Jcm 800 2205 50 Watt

• Thread starter zpyroro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zpyroro

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these?Like to here your thoughts on them

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these?Like to here your thoughts on them
Had a couple over the years, A Schenker fan, but I thought they were bit thin sounding. I'm more of a 2203 guy. All subjective, of course, and opinions will certainly vary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have one, '83... Love it! It's not a 100 watt but that's why I bought it. I run it through a '78 bass cab that has 50 ounce magnets in the "blacks". It's a one trick pony so also not all things for everyone. But it does rock at rock!

wakjob

Reaction score
I'm more of a fan of the '88-'90 era of 2205/2210.
Less channel bleed. A bit more aggressive sounding IMO.

2205 was my first good amp. So it hold a special place in my tonal memory.
Unfortunately, they are grotesquely overpriced like most everything else these days.

Also, the Gain pot is special. And as far as I know, no longer available.
So if it breaks?....

Tweed Dluxe

Reaction score
2205 was my first 800. I thought the clean channel sounded ok cranked up. But that lead channel. Woof. Not good.

Deftone

Reaction score
Love my 2205. I bought it off Reverb a couple years ago and the seller said it had been converted to EL34. Were the UK versions EL34? Were the US versions 6550?

atstrother

Reaction score
I believe the later models had a gain channel revision (after 84 maybe) that is generally considered more popular. Tom Morello's from Rage's amp of choice.
They have a 2 gain knob setup , in which once controls the amount of diode stage clipping , if I recall correctly. I kept that knob low and cranked the other to get a fine crunch and used pedals for more gain or solos. Run this way I wouldn't call it thin at all. The louder the better . Preferred the 100 watt 2210 model with more balls. The normal channel was not really clean and not really a good distortion, but worked better with single coils or external eq. Ultimately I had a DSL at the same time and thought it won all categories- clean, lead, works with pedals etc. except for crunch which I thought the 2205/10 did a slightly better job at. Mine sounded like "Rock You like a Hurricane" easily.