Need help with fuzz / vibe options

• Thread starter Spcv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spcv

Reaction score
Hey, guys!

I’m having some trouble deciding what pedals to get, so I’ve decided, in true 21st century fashion, to ask the opinion of strangers that are more knowledgeable than me. :D

Some context: I don’t have a Vibe or a Fuzz, but lately I’ve been having a craving for some Hendrix – Gilmour tones, although not to be taken too seriously. I don't want to obcess over a Berkos Germanium Experience or a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe. Right now, I have a Dunlop wah, Boss SD1, Maxon OD808, Rochester Orange Box, EVH Flanger, a couple delays, Maxon EQ, ISP Decimator and Boss RV6. Those go into the front input of an Origin 20, a DSL1. Don't want to sound tedious, but maybe that'll help with what I need.

At the moment, I’m not so sure as to what to get regarding fuzz / vibe.

These are my (limited) options:

a) Used Carl Martin Purple Moon – Vibe and fuzz (90€);

b) New DOD Carcosa – just fuzz (119€);

c) Used or new EHX Big Muff Pi (99€ and below).

Option a) would give both vibe and fuzz, its sound seems great in the videos I’ve seen. That could maybe keep me busy exploring it until I get a better fuzz and a real Univibe (I’m planning to get a Drybell Vibe Machine in the future), but seems like a temporary solution.

Options b) and c) would just provide me a better (keeper?) fuzz, but no Vibe, obviously. The Carcosa seems to be quite versatile but I wounder if it could give me the fuzzface smoother fuzz – maybe it’s too modern. There are quite some Big Muffs on the used market around here (standard Big Muffs, BMs RI, Little BMs, BMs with Tone Wicker) and those are the least expensive option, but – again – I don’t know if it can give the smoother sound of the fuzzface. Either of this options would mean that I'd have to do without the Vibe.

I’m afraid I’m limited in terms of budget and availability (EU), so these are the options I’ve got.

Can you guys help me get out of this paralysis by analysis?

Thanks for any input, guys!

ampeq

Reaction score