Jcm 2000 Dsl 100w

• Thread starter ibmorjamn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Ok , so I am desperate right now trying to sift through mountains of info and reading is getting to me.
I just got a little trade/exchange/try out for the JMD.
Just in the door is the JCM DSL 2000 !
4 preamp tubes and I am wondering what goes where asap !
GT 12ax7R (phase inverter ?) JJ EC803s , EH 12ax7 and a marshall ecc83 ?

Last edited:

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
Think you might have a typo. Never heard of 12a7r.

You can put any of those tubes in any order that you like. Or even try different orders. It's called tube rolling. Lots of us here do it.

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
I have a JJ803S. It is a basically a long plated ECC83. Good to use in heads. I also have one of the EH's. I use it in V3. Supposed to be a good place for it. I just recently read where you don't have to have a balanced PI tube. So, it doesn't matter what goes there. The stock Marshall ECC83 would work.

Ken

Reaction score
My advice is to retube the whole amp, but save the old tubes as they may be fine and you may even like some of the preamp tubes. Power amp tubes in a DSL are less critical as long as you bias them in the preferred 75-82 mA range. Get a set of EH, Ruby, etc. for the preamp, then sub your tubes one by one in each position. Since a DSL has so much gain on tap, a lower gain tube in V1 or V2 may be to your liking, OR the new tubes may seem to wake the amp up.

In the big picture, the DSL is a simple amp with a huge tonal range due to the EQ and gain structure. Tubes make a difference but that's the last place to tweak your tone, not the first.

Ken

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
My advice is to retube the whole amp, but save the old tubes as they may be fine and you may even like some of the preamp tubes. Power amp tubes in a DSL are less critical as long as you bias them in the preferred 75-82 mA range. Get a set of EH, Ruby, etc. for the preamp, then sub your tubes one by one in each position. Since a DSL has so much gain on tap, a lower gain tube in V1 or V2 may be to your liking, OR the new tubes may seem to wake the amp up.

In the big picture, the DSL is a simple amp with a huge tonal range due to the EQ and gain structure. Tubes make a difference but that's the last place to tweak your tone, not the first.

Ken
Well , not going to retube . Long story but a member and myself Are doing a trial amp exchange. I received the DSl yesterday and after much research going in circles I just put them in. I got recomedation of using the GT first and that works well.

Ghostman

Reaction score
As said before, tube rolling is Bullshit

zlY9Ftn.gif

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Bullshit relative to what tschrama , it does nothing or it's not worth it or you never got good results or everything is bullshit ?
Honestly I was just trying to figure out best positions to try this amp out however thanks for your help !
1427dzo.jpg