* JCM 2000 DSL Fans *

• Thread starter Neptical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
Proud ownership post of the JCM2000 DSLs. After taking time to baby the MOSFET Lead 100s, it was time to happily fire up the DSLs in which one will go back to practice.

HUGE fan of the Red Channel with a Boss SD-1/RAT clean boosting. Lead 1 with (typically) No Deep or Tone Shift engaged. These can be used pending cab - mostly just Deep ( using less Bass ) which gives it some reallllly nice thump.

Very peculiar settings - because the Boss SD-1 does all the work out front ( cut/grind ), I have always used Zero Treble, Zero Mids, Bass 5-7 and use Presence to taste. Results: TIGHT, PUNCHY and CUTTING. Very well rounded and absolutely superb for both rhythm and leads. Classic JCM tones.

I have forever wondered if the Treble and Mids were the reason these amps were sold or modded similarly to Rectos. IMHO - they don't do ANY justice for these amps ....not even a little. Either or makes the amp become brittle and harsh with the smallest amount. On top of that, I couldn't even imagine the amp un-boosted. Ooof.

Anywho, still one of my favorite Marshalls hands down!

Last edited:

clutch71

Reaction score
Lead 1 gain I set to 6 keeping the presence and treble low around 3. Bass at 4 and mids dimed with tone shift and deep off into a 1960B loaded with Greenbacks.

Years ago, I boosted things (a habit I picked up from Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers) and didn't think I could ever live without out it. I cleaned up my picking hand and have never looked back.

I will on occasion add an OD (I am a big fan of the SD-1 too) to the classic channel clean in a pseudo 3 channel configuration or to add a touch more hair to the crunch channel.

The JCM 2000 DSL 50 is still the amp that get's the most rotation in my collection. I do feel that they will be classics someday.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss my old DSL. It was my first Marshall, the one that got me into Marshall. The only complaint I had was the difference in bass between the clean green and the red channel, but a simple mod took care of that. Anyway, I ended up falling in love with the sound of green crunch boosted with an overdrive, and got used to using the amp as if it had a single channel.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proud ownership post of the JCM2000 DSLs. After taking time to baby the MOSFET Lead 100s, it was time to happily fire up the DSLs in which one will go back to practice.

HUGE fan of the Red Channel with a Boss SD-1/RAT clean boosting. Lead 1 with (typically) No Deep or Tone Shift engaged. These can be used pending cab - mostly just Deep ( using less Bass ) which gives it some reallllly nice thump.

Very peculiar settings - because the Boss SD-1 does all the work out front ( cut/grind ), I have always used Zero Treble, Zero Mids, Bass 5-7 and use Presence to taste. Results: TIGHT, PUNCHY and CUTTING. Very well rounded and absolutely superb for both rhythm and leads. Classic JCM tones.

I have forever wondered if the Treble and Mids were the reason these amps were sold or modded similarly to Rectos. IMHO - they don't do ANY justice for these amps ....not even a little. Either or makes the amp become brittle and harsh with the smallest amount. On top of that, I couldn't even imagine the amp un-boosted. Ooof.

Anywho, still one of my favorite Marshalls hands down!
Love the 2kDSL'S red channel clean boosted as well..TS9 or a Klon clone. Big full and crunchy. Similar to a 6 knobs Mv amp.

Anyone who hates the JCM2000 DSL's because they're "fizzy" has an amp not working up to its full potential..either physically not functioning correctly or user error..and oh yea..clean boost that thing like a proper Marshall!

My 2nd favorite Marshall after the 2204.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
JCM 2000 is a MIGHTY fine amp! I had a first year (1997) built 100 that I used on a bunch of albums. Recently acquired a 2003 DSL50 that had a Mercury Magnetics OT in it. I had the corresponding MM choke put in it and I liked the results so much that I hooked up a friend with my old 100 and now my 50 is my favorite amp. I use it at rehearsals and gigs and will be using it at all future studio sessions as well.

The secret, in my view, of the JCM 2000 DSL is to use it like a single channel amp. I keep it on red channel 1 with the deep switch in and the tone shift button out.

Settings as follows:
Presence 3
Treble 3
Middle 4
Bass 2.5
Gain 3

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Mine is not repaired yet so I can't comment much on it.

However, on the ones I've played around with...I like the green channel with the gain up fairly high with a boost out front. It's a thick throaty type of sound especially if you got some good pickups pushing it.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
STOP IT! please stop I'm gasing for JCM 2000 and there are none here:sad:
Bringing one from reverb will cost me a kidney (delivery+costumes)
Also stop showing everyone and let everybody know this is the best Marshall ever made.
After I get one you can.
I suspect in less than 1 year these are gonna sky rocket in price.

Neptical

Reaction score
FWIW, I sold my JCM 900 SL-X 2500 head as I much preferred and used my JCM 2000 DSLs more often. Rather have someone else enjoy it.

With that said, I want to put a JCM 900 DR in my hands again. I borrowed one for shows years back and it was one of the best tones I ever had on a stage.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
FWIW, I sold my JCM 900 SL-X 2500 head as I much preferred and used my JCM 2000 DSLs more often. Rather have someone else enjoy it.

With that said, I want to put a JCM 900 DR in my hands again. I borrowed one for shows years back and it was one of the best tones I ever had on a stage.
Get a bugera 1990 infinum. it's JCM 900 4100 replica with more gain and balls.
You can buy them dirt cheap.
I have one and it sounds great.

Neptical

Reaction score
Get a bugera 1990 infinum. it's JCM 900 4100 replica with more gain and balls.
You can buy them dirt cheap.
I have one and it sounds great.

Thanks for that rec! Yeaaah my buddy has one of those and just as your clip shows, those bad boys have some fantastic SNARL.

Am I hearing some HUM in those riffs? 🤟

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
Thanks for that rec! Yeaaah my buddy has one of those and just as your clip shows, those bad boys have some fantastic SNARL.

Am I hearing some HUM in those riffs? 🤟
No HUM;) this is loud as **** theoretically. it was recorded with a loadbox. the amp is loud!
On high volume with the 2536 cab it sounds glorious!
The stock preamp tubes are ok, once you switch them the amp comes alive.
Also it is really tight.
Because the woke agenda has taken all over this world I can't really use metaphoric joke on how tight it is...:fever:
But yeah... the JCM 2000 sounds better...:(

clutch71

Reaction score
JCM 2000 is a MIGHTY fine amp! I had a first year (1997) built 100 that I used on a bunch of albums. Recently acquired a 2003 DSL50 that had a Mercury Magnetics OT in it. I had the corresponding MM choke put in it and I liked the results so much that I hooked up a friend with my old 100 and now my 50 is my favorite amp. I use it at rehearsals and gigs and will be using it at all future studio sessions as well.

The secret, in my view, of the JCM 2000 DSL is to use it like a single channel amp. I keep it on red channel 1 with the deep switch in and the tone shift button out.

Settings as follows:
Presence 3
Treble 3
Middle 4
Bass 2.5
Gain 3
I think the DSL def benefits from an OT swap. I added a Mercury Magnetics OT about 15 years ago. Any aftermarket OT is probably wound better than the stock Dagnall.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Lead 1 gain I set to 6 keeping the presence and treble low around 3. Bass at 4 and mids dimed with tone shift and deep off into a 1960B loaded with Greenbacks.

Years ago, I boosted things (a habit I picked up from Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers) and didn't think I could ever live without out it. I cleaned up my picking hand and have never looked back.

I will on occasion add an OD (I am a big fan of the SD-1 too) to the classic channel clean in a pseudo 3 channel configuration or to add a touch more hair to the crunch channel.

The JCM 2000 DSL 50 is still the amp that get's the most rotation in my collection. I do feel that they will be classics someday.
I tried all the different settings mentioned in this posts and I liked yours the best with my DSL50. I have an oversized 4x12 cab with 2 Vintage 30s and 2 G12H30 55hz speakers. I do the same as you with the SD-1. I use the crunch channel with just a bit of hair. I can clean it up with rolling the volume down with my guitar. I put 50s wiring in my Les Paul to keep it from getting muddy. Pretty happy now with the setup.

My previous settings:

Deep switch in, Tone shift out
Presence - 5
Treble - 6
Middle - 4
Bass - 3

Rozman62

Reaction score
Agree with this amp being its best as a 1 channel amp. I'm on the green pushing the front with a OD of choice. Pretty close to a 2204 imo. I have 2 of those to compare at any time. EQ difference between the 2 channels is to extreme and not interested in any mods. Perfectly happy with 1 channel. Wish I could gig my DSL more but I play pretty small venues last few years so the DSL is overkill. Had mine sine 2009 with no complaints. Did have to replace the mother board due to runaway bias but still 0 complaints.

What?

Reaction score
I think the DSL def benefits from an OT swap. I added a Mercury Magnetics OT about 15 years ago. Any aftermarket OT is probably wound better than the stock Dagnall.

In what way? I guess an oversized MM transformer would give less compression, but I like my DSL 50 more when it is cranked up, so an output transformer swap probably wouldn't apply to me.

Neptical

Reaction score
FWIW ..an EQ in the loop ( SD-1 out front) is ridonkulous! Had one going through my DSL100 earlier and it's wild how variable and unique the tones can get. Always like to experiment with both on all my amps.

The SD-1 & MXR 10 band EQ are certainly desert island gear pieces.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Anyone who knows me, knows my views with respect to the 2000 DSLs. I have 3 of them, all of them modded with aftermarket transformers and a choke. I don't use any other amps, the DSLs do it all with authority.

100% Marshall voicing.

As Gunner mentioned, if you're complaining about them sounding thin and fizzy, you're doing something wrong.

A proper, cooler bias is paramount.