar code, on a little white sticker!Just Curious?
Gene
It says Jan 18.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Here is something for you guys to try with these foot controller issues.

With the foot controllers plugged in, try putting the amp front panel switches in all the states/combinations you can think of, while then messing with the foot controller in the positions with the issues you have, during each combination of front panel switch settings. Maybe there is a conflict between the front panel network values and the foot controller circuit??

Just a thought to try . . . . . .

Tried that and it seems the foot switch fails when switching master volumes or engaging the FX loop from the front panel. The lights on the FS just go blank and it no longer functions until I go to standby again. Not sure if its an amp or foot switch issue. The amp was manufactured 01-18. Maybe I should return it and get a later manufacture date. But then again it may arrive with the same problem or even a different one. Damn

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging the FS when this happens?

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Mine also has an 01-18 manufacture date! On mine, everything functions perfectly with the foot switch, until the amp has been on for 20 to 30 minutes. switching to standby makes all footswitch functions operate correctly, but if amp is already "warmed up" switching it back to either power level mode makes the problem re-appear immediately! Also, if the foot switch gets unplugged, all front panel operations function perfectly but plugging the foot switch back in brings the problem right back!

I had tried every possible front panel combination before plugging in the foot switch, but still the same issues, onece amp is warmed up.

The Marshall service center, at US MusicCorp says they suspect a chip programming error, but I cry BS, as that should not be affected by the temperature factor. I think it's a faulty/bad run of components! I also suspect that they are well aware of this and simply don't want to own up to it, along with the flood of returns it may prompt! I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and the chance to make it right, but.......!

@lovehifi I'm gonna bet that if you leave the amp on long enough, even the OEM, two button switch will act up also! Give it a try and please report back here!

It's a shame, as these amps sound great, and when the switching functions correctly, it makes for a very useable and usefully handy amp! I kinda suspect that one reason we're not hearing more similar complaints is that many may not be bothering to even utilize the foot switching capabilities very much?

Just Sayin'
Gene

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
What I was getting at, was a similar thing that happens on the TSL100/TSL122. You have to have the front panel switching controls in a specific state/position or the foot controller will not function properly.

With the foot controllers plugged in you guys can still use the front panel switches to change states? I would think that would be a bad thing to do, if the foot controller is plugged in. I am thinking you should not try switching channels and such on the front panel once the foot controller is plugged in. But what do I know.

I can not recall if I have changed things on the front panel of my JVM while having the foot controller in.

@lovehifi: Did you try for an example, having the Red channel engaged then plug in foot controller. Next, have Green channel engaged then plug in foot controller ect? Try every combo.

Are the front panel switches momentary or latching? If latching, are they positional as IN/OUT?

But like Gene is getting at, could just be some out of tolerance parts being used. And then all these new amps use the tiny 1/4W resistors everywhere now . . . .

Easton55

Reaction score
With the foot controllers plugged in you guys can still use the front panel switches to change states? I would think that would be a bad thing to do, if the foot controller is plugged in. I am thinking you should not try switching channels and such on the front panel once the foot controller is plugged in. But what do I know.

Is this a potential issue on all amps Ricky? I can't remember if I've tried both ways on my 100H, but didn't even realize it could be a problem. If so, I'll have to remember not to from now on.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Yeah Ricky,
When the two button foot switch is plugged in, the only front panel switches that function are the tone shift and red/green mode s for each channel, but they don't select the channel. I can only guess how it reacts with the six button switch.
Just Sayin'
Gene

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score

Is this a potential issue on all amps Ricky? I can't remember if I've tried both ways on my 100H, but didn't even realize it could be a problem. If so, I'll have to remember not to from now on.

I am not certain on that really. Just fishing for ideas. When it comes to midi type controllers, maybe that could be something that could cause controller conflicts but I am not certain.

Old school simpler circuits that have switches that function in parallel or individual is obviously not a problem, as that is just mechanical function. But I am not sure how these new DSL's are orientated now.

Yeah Ricky,
When the two button foot switch is plugged in, the only front panel switches that function are the tone shift and red/green mode s for each channel, but they don't select the channel. I can only guess how it reacts with the six button switch.
Just Sayin'
Gene

Those functions you mentioned that do still operate might just be simple switches.

But then the modes for each channel are also memory assignable in the 6 button JVM type controller? You can assign or turn that amp into a four channel foot controlled amp?

lovehifi

Reaction score
Well I have decided to swap mine out. Will ask Sweetwater to pick me a later manufacture date and have their tech check it out before shipping. If they can't or won't I will just return it. Hate it because its a nice sounding amp especially with the 12m 65 I installed.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Okay now I am confused. This morning I can not get the 91016 foot switch to fail. I have tried every channel, switching loop on and off and switching master volumes all from the foot switch and it works perfectly. I have put the amp in and out of standby both 20w and 40w and no problems. Played for about an hour so the amp was good and warmed up and still no issues. Even switched loop on and off via the front panel and switched the master volume from front panel and no problems. Did not do any channel switching from the front panel with the foot switch plugged in though. Only thing I did different was unplug the AC from the wall and unplug the foot switch before I went to bed last night. This morning I plugged the foot switch in and plugged the AC in and all works perfectly. Last night and all day yesterday the foot switch was not working as it should. Now the amp is off and waiting for it to cool down and will try it again.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Never mind. Failed again. Got an RA and its going back. Shame.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Yes indeed! It appears that Marshall has righteously "screwed the pooch" on this one and it will likely cost them a bunch of $$$$$, as well sa reputation downgrades! I wonder how their "sharp pencil" guys feel now about the few pennies saved on cheap components, to "enhance" their profit margins? If they had worked for me, they'd be pondering this as they sit waiting for interviews for their new jobs! :wow: Many of their smartest and best designers/engineers have already left, voluntarily for greener pastures!

Just Firin'
Gene

Djmindtrip

Reaction score
mine build date is 3/18 and has the foot switch fx loop bug.. i hope Marshall can fix this pretty annoying..

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Anyone here know if the 100hr has the switching issue? Basically same layout as the 40c.

matttornado

Reaction score
I have an 01 18 date code also on my DSL 40CR. The only issue I'm having is that once in a while it forgets what master I have each channel assigned to.
I have to go over to the amp and re-assign the correct master for the channel I'm on. I tried like like hell to re-create the problem but it seems to be random.

I been gigging this amp hard no for a few months on the 40 watt mode with the masters almost up half way & other rom what I just mentioned, it's been great.

I wonder if the switching issues are ESD or RF related? I say that because I do ESD testing here at work on our products and ESD can cause these same types of problems. Just throwing out there, Marshall if you're reading this.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
The only "continuous reports" are on internet forums and social media, and usually from people that are never happy with any purchase, just look at their posting history.

It's also rare that someone will buy a DSL and then come to the forums to complain about how they didnt have any issue with their purchase right?

Anyways.... just my observation from the sidelines and owning a DSL100H for 4 years with ZERO complaints, renting various models of the new "R" line again with zero complaints, issues, or problems.

Carry on :hippie:

There are continuous reports, just read this thread that you are looking at.

"Anyways.... just my observation from the sidelines and owning a DSL100H for 4 years with ZERO complaints, renting various models of the new "R" line again with zero complaints, issues, or problems."

Apparently, you lucked out.