• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JCM 800 2203/2204? Master volume question.

• Thread starter ItsChrispyTv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItsChrispyTv

Reaction score
I understand with most of the late 80s to early 90s had a master volume on. In my experience a master volume has been helpful to use at bedroom levels but im thinking as its a one channel amp its gonna be a pretty high volume? So how much difference does the master volume make? Is it just enough that you can get a distortion earlier? Like it has the Pre volume and master volume so im guessing pre volume sorts out the pre amp tubes and the master volume sorts the output tubes? someone please explain it to me as im in the middle of buying a jcm 800 and need to get something i can use at home with a ok distortion (but i will buy a pedal anyway) but is also good for gigs?
Thanks muchly

wkcchampion

Reaction score
The master volume dictates how much singla arrives to the power section.
"master volume" is a "false friend" term, it should be called "power amp volume".

No 50 or 100W amp is deisgned for home use, unless you use an attenuator or dummy load/load box.

demonufo

Reaction score
GET ONE!

Hell, get two.

Just snip the bright cap off the preamp volume for home use (they're a little bit shrill for low volumes without doing this)

And the power amp distortion doesn't really come into play until it's quite cranked (even above a lot of the levels I usually have to gig at), but to be fair, many players don't even really know what power amp distortion actually sounds like. Most modern tones are pure pre-amp distortion and FX.

Van Halen is your obvious choice for an example of "full on" power amp distortion.

2203/2204's take pedals well, but with a cranked 2203/2204 with the gain flat out, pedals won't really give you any volume boost at all, just gain boost.

There isn't vast amounts of gain at really low volume levels, but you soon get used to it. And your playing will come on in leaps and bounds if you've never had an earlier marshall before.

I thought I was quite good with my little solid state amp until I bought my 4104 (2204 combo) many years ago, and it taught me how to "play the amp", not just the guitar. Nowdays, although I have many amps (and built a fair few too) I still use a 2204 for gigging, and would never be without it.

No pedals either, just guitar, and lead.

core

Reaction score
GET ONE!

Hell, get two.

Just snip the bright cap off the preamp volume for home use (they're a little bit shrill for low volumes without doing this)

And the power amp distortion doesn't really come into play until it's quite cranked (even above a lot of the levels I usually have to gig at), but to be fair, many players don't even really know what power amp distortion actually sounds like. Most modern tones are pure pre-amp distortion and FX.

Van Halen is your obvious choice for an example of "full on" power amp distortion.

2203/2204's take pedals well, but with a cranked 2203/2204 with the gain flat out, pedals won't really give you any volume boost at all, just gain boost.

There isn't vast amounts of gain at really low volume levels, but you soon get used to it. And your playing will come on in leaps and bounds if you've never had an earlier marshall before.

I thought I was quite good with my little solid state amp until I bought my 4104 (2204 combo) many years ago, and it taught me how to "play the amp", not just the guitar. Nowdays, although I have many amps (and built a fair few too) I still use a 2204 for gigging, and would never be without it.

No pedals either, just guitar, and lead.

Very true. I would add of course AC/DC and the Who in the mix of bands that are pure power tube distortion.

I get perfectly good sound from my 2204 / 4x12 cab while practicing at home at around 1 or under on the Volume. Mine is modded however but even before that I was able to get good sounds out of it.

Just tried out a Boss Metal Zone yesterday with the Master up higher and preamp on 1 and it was pretty awesome sounding I must say. I like to stay away from pedals too but that seemed to be a great combo. Lost a little bass but I'd have to play with it until I can get it right.

cptnkrunch

Reaction score
800's don't sound like 800's until you start driving the output tubes. Personally I'd buy the 800 for gigging and find a good small used practice amp for bed rm levels at home, you can find them really cheap now. Because of my neighbors (duplex) I use a Peavey Backstage 99% of the time at home. I can dial in a better sound with it at low low volumes than I can with my 800 and leave it on all day if I want without burning tubes, perfect for me when noodling and practicing. Marshall on 10 + attenuator= higher tube maintenance $. I only piss my neighbors off about 1% of the time. No neighbors, no Peavey.

Frankie

Reaction score
That master volume in a JCM 800 isn't even that. It controls input into the tone stack, V2, so you really only get to overdrive V1 when you have the master volume set low. You lose all that delicious Marshally PI overdrive tone when you have it too low.

And to answer the OP, no, a master volume Marshall still won't do bedroom levels. My JCM 800 on 2 is bone crushing.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
sitting on a surfin' board, when given a choice
That master volume in a JCM 800 isn't even that. It controls input into the tone stack, V2, so you really only get to overdrive V1 when you have the master volume set low. You lose all that delicious Marshally PI overdrive tone when you have it too low.

And to answer the OP, no, a master volume Marshall still won't do bedroom levels. My JCM 800 on 2 is bone crushing.

What's up Frankie. As for MV on 2 I don't think I've ever had it that loud in my house, not counting when I dimed it just to see. (Who hasn't???... Even if you lived next door to Commissioner fuckin' Gordon, you still get curious enough to wind it up at least once.) And while I totally agree that its heart aint pumpin at 1 and under, just the preamp sounds better than lots of other amps I've played, including the Stiletto and the Bi-Valve at low volumes. You definitely can't get the full throated tone of the power tubes, but twisting an MV is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying another amp like someone suggested. You just have to kinda use your imagination to hear the full sound. But that's interesting about the MV only controlling V2 and everything after. I was under the impression that it only controlled the 2 fatboys at the end (mine's a 50 watter).

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score

Um dude...you seriously need to learn how to read a schematic before you post shit like this...or just leave the tech posts to the techs as you've been previously asked to do (hint...this very post is a perfect example of WHY you were asked not to post tech shit). :wtf:

The master volume on the 2203/2204 controls signal level between the tone stack and the phase inverter input...NOT signal level into V2. The ONLY Marshall that has a volume pot in that location is the NMV Marshalls and they don't even HAVE a master volume in stock config.

Frankie

Reaction score
Really? I was always led to believe it sat right after V1. Either way you miss out on that delicious overdriven PI sound. Maybe I was thinking about a 4 holer now that you mention it. Thanks for correcting me... again.

P.S. - People ask me to not do a lotta things... it don't stop me. Plus, if I didn't post that *I* wouldn't have learned (or relearned) something. :p

Frankie

Reaction score
Hey Jon, help me fix my Fender? I could actually use some correcting on that one, I dunno what the hell it's doing sometimes. I'll buy you a ssssssssssoda. :D

CrispyTone

Reaction score
:) Get the 800. Crank it. Fuck the neighbors...

:):) TWIN

Hell Yes! I do that all the time. The cops came to my house once and told me they write me up for Disorderly Conduct if I didn't turn it down! I was thinking shouldn't it be just a noise violation? Nothing like cranking a JCM 800 and laying off the pre-amp volume, especially with a pickup that has bite!

Latest posts