Jcm 2000 tsl 60 tone

• Thread starter Cjprocker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cjprocker

Reaction score
I just got a tsl 60 and I’m struggling to get a good tone out of it. I’m looking for a classic 80’s hair metal tone like EVH, Randy Rhoads, Guns n Roses, etc. Does anybody have any tips?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a tsl 60 and I’m struggling to get a good tone out of it. I’m looking for a classic 80’s hair metal tone like EVH, Randy Rhoads, Guns n Roses, etc. Does anybody have any tips?
Congratulations on your new amp
:welcome:
To The Forum

I am unfamiliar with your amp .. so I have no suggestions.

But I would start with gain at 5.
And the rest of your amp controls in the same spot , with an SD1 in front of the amp, set as a clean boost.

And adjust from there, to your preference.
Enjoy your amp
Settings for SD1 would be the first knob full center knob at half third knob at zero, or to taste.
Good luck buddy

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’d suggest pretty much what @Mitchell Pearrow said.

If I’m dialing in an amp I’m not familiar with, I just put everything on 5, except the volume of course, and go from there.

Realistically, using a Marshall Tsl if, you’re not in the ballpark, you should at the very least be outside the stadium, at just those settings,… something might be wrong somewhere.

atstrother

Reaction score
I've got one. It seems to be dialed for higher gain so mine sounds muddy with low mids on the crunch channel with lower gain (9 oclockish). Raising the channel volume and master volume
helps and I add a Wampler Equator with sweepable mids to add the upper mid crunch back in. I suspect a Vintage 30 might be a fine choice for this amp also.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
What tubes are in it?
Most common problem with tube amps is tubes.
Even if they light up and appear to be working, there's aways a chance one or more aren't functioning correctly.
A new set could be the cure.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

:welcome: to the forum.
What tubes are in it?
Most common problem with tube amps is tubes.
Even if they light up and appear to be working, there's aways a chance one or more aren't functioning correctly.
A new set could be the cure.
I was thinking the same thing, to optimize a used amp that's new to you, install some new tubes and bias for a start. Set all knobs to 5 for a start and volume on 1, start tweaking from there. The couple times I played a TSL I recall them having lots of gain and good tone.

Latest posts