JCM 2000 DSL 401 vs DSL 40C

• Thread starter NINFNM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

konrad gibson

Reaction score
Hi, I have two dsl 401 (one limited from 2000 Frankfurt music fair and one of the first from 1999) and a 2019 dsL 40 CR. 40 CR is more versatile, got because of bigger size more bass and fatter tone, more headroom, good clean tone, four channels, two master volumes for soloing!!!!, cleans up very well. Six way foot controller is a must have. On the old ones the clean channel is great for blues when enlarging the gain knob. THe orange channel is not as good as the 40CR classic gain red channel. DSL 401 red channel is good, but I like DSL 40CR OD1 of the ultra channel way better. Gary Moore used the DSL (401) green channel only and boosted the signal by pedals. So you have to try both amps. https://conny-martin.de/

NINFNM

Reaction score
Arrived
IMG_20211122_181706_1.jpg

After many years using Fender and ENGL almost exclusively, I feel I've finally found my perfect amp.
Years ago I was dissapointed with a 4210 JCM 800 but now Marshall has done what I needed just right:
Marshall driven sound and good cleans, portable, louder than you will need while sounding perfect at whisper volumes.

Only thing is that there's a noticeable volume drop when changing from crunch to clean, so what I though was a useless feature, 2 masters, becomes a must. I have to set one master louder for clean tones, and the other one for the rest of settings, and problem solved.

Just in a minute I had the amp perfectly set. I never was so happy with my previous amps, always fighting against that dryness that cranking the mids didnt solve.
I neither think about swaping the speaker, it sounds warm but bitting from the beggining, and only can change for the better as it breaks in.

Thanks guys for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20211122_181706_1.jpg
    IMG_20211122_181706_1.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Arrived
View attachment 98293

After many years using Fender and ENGL almost exclusively, I feel I've finally found my perfect amp.
Years ago I was dissapointed with a 4210 JCM 800 but now Marshall has done what I needed just right:
Marshall driven sound and good cleans, portable, louder than you will need while sounding perfect at whisper volumes.

Only thing is that there's a noticeable volume drop when changing from crunch to clean, so what I though was a useless feature, 2 masters, becomes a must. I have to set one master louder for clean tones, and the other one for the rest of settings, and problem solved.

Just in a minute I had the amp perfectly set. I never was so happy with my previous amps, and pedals and settings didnt solve that. Always fighting against that dryness that dialing the mids didnt solve.
I neither think about swaping the speaker, it sounds warm but bitting from the beggining, and only can change for the better as it breaks in.

HNAD
Great to hear you got what works for you..
Cheers
Mitch

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrived
View attachment 98293

Just in a minute I had the amp perfectly set. I never was so happy with my previous amps, always fighting against that dryness that cranking the mids didnt solve.

Glad you’re happy with your new amp, congrats man!
:cheers:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Arrived
View attachment 98293

Right choice.

The JCM2000 DSL 401 is a great amp (I own one), but the parallel loop is crap and lets an otherwise great amp down

Macke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I guess in the end it is a matter of taste. I almost bought a DSL20 head, but after hours of listening, I got nowhere. Clean was acceptable, but drive channel was complete shit! (again, IMO)
So I tried with a JCM2000 DSL401 and I don't regret it. I managed to "pair" it with a Gibson LP and it sounds amazing. I must mention that I did change the speaker, as this is normally the first thing I do with combos. I put a Celestion Classic Lead and the sound changed to what I want/need. Reverb is OK, I like it, but this is the whole idea of having an old type of amp. Same with some old pedals, they have their own thing. The drive channel is great, I bought the footswitch and I can't be happier. It is a 2003 model, which obviously has the heating issue, hence me mounting 2 PC fans and it keeps it in the right temperature range. If I get to a point where I will have enough time, I'll make some recordings, both mic'd and DL out.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @NINFNM, I think you made a great choice with the R version of the amp. Great versatility in all the Dsls.

Latest posts