• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JCM 800 4010 Noise when plugged in to high input

• Thread starter 66fora69er
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

66fora69er

Reaction score
As the topic says, when im plugged into the high input there is a crackling sound. It stops when you pull the cord out of the jack. No noise when plugged into low input. The amp works great otherwise and sounds awesome. I just want the noise to stop. I took a video but cant figure out how to post it. Thanks

66fora69er

Reaction score
Would it need to re-biased if I change the tube? If that ones bad should I just change them all? It's a 1987 amp and I have no history. I love the way it sounds though! Thanks for the reply

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No biasing of pre amp tubes. If it was mine I would just change v1 with a known good tube, and clean the socket and jacks.

Last edited:

Russ Selzer

Reaction score
Replace the cathode cap (C1) on V1a. And the plate cap (C3) as well on V1a. Just went thru this exact issue on my 800. Fixed it. 1000010859.jpg

Joesatch

Reaction score
most likely this is dirty jacks. the low input shunts the first and second gain stages together when nothing is plugged in there. Make sure all jacks are cleaned with deoxit

maico996

Reaction score
most likely this is dirty jacks. the low input shunts the first and second gain stages together when nothing is plugged in there. Make sure all jacks are cleaned with deoxit
This is what fixed the same issue I was having with my 4010. Deoxit on a big pipe cleaner shoved in both jacks. I did the speaker jacks too, just 'cause. Solved my noise issue. Not a bad idea to have the caps replaced if they're the originals.

66fora69er

Reaction score
This is what fixed the same issue I was having with my 4010. Deoxit on a big pipe cleaner shoved in both jacks. I did the speaker jacks too, just 'cause. Solved my noise issue. Not a bad idea to have the caps replaced if they're the originals.
Thanks for all the help. It’s an ‘84 so not sure what’s been replaced. I’ll give cleaning a go again.

66fora69er

Reaction score
The tech said someone has been in here before. There was this poorly replaced capacitor. He is going to replace the caps while hes in there
IMG_8124-preview.JPG