JCM 9001960 A Cabinet Weight Difference?

• Thread starter Slick George
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slick George

Reaction score
Hi, all you knowledgeable people out there!

Nothing urgent. Just asking out of pure curiosity. (Well, you never know if it may become important at some point...)

Since 1994 I own a JCM 900 labeled 1960 a cabinet. A couple of years ago the other guitarist in my band got a (seemingly) similar cabinet. But when we first gigged with this cab we soon found out they were easy to tell apart because mine was quite a bit heavier. We haven't weighed it but I'd guess about 8 to 10 pound in difference. Of course the speakers could've been changed on his but I doubt that because I know the guy he got it from. He would've never done such a thing. I have the original G 12 T-75 in my cab (I know, because I opened it once when I had a problem with the jacks) and his should have them, too.

So I wonder, is that a usual thing or did Marshall or Celestion change anything during the production time of the JCM 900 labeled cabs?

Cheers!

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Have you guys looked at what speakers are in the other cab?

Normally if one cab has H magnet speakers and the other one has M's, the H's will add up to more weight. But you say the heavier cab has T75s. Hmm?

Do they sound more or less the same, and the same loudness?

Particle board is much heavier than ply and may be more inconsistent for weight depending on the glue content. Does the lighter cab have a ply replacement back panel? Most 1960's have a PB back panel.

If they both sound good then don't worry.

V-man

Reaction score
I do not recall any significant difference between my 1993 1960A cab I had and my 1978 1960A cab.

GT-75s vs G12Hs

I agree with the previous comment(s) about speaker weights. Also MDF will likely be less dense.

Slick George

Reaction score
Thank you all very much! That's what I was guessing also. Someday we'll take a closer look at the speakers.

Cheers!

Slick George

Reaction score
His cab is probably a later one while mine must've been around since the early 90s. I got it together with a 2203 from probably early 84 as it still has vertical Inputs. Some guy owed me some money and gave me that half stack instead. Initially I wanted to sell it. I was more of a combo guy. But when I plugged my Strat in for the first time selling was no option anymore. 🤔😁

Latest posts