• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JCM 800 2203/2204? Master volume question.

• Thread starter ItsChrispyTv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HoboMan

Reaction score
I gig with a JCM800 1x12 combo. It's not very often that I can get the master past 2 but even at that low of a level it sounds better than many other amps.

Frankie

Reaction score
Wait, what's boat soda? :lol:

The Fender sometimes cuts the bass out or rarely the whole signal only when plugged into the vibrato channel and only when it's turned down on 3 or less it seems. When the bass/signal does drop out, a big pick dig into muted bass strings brings it right back to life. Only happens on the vibrato channel, the normal channel is fine. I've poked everything in the amp with a chopstick while it was on and couldn't get it to do it, so I think it's possessed. This is a '74 Super Reverb with a blackface conversion.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) Frankie I ain't no tech, but that sure as shit sounds like a flaky solder joint in that Vibrato circuit and the Bass vibration is making it go in and out of contact. Maybe the Vol. Pot is acting up?

:):) TWIN

Frankie

Reaction score
:) Frankie I ain't no tech, but that sure as shit sounds like a flaky solder joint in that Vibrato circuit and the Bass vibration is making it go in and out of contact. Maybe the Vol. Pot is acting up?

:):) TWIN

I'm really feeling like it's the volume pot too. If I run the amp on like 6-8 it'll stay alive all day.

MichiMarshall

Reaction score
how high should i set the master volume for a club gig in my 1989 JCM 800 2205? How does iy interact with the drive volume and gain in the dirty channel? I see quite a difference with the clean channel which becomes quite loud after 3. Could i have something damaged? Filter caps were changed in 2020.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend an 800 for use in a bedroom (or any 100W Marshall for that matter!). I used to use a 2203 though a 4x12 Cab when I lived at home with my parents, and it was possible because it HAD to be (I couldn't afford a separate practice amp)

But the 2203 Master volume was either OFF (on zero), rotating it 0.001 degrees clockwise produced a sound that was just a bit too quiet, Rotating it another 0.001 degrees made it a bit too loud! Anything more than this was literally deafening!....I used to settle for the slightly too loud setting....

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
how high should i set the master volume for a club gig in my 1989 JCM 800 2205? How does iy interact with the drive volume and gain in the dirty channel? I see quite a difference with the clean channel which becomes quite loud after 3. Could i have something damaged? Filter caps were changed in 2020.
Set the drive volume to match or whatever the clean and gain to taste then set proper volume level with master for the size of venue.
If you start with master too high then you can't get clean channel quiet enough.
It will get loud quickly

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Wow, talk about a blast from the past!
2203/4s are always relevant even with a 14 yr old bump. One of the greatest circuits of all time. Nothing is sugar coated about it. Bad playing sounds horrible. Great playing sounds stellar. Pretty cut and dry amp. Louder than sin but well worth the punishment. I love my 4010.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score

2203/4s are always relevant even with a 14 yr old bump. One of the greatest circuits of all time. Nothing is sugar coated about it. Bad playing sounds horrible. Great playing sounds stellar. Pretty cut and dry amp. Louder than sin but well worth the punishment. I love my 4010.

I was referring to some of the previous posters in this thread who are no longer here and haven't been for some time. Those were the guys that were here back when I first joined. Good memories.

Last edited:

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Reading all those old posts pissed me off. Those dudes were talking crazy!

FWIW I play my 2204 for hours in the bedroom, sounds fabulous, no additional hardware or pedals needed.

marcos69

Reaction score
It depends on what and how you play, but I was usually around 2 on the master volume (100 watt) with a pretty loud drummer. I did go just above 4 once at an outdoor gig.

79 2203

Reaction score
It depends on what and how you play, but I was usually around 2 on the master volume (100 watt) with a pretty loud drummer. I did go just above 4 once at an outdoor gig.
Yeah I’ve never played a 2205 but on my stock 79 2203, with Preamp on 6-7 for my usual med crunch, the MV hits rock drummer levels on just over 2 with the guitar vol on full.

dro

Reaction score
I under a jcm 800 and need to get something i can use at home with a ok distortion (but i will buy a pedal anyway) but is also good for gigs?
Thanks muchly
I guess you could say a JCM800 2203/2204 has an ok distortion. Just listen to 70's-80's rock hits.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
Huge difference with a master volume and 2203/2204's don't sound good at "bedroom level" really

Latest posts