JCM900 power issue?

• Thread starter bscenefilms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bscenefilms

Reaction score
I have a Marshall JCM900 SL-X 5881 that has Raytheon NOS tubes in it - They have about 40 hours of play time on them. Last jam I had, the amp got lower and lower in volume until it finally made some horrible noise and died. Power light still on - but whisper quiet output...

Now, the amp had died on me about a year ago after it overheated when a band mate covered the vent on the top - I took it into a shop to get it repaired and they repaired the bias circuit and replaced the stock tubes with what I described above.

So about $400 later and I had the amp back. About 10 hours of play time and it blew the main power fuse. It was a 5A slo-blo and I replaced it with a 4A slo just to be safe - That one blew after about 4 more hours. This last time I replaced it with the stock 5A slo and that is when the amp exhibited it's current symptoms...

Now I can take the thing in and blow another $400 or whatever and have no guarantee that I will have my amp back in a reliable form...

On another forum it has been suggested that the power transformer is damaged and needs replacement. I have a decent multi-meter and an oscilloscope that I use for digital circuit testing / development.

I understand power supplies in general but it's not my forte`. How can I test the power transformer to determine if it is indeed the issue? I see where I can get a replacement one for about $120 online and I am happy to do the repair myself if this will indeed fix the issue.

Thanks all!

Mike

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Hard to tell what's going on without having the amp on the bench. Does the fuse blow with the PT's secondaries disconnected?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Judging from your questions, perhaps you should bring the amp in to a tech... a good one. Most techs don't really know what they're doing.

bscenefilms

Reaction score
Yeah - That's my next step I guess. I am not happy with the tech that worked on it originally. A buddy of mine is friends with the owner of VHT amps and is going to ask him to look at it.

Latest posts