Janes Addiction Tampa FL - Marshall In The Wild

• Thread starter ByrdmanFL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
So I guess JA’s in the news ‘cause Farrell took a swing at Navarro in Boston, shutting the show down.
Yeah I read about all of it yesterday. Evidently the rest of the band was playing too loud and drowning him out causing him to strain to sing. I'm not experienced at running sound for a huge show like this, but couldnt the sound guy just turn him up or turn the band down if that was really the case?

Like I said earlier, in Tampa, the band was tight AF and PF was dragging behind the beat all night and he seemed sloppy drunk on stage. Maybe they were trying to cover him up on purpose if he was doing the same. Plus reviews on the shows after mine seemed to indicate our show wasnt the only one he was having issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
Shows of that size use 2 types of mixing boards. The FOH and the monitor. Perry’s beef is with the monitor engineer if he couldn’t hear himself.

He can’t be so drunk/stoned to not know/rememder that he can’t hear what’s coming out of the FOH system because he should only care what’s in his monitor mix. Being a monitor console engineer is hazardous duty sometimes.

The monitor console is usually located deep stage right behind the curtains where the monitor engineers can see the artists and they can see him. Typically, they communicate with little hand cues.

If you don’t know what you’re doing mixing monitors, you become a target of a steady assault of drumsticks thrown at you by the drummer or someone loses their mind like Perry did. He should know this.

He must have been completely out of it to think a Marshall 1/2 stack is drowning his voice out via stage volume from Dave in a stage that large.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Shows of that size use 2 types of mixing boards. The FOH and the monitor. Perry’s beef is with the monitor engineer if he couldn’t hear himself.

He can’t be so drunk/stoned to not know/rememder that he can’t hear what’s coming out of the FOH system because he should only care what’s in his monitor mix. Being a monitor console engineer is hazardous duty sometimes.

The monitor console is usually located deep stage right behind the curtains where the monitor engineers can see the artists and they can see him. Typically, they communicate with little hand cues.

If you don’t know what you’re doing mixing monitors, you become a target of a steady assault of drumsticks thrown at you by the drummer or someone loses their mind like Perry did. He should know this.

He must have been completely out of it to think a Marshall 1/2 stack is drowning his voice out via stage volume from Dave in a stage that large.

At the Tampa show I was at, the monitor mixing board setup was on the right, but out in the open. No excuse IMO for a seasoned singer if that was all it was

Derrick111

Reaction score
Right... doesn't Perry use in ear monitors? If so, that would seem to negate the band volume thing even further than the doubt of Dave's single half stack in such large venues being an issue. With the band's statement about hoping Perry gets the helps he needs, it's looking more like drinking or substance abuse. People at other shows said the vox were low in the audience... possibly to cover Perry's voice "issues". were these from being sick or working it too hard, or from being drunk? In that video above, Dave typically cues Perry when the lead comes in, but the night of the fight, Perry looks as if he is lost on another planet when he does it. If you look at Perry's wife's video, it appears as if you can make out Eric blasting some brutal uppercuts to Perry. Much much worse than the glancing hit across Dave's shoulder that everyone is talking about. Anyhow, I love JA and hope they can recover/get past this and continue on.

Whizzercone

Reaction score
Right... doesn't Perry use in ear monitors? If so, that would seem to negate the band volume thing even further than the doubt of Dave's single half stack in such large venues being an issue. With the band's statement about hoping Perry gets the helps he needs, it's looking more like drinking or substance abuse. People at other shows said the vox were low in the audience... possibly to cover Perry's voice "issues". were these from being sick or working it too hard, or from being drunk? In that video above, Dave typically cues Perry when the lead comes in, but the night of the fight, Perry looks as if he is lost on another planet when he does it. If you look at Perry's wife's video, it appears as if you can make out Eric blasting some brutal uppercuts to Perry. Much much worse than the glancing hit across Dave's shoulder that everyone is talking about. Anyhow, I love JA and hope they can recover/get past this and continue on.
On a large stage, you can't hear that amp if you move away from it. With in ears, you can't hear anything unless it is crazy loud. I wonder if Perry relapsed.

El Gringo

Reaction score
At the Tampa show I was at, the monitor mixing board setup was on the right, but out in the open. No excuse IMO for a seasoned singer if that was all it was
I will also add that it was very unprofessional of Perry Farrell to have a fit of anger and then square off with Dave Navarro . Thus the audience was deprived of the full show which the audience paid for . Very Unprofessional !

Deftone

Reaction score

Interesting vid....I think PF might have a drinking problem. It's looks to me like he wants to ramble and talk while the band is trying to play and perhaps keep him from making an ass of himself.

To their credit, not using backing tracks. But maybe they should for vocals at least?

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Well now the whole tour has been cancelled . Way to go Perry Farrell :(
Yep, and all those support people are unemployed now. They should get paid out of PF's money over the next month or so.

Hopefully, PF is going to go away to a "Health Spa" (again) for 30 days and maybe they can get it back on track in the fall or early spring to finish off those last 14 shows they are cancelling. They do have a new album coming out so I'm sure the unemployed road crew are not the only ones pissed at him right now.

Derrick111

Reaction score
They do have a new album coming out so I'm sure the unemployed road crew are not the only ones pissed at him right now.
Lets remember that while you are responsible for your actions, no one chooses to be a junky or alcoholic. We don't really know the details since we are just internet spectators chatting, but being "pissed" at Perry for being sick might be very unfounded. As for Perry putting on a band-aid and hitting the road again in 30 days... I'm skeptical since this appears serious and even then, Avery could call it quits again or possibly others. Avery really hates Perry and has not participated in much of the post 1991 JA as a result. Don't forget, while everyone across the internet etc. was looking at and talking about Perry's hit to Dave's shoulder, it looked like it was actually Eric who planted some devastating blows to Perry when I walked over to "diffuse" the situation putting him in what looked like a headlock. The only real footage that seems to show these punches were actually from Perry's Wife's footage because of her angle and proximity after the lights went dark. Avery punched like there was over 30 years of anger behind it, not to mention Perry said "F-you" to him first before going after Dave. That had to leave a mark.

Latest posts