• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Jimi Hendrix owned super lead?

Crikey

Reaction score
there's been a few threads on it already. Usually from the Reverb ad.

I guess the guy is wanting more, & more for it, even though the questions about it's authenticity grow deeper & deeper...

read this: Hendrix's '69 Superlead 100
Wrong. Hendrix owned and even signed my Jcm 900 DR
I will accept $100,000 today for it

anitoli

Reaction score
Genuine EVH froots. These are the ones he shit himself with on the Diver Down tour ( apparently Budweiser didn't agree with his bowels) Authenticity can be verified by smelling the skid mark. Only pair known to exist.

$75,000

full

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The seller rejects the claim that it isn't what he says it is. He's probably going to end up in a courthouse when/if someone actually takes the bait and then discovers he's been defrauded.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
He's claiming it was authenticated by Marshall. Well, it IS a Marshall. Nobody argues THAT point. But when you start investigating whether or not its serial number has been changed, that's when the argument starts.

Fraud is a felony. Misrepresentation of an item selling for close to 200,000 dollars is certainly fraud when that misrepresentation represents most of the item's perceived value.

playloud

Reaction score
He's claiming it was authenticated by Marshall. Well, it IS a Marshall. Nobody argues THAT point. But when you start investigating whether or not its serial number has been changed, that's when the argument starts.

Fraud is a felony. Misrepresentation of an item selling for close to 200,000 dollars is certainly fraud when that misrepresentation represents most of the item's perceived value.

Exactly. "Wire fraud" is a popular charge for such things in the US. You can file a report at: https://www.ic3.gov/

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Ya know, even if I had stumbled upon and ended up owning such an item, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't ask some ridiculous price for it! Not because I truly expected to get that kind of $$$$$$, but to instead brag about and show off that I actually have it and ain't letting it go! :dude: I mean, look at the insane shipping price! :nuts: :nutkick:

"My tone's bigger than yer tone" and all that kinda stuff!

But That's Just Me?
Gene

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If you're looking for someone who thinks that an instrument or amp is automatically worth more just because a music legend owned and played it, you're not looking for me.

David Gilmour's black Strat sold for $3,975,000 dollars at auction.

I'd agree that Gilmour's status as a guitar rock icon is in the same tier as Hendrix. The solo to Comfortably Numb is genuinely legendary.

But to me, it's just a black Strat. Its value to me is maybe double that of the same guitar if it had been owned by Myron Frobisher of Flatbush, New York, a clothier specializing in men's hats and who was a guitar student in his idle hours, who is famous for nothing.

I have pretty much the same attitude toward artist owned amps. They're interesting and I appreciate what they were used for, but I just don't buy into the notion that being owned by an artist makes it THAT much more valuable.

tomsvintage

Reaction score
If you're looking for someone who thinks that an instrument or amp is automatically worth more just because a music legend owned and played it, you're not looking for me.

David Gilmour's black Strat sold for $3,975,000 dollars at auction.

I'd agree that Gilmour's status as a guitar rock icon is in the same tier as Hendrix. The solo to Comfortably Numb is genuinely legendary.

But to me, it's just a black Strat. Its value to me is maybe double that of the same guitar if it had been owned by Myron Frobisher of Flatbush, New York, a clothier specializing in men's hats and who was a guitar student in his idle hours, who is famous for nothing.

I have pretty much the same attitude toward artist owned amps. They're interesting and I appreciate what they were used for, but I just don't buy into the notion that being owned by an artist makes it THAT much more valuable.
To each their own :) Many people share your opinion.

There is a real market for celebrity owned and played instruments and memorabilia :) However ~ the market is full of fakes so serious buyers must be aware. One of the many benefits of this Marshall Forum :)

Many years ago a very close friend of mine acquired a 1968 Marshall Super Bass amp in Maui from someone connected with Jimi's Rainbow Bridge concert.

The deal he made was a trade for about $300 worth of weed. There was no reciept. When he got the Super Bass it was missing the M from the logo and remained that way.

He rented it out as backline for many bands that came through town. I gigged and recorded with it. We used that amp constantly for years and years and it was the best sounding amp out of 10 + Plexis that we owned at the time :) I am very lucky to have used and enjoyed that amp as much as I did. We did what was supposed to be done with the amp ~ Crank it up as much as possible :)

Unfortunately ~ now the amp belongs to a collector that has it locked away in a vault and wishes to remain anonymous.

Last edited:

Latest posts