JCM 2000 dsl suggestions

• Thread starter rufusjfisk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rufusjfisk

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I am new to this forum. I'm here to get some advice on my DSL 50.

I currently play in a funk/hip hop/rock band, and i am looking to improve my distortion sound. I love the clean channel, but i am having a hard time getting a punchy distortion. I currently use a Nashville Telecaster, and i have a hard time getting apunchy dist with it, kind of wobbly in the low end department, looking for a more tight and punchy low end. If anyone has some setting suggestions, just throw them at me, i am looking to experiment.

I'm not sure what i am exactly looking for, but ill know it when i hear it. I'm the only guitar player in my band,a three piece, if that helps any.

thanks!

thrawn86

Reaction score
What are you playing for a cab, and which speakers are in it?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

What Volume are you playing at? When is the last time its been retubed? Why don't you put your settings down for distortion and let us have a go at it. What voicing on the red channel are you using? Lead 1 or lead 2(button in)? If you can't get it from the guitar and amp then a boost is a great way to add punch just as long as the pedal is decent. Many players will run OD pedals into the crunch channel(green button in)for their distortions and not even use the red channel. There are a few ways to get what you want with this amp. Some of us will have different approaches so use what you can and leave the rest.

Put your settings down and we can get busy fine tuning it hehe.

Dave666

Reaction score
Hi,

I played a DSL in my previous life :headbanger: and it was a killer amp...
I allways regret the fact that I sold it :(

To get a more punchy sound, tight low end on the gain channel, use your Ibanez Tubescreamer (level on max and gain on zero)!! I think this will help you a lot...

jcmjmp

Reaction score
For punchy sound, you're going to need:
1- SED =C= power tubes, properly biased
2- Tung Sol preamp tubes
3- Install a Mercury Magnetics Choke
4- Get a cab with G12T-75, V30, G12-65 or Lead 80 speakers.

AdamR

Reaction score
does the MM choke make a big difference ? For $30 probably cant hurt to try, Of coarse I have no clue what it would cost to have it installed.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
does the MM choke make a big difference ? For $30 probably cant hurt to try, Of coarse I have no clue what it would cost to have it installed.

Its a 1hr job to install. You don't need a MM choke, but they're readily available and cheap.

Does it make a difference? If you like punchy and a solid low end, it will definitely help in that regard.

rufusjfisk

Reaction score
i forgot about my cab. I have the 1960 A cab with the 75's, and weber beam blockers installed.

I usually use the lead two option with most of my setting at or around 12 oclock, gain around 6 ish, volume is always over 4, the sweet spot of the distortion. I was thinking maybe a tele has a harder time getting punch compared to a guitar with humbuckers. I am getting myself a Shecter pt series telecaster off layaway this week. But i love my nashville tele.

I'm looking for that somewhat modern distortion tone without it becoming metal. Maybe the transformer change? Seems inexpensive as an option. I had it retubed about 7 months ago, and i know tung sols are the preamps i beleive. I don't know much about tubes, so inform me grasshopper's.

You all seem to be many steps ahead of me, hence why i am here.

thanks !

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Before changing the OT, follow the steps I outlined in my earlier post.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Its a 1hr job to install. You don't need a MM choke, but they're readily available and cheap.

Does it make a difference? If you like punchy and a solid low end, it will definitely help in that regard.

I wish i could say +1 on just the choke. but i did the output tranny at the same time IMHO this was better than any tube/speaker upgrade available for the money...the two cabs i have run it thru 1. stock 1960av...the other a Crap blue poo poo with GT75's and seventy/80's....absolute monster change....very..very tight and punchy. lots more low end and highs mids are punchy and perfect
yet i still miss the controlled feedback that now seems to be missing...soon to install Wilders relay switch mod....and i have not even put the new tubes in it yet....cant wait

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i forgot about my cab. I have the 1960 A cab with the 75's, and weber beam blockers installed.

I usually use the lead two option with most of my setting at or around 12 oclock, gain around 6 ish, volume is always over 4, the sweet spot of the distortion. I was thinking maybe a tele has a harder time getting punch compared to a guitar with humbuckers. I am getting myself a Shecter pt series telecaster off layaway this week. But i love my nashville tele.

I'm looking for that somewhat modern distortion tone without it becoming metal. Maybe the transformer change? Seems inexpensive as an option. I had it retubed about 7 months ago, and i know tung sols are the preamps i beleive. I don't know much about tubes, so inform me grasshopper's.

You all seem to be many steps ahead of me, hence why i am here.

thanks !

IME Lead 1 will be punchier but in order to get it from being thin you need to boost it. Lead 1 cuts through more. Without it just won't be punchy enough. I prefer lead 2 with gain low and my own settings but I'm playing other stuff. I think trying the Humbucking guitar will tell you whether its the tele or not. Very well could be adding to the lack of punch. I would grab another guitar with Humbuckers and test that out. My strat went from a sc to a hb in the bridge and it makes a big difference. It did with that guitar.

I use either greenbacks or another cab(212)with V30's and I have a couple of OS 112's that have K100's. These all have plenty of punch especially the V30's.

Put your mids up a bit. What tubes do you have in it? Do tubes before OT and choke. Winged =C='s will be good for punching through. So would 6CA7EH's. The preamp tubes will help your gain be clearer, more articulate and not mushy if you use the right ones.

The tranny upgrade to me is a given improvement with the amp. The choke will help tighten that lowend up a bit especially at volume. I'd do this last though.

rufusjfisk

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice guys.....im pretty ocd when it comes to my amps tone. And im diagnosed OCD too which does not help either. But im going to try the humbucker guitar and on the lead 1 setting. I was thinking of getting a fulltone fat boost 3 anway for solo's, but i might get it now to boost just my general guitar sound. I might even try my tube screamer in front of the lead 1 to boost, or maybe the crunch channel with the TS. Problem is, i might lose the great clean tone i get from it. I'll see how it sounds rolled back, hopefully i can keep it satisfactory.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the advice guys.....im pretty ocd when it comes to my amps tone. And im diagnosed OCD too which does not help either. But im going to try the humbucker guitar and on the lead 1 setting. I was thinking of getting a fulltone fat boost 3 anway for solo's, but i might get it now to boost just my general guitar sound. I might even try my tube screamer in front of the lead 1 to boost, or maybe the crunch channel with the TS. Problem is, i might lose the great clean tone i get from it. I'll see how it sounds rolled back, hopefully i can keep it satisfactory.

I use the Dano Transparent OD and it cleans up nicely wherever you use it. Dynamic pedal too. No mid hump. Its only $40 new. I think everyone should have this pedal in their arsenal but what do I know hehe.

I'm anal as hell about my tone hence all the tube, speaker, pedal and modding my DSL's had. When you commit to an amp like I have you find out what it can do and what it can't do. Its because I enjoy it so much that I do what I do. After all I can always buy another amp and most peeps say, "why don't you buy another amp?"LOL

rufusjfisk

Reaction score
i think a good example of what im kind of going for is john Frusciante's tone in She's Only 18, on the chorus. I'm really thinking about getting the MM transformer installed by our local guy, but im going to experiment for a month or two with settings, setups, guitars, and pedals before i make that leap.
Now i must go and shut down my brain from overthinking.

Latest posts