I've seen it all now!

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TassieViking

Reaction score
Under Downunder Where The Devils Roam At Night
How in the hell can they claim to have “the most accurate reproduction” when the original pickups were scatter wound with random numbers of turns from one pickup to the next? Some PAFs were incredible, but some were much less so. They were very inconsistent.
Maybe they were hand-wound by Chinese peasants with no clear instructions on what they wanted ?

Norfolk Martin

Reaction score
Appalling as I find this, Gibson are merely responding to 30 years of internet hype that the best guitar can only be produced using 1950s technology and materials. If there wasn't a quasi-religious cult that worships the 59 Les Paul, they wouldn't bother.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Appalling as I find this, Gibson are merely responding to 30 years of internet hype that the best guitar can only be produced using 1950s technology and materials. If there wasn't a quasi-religious cult that worships the 59 Les Paul, they wouldn't bother.
Hmmm...
I think maybe sometimes Gibson do slightly encourage it just a little bit.

matttornado

Reaction score
I seen this earlier and went W T F ?

I've bought whole guitars cheaper. As a matter of fact my SG was $600 lol.

As much as I like Gibson, they've lost their damn mind with that pricing.

I will never understand the obsession over how everything Gibson has to be 1959 spec.
I'm sure they produced a lot of turds back in 59 too. Why people think older must be better is beyond my sense of logic.

matttornado

Reaction score
This. If I were to somehow stumble onto a "vintage" guitar, I would sell it the same day and bank the money.
The $500,000 Les Paul probably sounds like crap but someone will insists it sounds better than anything else and will buy. HAHA

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm not hung up on 50s spec Les Pauls but definitely a Les Paul is one of my favorite designs. However I prefer them with upgraded, modern hardware. My ideal Les Paul would be an R9 factory upgraded with Schaller M6 tuning machines and TonePros locking bridge and tailpiece hardware of the Nashville variation. Not ABR1. Actually I'd go with a TonePros modded TP6 fine tuning tailpiece.

In other words, it's what I already have, that I built for myself in 2001.

p3x

Reaction score
For the price, will Gibson guarantee I'll be able to play like Duane Allman?

Mrmadd

Reaction score
For 999 there is a lot guitars I would find happiness with.
In fact,
I have already done that.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
that is for "hobby rockers". Same with golf clubs. Market crap to people who don't need it and imply that it will improve their talents when it won't. Want to sound like thin lizzy? You won't. Ever. You will sound like you , with less money

Crikey

Reaction score
Can we get Gibson to put some type of really bright sticker on the Pups, cause once they r in a guitar, no one can telli wasted $1,000 on some old style Pups to impress other musicians

Derrick111

Reaction score
Gibson can't even offer it's customers basic parts for it's baseline guitars which they have sold for decades, but they can come up with $1k pickups in a one time usage case. M-kay... They told me to get a aftermarket pickguard for a very expensive guitar recently. I used to love Gibson.

Donnie Ellis

Reaction score
The entire musical instrument industry is pushing harder and harder by the day looking for the biggest suckers to ever walk the earth. Just when I think I've seen it all, this pops up.

1959 Humbucker Collector’s Edition Series 1

View attachment 144506
I thought the same thing, Gibson sent me an email and when I opened I saw those pick-ups and about had a stroke! The guitars posted on their site when I get an email from them anymore are all $19,999 WTF!!! There is no way a Friggin Guitar is worth that much money 20K plus tax, I don't care what kind of wood it's made out of or what kind of electronics are in it!!!!! It's a bunch of BS!!!

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'm sure they produced a lot of turds back in 59 too. Why people think older must be better is beyond my sense of logic.

I'd bet so. Vintage can also be a term for "highly overrated" in certain cases. Then again I tend like Norlin era guitars that people constantly talk down on.

Funny thing is that several musicians still made good music with them.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
They come in a really nice case tho....

PU59DCNC2-SET_case_open.png
I wonder what it would be like trying to get this through TSA...They would pull you aside for sure...