Jcm 2000 dsl-100

• Thread starter maltone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maltone

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking to sell a Fender to finance a used JCM 2000 DSL-100.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play the amp yet. I just wanted some feedback on how classic this amp sounds and feels - and if it sounds organic - natural order harmonics etc.

Some Marshall's I've heard - for whatever reason, don't have those even order harmonics. When you play a D chord for example, rather than getting all those beautiful decaying high harmonics, you get this ugly lower (dropped d) harmonic after the chord is played - I hate that sound.

I'm into classic rock tones - like Malcolm young's tone - not metal or high gain.
Much thanks.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking to sell a Fender to finance a used JCM 2000 DSL-100.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play the amp yet. I just wanted some feedback on how classic this amp sounds and feels - and if it sounds organic - natural order harmonics etc.

Some Marshall's I've heard - for whatever reason, don't have those even order harmonics. When you play a D chord for example, rather than getting all those beautiful decaying high harmonics, you get this ugly lower (dropped d) harmonic after the chord is played - I hate that sound.

I'm into classic rock tones - like Malcolm young's tone - not metal or high gain.
Much thanks.

Unless you mod it, the DSL is going to sound MODERN as hell.

The original JOEY mods, If followed exactly, will tame some of this and give it a tad more Plexi-ish sound, But do You want to get that far into it? If not, I suggest You find find a Used Plexi Re-issue or a VINTAGE MODERN will get you in that territory.

Sorry I can't give you better news, A DSL is what it is.

:):) TWIN

jcmjmp

Reaction score

That is f****ed up. Never heard of anyone stating something like that before and none of the Marshalls I've played or heard do that.

Don't believe everything you read on the 'net.

Gtrman58

Reaction score
I like mine but its not real close to my old super lead. I mean its got that crunch, and you have more options that you do with an older MK II or III....plexi. if you're really picky you might just go for a re-issue of one of the other models or go to a place that sells them all and put them up side by side. Unfortunately there are not a lot of stores like that around me... good luck.

nedcronin

Reaction score
I think you'll be able to get what you are looking for. Just don't use the deep switch, which IMO sounds tubby anyway, especially at gig volume it's not needed. I would bet you will get a lot closer to the tone you want then that Fender is going to get you.

RazorDave

Reaction score
DSL's are an all around good amp. If you use alot of palm muting, you will defenitly want a good OD slammed in the front, as the dsl is quite flabby on the chugging riffs. Still a beautiful amp. I played it for over 10 years, and might go back!

maltone

Reaction score
JCMJMP, you said, "That is f****ed up. Never heard of anyone stating something like that before and none of the Marshalls I've played or heard do that. Don't believe everything you read on the 'net."

It's nothing I've read. I've heard guys play live with Marshall's that have that tone. Maybe they were playing with too much gain, odd order harmonics? - not sure. But I've heard it in person.

Update. I got to play this DSL 100 today through my Gretsch, and I LOVED it. It was extremely organic sounding. I can't believe how much firmness and punch it has. I only used the "classic/gain" channel, volume at 3, gain at about the same. Even then, it was amazing. I'm sold.

I owned a Vintage Modern 50 watt, sold it. It didn't really do it for me, it certainly didn't have the oomph this DSL has. I thought the DSL sounded amazing.

All4Tone

Reaction score
Tube amps are preferable because of their even harmonic distortion, yet for some reason, what you think you hear from a Marshall is odd harmonic distortion?? My guess is that your guess is wrong.
You may not like the tone you hear, but it aint because of what you think it is.
If I sat you down and showed you the difference, you'd understand why so many people love tube amps and preamps over ss equivalents.

If you think you're not hearing even order distortion from a Marshall, then you really don't know what odd order sounds like.....

Glad the dsl worked out for you, but the vm is no less an amp. I love'em both with different guitars.

maltone

Reaction score
All4Tone: Not sure why I heard that, but I've seen several bands at fairly large venue in my city. One band in particular played a few AC/DC covers, and when the guitar(s) came through, it sounded like way too much gain - to the point where the notes in a D chord didn't chime or sustain with those higher harmonics - think of the intro to Cold Gin, the live version from Kiss Alive. As the chord decays, you hear these higher harmonics.

When this band played those chords, you heard the initial high notes in the chord, but then a few seconds after the chord was played, you heard the low D - an octave lower harmonic, muddy kind of. Maybe they weren't using tube Marshalls? I'm not sure. When they played the first A intro riff to "shoot to thrill", it didn't decay with those upper register harmonics like on the recording, it sounded kind of... gainy and flat. That's the only way I can describe it.

I was really impressed with the DSL 100. I thought it sounded amazing. Even at a very moderate volume setting, it was really dynamic, very firm and immediate. I had the Vintage Modern 50 about a year ago. I sold it. Obviously KT66's sound different than 4 EL34's. I just found the EL34's had that bark and firmness in the mid-range that I always wanted to hear - that I didn't hear in the VM

I probably would have bought a DSL 100 used if one had been available a few months ago. My Fender 22 watt does have it's own character, very bright and jangly, and can do some really good rock n' roll tones if both gain knobs are used modestly. It'd be nice to keep both, but I can't afford to do that. So I think the DSL is the way to go. Much thanks for your input All4Tone

All4Tone

Reaction score
Well, even ss Marshalls have the desirable second harmonic distortion, hell, even software based virtual amps do this, but there are many other factors that make a tube amp preferable. It sounds more like a bad mix you heard than anything wrong with the amps. Too much gain has no bearing on the order of harmonic distortion, it adds more distortion and compression, but it doesn't change the amp design. The cabs thy used, guitars, pedals, PA system, room and several other factors gp into producing the overall sound you heard.

On another note, every head can sound much different, even louder or quieter with different speakers. Compare the typical 75's in a 1960 cab with a set of v30's and you'll know exactly what I mean.

One thing is clear though, you have a great amp!

maltone

Reaction score
All4Tone: you said, "one this is clear though, you have a great amp". Were you referring to the Supersonic 22, or the DSL?

Yeah, the speakers... when I played the amp I played it through 2 GT12-75's. I have a friend's Mesa cab with 2 vintage 30's I've been running the Fender through - it sounds really good through them. I can't compare GT-75's to V30's unless I'm running the Marshall through both - side by side.

So you're saying the V30's are louder than the GT-75's? I really like the mid range and firmness I heard in those 75's. Everything sounded so rich and balanced, the trebles were bright, but not blingy or piercing. It almost sounded recorded. Mind you, the room I was in had walled carpeting, and floor, and was smaller than my basement.

All4Tone

Reaction score
I was referring to the dsl. I might be a little biased that way though...
The v30's have a different response curve than the 75's and they are a little more efficient by a db or 3, so that combined with their in your face response makes them louder. Don't get me wrong, not everyone likes them better, they're just a different flavor. I also like the 75's!

RazorDave

Reaction score
That Harmonic talk is lingo that I have never heard in my lifetime. Then again, Im pretty ignorant with tech talk!

jcmjmp

Reaction score
JCMJMP, you said, "That is f****ed up. Never heard of anyone stating something like that before and none of the Marshalls I've played or heard do that. Don't believe everything you read on the 'net."

It's nothing I've read. I've heard guys play live with Marshall's that have that tone. Maybe they were playing with too much gain, odd order harmonics? - not sure. But I've heard it in person.

Maybe they were just out of tune. I find that out of tune guitars sound like nails on a blackboard.

Ken

Reaction score
Some Marshall's I've heard - for whatever reason, don't have those even order harmonics. .

Um...JCM 900 DR? *ducking*

Glad you liked the DSL. I swear by mine; it does everything and then some. Plus they're cheap!

Ken

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Tube amps are preferable because of their even harmonic distortion, yet for some reason, what you think you hear from a Marshall is odd harmonic distortion?? My guess is that your guess is wrong.
You may not like the tone you hear, but it aint because of what you think it is.
If I sat you down and showed you the difference, you'd understand why so many people love tube amps and preamps over ss equivalents.

If you think you're not hearing even order distortion from a Marshall, then you really don't know what odd order sounds like.....

Glad the dsl worked out for you, but the vm is no less an amp. I love'em both with different guitars.
can of bees,fizzy pop,harsh and piercing.

maybe the guys he heard "live" were using effects, dialed in their amps weird or something but, yeah i doubt it was odd order harmonics unless they were running some old SS distortion box or something.

Frankie

Reaction score
DSL for the win. It can do classic tones out of the box, you don't have to mod it, but you should. Turn the gain down a little on the green channel, crank it up, and it's classic rock city with a little bit of modern flavor hidden in there. My green channel sounds a lot like my 2203.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i love DSL's. I wish i could own that and a 2205. I probably will evebtualy:D

Frankie

Reaction score
I've decided that I could probably do without my whole amp collection as long as I still had my DSL and my one 1960 cab. It really does it all.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've decided that I could probably do without my whole amp collection as long as I still had my DSL and my one 1960 cab. It really does it all.
that makes me second guess the 2205 honestly.....

I'm probably still going ot go that route though. I'm sure i'll end up with a DSL again though. I'd LIKE to own one or two of every Marshall head some day.

Latest posts