JCM 900 vs Bugera 1990

• Thread starter Neylus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
FWIW, my best friend uses a Bugera 333XL and has for the past 2 years...Never had a single problem and it sounds fucking good.

But, you can't judge the whole by outliers, I know that. MOST people have problems with them it seems which is a damn shame!

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
FWIW, my best friend uses a Bugera 333XL and has for the past 2 years...Never had a single problem and it sounds fucking good.

But, you can't judge the whole by outliers, I know that. MOST people have problems with them it seems which is a damn shame!

Agreed, the 333XL and the 6262 are beasts but I have never owned one so who knows how long they last, sounds like your buddy got a good one though.

I will say this, I took the 6260 head to a rehearsal one night and my drummer, my DRUMMER mind you said, and I quote "what is that, that thing sounds like shit". I had it dialed in too it wasn't like I just plugged the fucker in and started playing, I had a good tone going. Look when your drummer comes in and says "that thing sounds like shit" you turn it off and put it by the door cause drummers don't know shit about tone and when they can hear "shit" it's "shit".

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
nice playing diesect20022000...
why did it break? what was the problem?
the amp actually sounded pretty good...
the heaters went out. apparently THAT's the big problem with them. you get no sound. Yeah i was really happy with the sound honestly. it even had that distinctive pick attack (the thing i love about marshall amps so much) that most other companies amps miss/lack.

FXR

Reaction score
I have both amps and I have to tell you the Bugera is pretty dam good.
I purchased a 1990 from Musicians Friend for 350 delivered as an extra amp to use while I did some work on my JCM 900. The sound on the Bugera is pretty amazing similar to the Marshall so much so that they are pretty interchangeable. My observation is that the Marshall has a harmonically richer sound but the Bugera has better attack. The reverb on the bugera is ok for being a digital verb but the Marshall does sound better. The construction on the Bugera is not bad, PC boards pretty good, parts quality good to very good, controls could be better need to be cleaned regularly to keep from getting noisy, and the tubes surprisingly good after all I heard about them. I did replace the 12ax7s with a vintage Zenith in the no1 and J & J for the other two.
I have used the amp for almost a year now and no troubles. I run a 4 x 12 with vintage 30's and 2 x12 open back with Webers.
Personally I think Burgera is a great sounding amp and a hell of a bargain, may not last forever but at the price its hard to beat while you save get a real Marshall.