• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JJ E34l vs Shuaguang EL34B

• Thread starter Guitar-Sam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
What's your guys'es opinions on the JJ E34l both tone and reliabilitie?? I just bought a pair from amplified parts cause they burn um in. Now I've had shuaguang in my 2210 for years and thought(at least at the time) sounded better than the rfts they replaced. But that said shortly after had one blow and take a resistor with it.but replaced the tube and been good for years now. But now I'm retubing my jtm60 cause the ruby/shuaguangs went wild and red plated and blew ht fuse(granted they were tired). Anyways as much as I like the tone I opted for jjs this time. So anyone tried the two?? Just looking for opinions on the two tubes.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I dont like JJ E34L at all, I like Shuguang EL34B very much. Its a tonal thing. Sounds like you already bought them, so dont worry about it and just use them and decide for yourself if you like them or not.

Jaymz E

Reaction score
Imo the JJ KT77 is better than the JJ E34L. I think the best power tubes available now are TAD EL34STR. I haven't tried the regular Shug EL34s.

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
Yea I like the shuaguang tone allot.very swirly and nice. Appearantly I won't get these till the 27th and I'm anxious to hear the JJs.i hope they aren't wooly mushy. Yea I thought about the kt77 was just worried about it being to far removed from traditional el34 tone

Grogshla

Reaction score
each to their own but I personally love the E34L from JJ. I have never had an issue and the tone is awesome in my JCM2000 DSL. Plenty of headroom also.

Fusedbrain

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. The JJ's will be fine. A little less bright maybe, but that might be ok as they're going in a JTM60. Try 'em out and see what you think. You may love them.

As far as reliability, they handle the 540 volts on the plates of my Bogner XTC with no issues and sound pretty good. I think XTC's ship with them these days.

That said, the Shugs are nice tubes & don't break the bank. Love them in my Marshalls, but not willing to push my luck with them in the Bogner.

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
So the JJs showed today I installed them and set the bias using the transformer shunt method.There seems to be a bit of a spread,I settled on 72 percent disp but the other side is reading 62 percent. I know some like a little spread but is 10% high for a "matched" set?

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
Seem to sound pretty good in this amp. Can't say there better or worse just differant

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
I think the JJs have a bit more low end that takes away some flow from lead lines