JCM800 custom build prices - UK 2020/21

wildgeeza

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did a quick search on these forums but didn't really come up with any close answers for 2020/2021 dates - just a lot of old outdated threads and US prices.

I'm looking at a few diy custom hand built
schematics for a JCM800, and just wondered if anyone knew a ball park figure for a self sourced diy build?

I see Aliexpress has full head kits for around 650 UK£, but wondered if sourcing parts separately could be cheaper, over time? Or are these kits fairly priced nowadays anyway?

Thanks in advance!
Stu

South Park

Reaction score
The cost is about the same. If you never built a amp get the kit you will have all the parts . If you source the parts you have to understand all the values and parts and schematic . You can up grade some parts in kits if you want

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
The Mojotone 2204 kit can be had for about $555 without tubes and cabinet. I think that the Valvestorm kit with Heyboer/Metrospec transformers might be about $650 without tubes and cab.

wildgeeza

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I think my main issue is dropping 6-700 in one payment to an Ali Express - like company. Tbh I could just spend that on a 2nd hand Victory or PRS tube head. Maybe I'm not too fussed about it being a JCM800 Clone, but more just a full tube amp...

Also, I guess the idea is to build said amp over several months purchasing parts to 'sneak it past the missus' too

I'm quietly confident of being intermediate in electronics given my experience and background at uni and diagnosing and fixing up an AVT50.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@wildgeeza
One of the problems about sourcing your own parts is the multiple, minimum shipping fees from multiple vendors. They add up really quick! It is not likely to find everything in just one or two places. This is where a kit saves the most money! This is also why choosing the right kit becomes important. The Mojo kits, while well regarded are a good value, with good parts, although at somewhat generic, entry level quality. The ValveStorm stuff however is often regarded as pretty much "top shelf" stuff. There are others, but this is where the time for research becomes well spent!

And oh yeah, the plan to "sneak it past the missus" is more often than not a recipe for future headaches!

DAMHIKT,
Gene

Last edited:

AndyD

Reaction score
Building an amp is a tricky one. If you are doing it for the fun of it then go for it. The downside is that the the sale value compared to an original will probably disappoint. As a compromise, I would find a cheap original to do work on. Good luck.

thetragichero

Reaction score
Also, I guess the idea is to build said amp over several months purchasing parts to 'sneak it past the missus' too

this is one of those cliches on guitar circles that's super cringe. if you've gotta use subterfuge for big purchases maybe the money is better spent on counseling? did wonders for my wife and i, learning how to communicate properly. i run all my big purchases by her. just yesterday she asked if there was any equipment off craigslist or facebook marketplace we could go get

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score

Yessir! I've used Modulus chassis and found the quality pretty good! And while @wildgeeza hasn't shared his location, the shipping & fees from Modulus to the Used To Be United States wasn't bad at all! It seems that their reputed quality for kits is right up there with and maybe even a tad higher than MojoTone! When you look at the component choices, there are at least a few similarities. I'm not certain though, whose transformers Modulus uses. In the old days (a couple months back), I would have likely bought a kit without the iron and bought the transformers from ClassicTone, but alas........

Just My $:2c: & YMMV,
Gene

wildgeeza

Reaction score
this is one of those cliches on guitar circles that's super cringe. if you've gotta use subterfuge for big purchases maybe the money is better spent on counseling? did wonders for my wife and i, learning how to communicate properly. i run all my big purchases by her. just yesterday she asked if there was any equipment off craigslist or facebook marketplace we could go get

Haha... Me and the wife are fine ta... I was jesting slightly, but the sentiment of not being able to afford a one hit 6-700£ is still the same, that's the real reason to purchase over time, along with the fun of the project.

I'm UK based so may checkout Modulus UK ta, but again, I don't want to do credit or a big payment, else I could just look at a 2nd hand amp.

I like the idea of finding a cheap 2nd hand base as Gene suggested thanks, and maybe starting from there to play with. The Avt50 repair taught me a lot and it's that, that's driving my curiosity of having a valve build.

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Modulus are very good, I built one, picked my own valves but they give you a choice on resistors and caps.
I also found the the transformers very good. I did contemplate getting transformers elsewhere but I believe the ones they supply are Dagnell and they indeed sound good. One of my favourite amps!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that there are lots of big fans of the products offered by Ceriatone, both kits and assembled units.

As mentioned before, if you buy parts piece meal, expect over all cost for your build to be 20% to 50% over the price of a kit. Not to mention, in that case you won't have specific schematics, layouts, instructions (though most vendors don't provide "actual" instructions, due to liability) and/or vendor support!
Have Fun & Be Safe!
Gene

wildgeeza

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thank you for all your comments and advice!

I've decided to go with a friends' blue-carpet Hughes & Kettner Attax 100 head, 2x12" cab and footboard. He's wanting space at home and is OK with the potential of me butchering of it, as it has no sentimental value, so he's offloading it for just £40 which I think is a bargain!

I know the H&K is still a hybrid tube/ss, like my AVT50 (I believe it even has the 12AX7 tube) , but it should be a great shell to plan a custom build into it and still have a play with the amp the way it is until I'm at a point to gut and swap over the internals.

Thanks again!
Stu