• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JMD:1 and Doug Aldrich

• Thread starter Snakeface
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chargin265

Reaction score
HE sounds amazing,.... The AMP sounds a lil compressed and lacking in dynamics

Every tube amp sounds the same way untill its cranked. Dont forget the JMD is first and foremost a tube amp (with added extras) so the more the volume is cranked the compressed effect goes. I have my volume around 7 and control volume output with the master vol. No problems with dynamics at all.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) Like it or not this technology is here to stay with Marshall. I have it on good authority that there is a FLAGSHIP model Hybrid coming the first of next year.

JMD2 or something other? We just have to wait and see....

:cool::cool: TWIN

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Hear those percussive mute sounds when Aldridge picks? That is one draw back of amp simulation that stands out to me as red light warning sign to stay away.
Really listen to it and you'll wonder what it has to do with the pure tone of a Marshall......nothing.

That is the onboard Noise Gate, Aussy. There ARE NO DIGITAL ARTIFACTS that I can hear. And I OWN one. Especially, (and I hate giving away tone secrets), if You turn up the F/X blend knob on the back you increase the guitar signal over the noise floor. You also get a Volume Boost, and Bye-Bye any artifacts.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Every tube amp sounds the same way untill its cranked. Dont forget the JMD is first and foremost a tube amp (with added extras) so the more the volume is cranked the compressed effect goes. I have my volume around 7 and control volume output with the master vol. No problems with dynamics at all.

Chargin is spot on. These Tube snobs hear Digital and therefore it can't be good. This is a TUBE powered Marshall. IF you took a JMP1 rack Mount and Vastly improved the pres and coupled It to a 9200 power amp and put them both in a head shell, you would have the JMD1.

Like Wakjob said It ain't perfect, but it is REALLY good.... Good enough for Doug to tour with good.

Snakeface

Reaction score
I went to a guitar store and was surprised to see the new DSL40 combo sitting next to a JMD head hooked to a 1960 cab...I tried both of them through the same cab with the same guitar...the new DSL line sounds really good but the JMD blew me away.

mariosoldano

Reaction score
Chargin is spot on. These Tube snobs hear Digital and therefore it can't be good. This is a TUBE powered Marshall. IF you took a JMP1 rack Mount and Vastly improved the pres and coupled It to a 9200 power amp and put them both in a head shell, you would have the JMD1.

Like Wakjob said It ain't perfect, but it is REALLY good.... Good enough for Doug to tour with good.

no you won`t. you forgot the effects!

gjohnson

Reaction score
My JMD 50 head sounded great right outta the box. I then retubed a rebiased it and WOW! From the factory as usual it was biased way cold@ 28/ 30ma.

Snakeface

Reaction score
Here's an interesting interview with Doug Aldrich about his rig...he says at min 1h15 that the JMD:1 is the closest sounding amp to his old JMP. Very interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d35aFedYriE]Doug Aldrich interjú a Whitesnake koncert után - YouTube[/ame]

Towards the end, he affirms that Preamp 13 sounds the closest to his favorite JMP.

Still can't find an used JMD:1 :(

shooto

Reaction score
Here's an interesting interview with Doug Aldrich about his rig...he says at min 1h15 that the JMD:1 is the closest sounding amp to his old JMP. Very interesting.

Doug Aldrich interjú a Whitesnake koncert után - YouTube

Towards the end, he affirms that Preamp 13 sounds the closest to his favorite JMP.

^ very interesting...I only have and use the one patch I made on mine...it's 13 because it sounds closest to my '78 JMP

here's my settings...the Ext. EFX is ON

jmdampsetting1.jpg

Chargin265

Reaction score

Doug Aldrich interjú a Whitesnake koncert után - YouTube

I used the Dio "Holy Diver Live" DVD as a reference to replicate Dougs JMP.

I used Les Paul with Suhr Aldrich pickups and 1960ax cab with greenbacks.

My settings are: Pre-Amp channel 13. Presence 7. Vol 7. Treb 7. Mid 6.5 Bass 5.5 Gain 7.

I know there are variables that might not make this setup perfect but I think its close.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Yeah! But what is the Most disturbing thing about what Doug does? He gave BACK the 1959RR..........?A free amp..... he could have dropped some loose change....... gave it back.......?someone better get 'the white truck' for me, i think I might be in an alternate universe....anyway, getting back to the JMD1 - 2 of them brand new in a shop that's closing for $700 and they are still sitting there! some guy walked out with a LINE 6 and left the JVM, JMD, and fender bassman. ...... WHY?........notice how the JMD 1 only samples 1 'type' of amp? no 'plexi' types BUT this amp looks a whole lot better than the NEW DSL..................when you have finished playing that DSL amp, just throw it in the rubbish bin! They are cheapening 'cheap' vinyl. WHAT THE???? .Where are the amps with leather covering, real solid wood - flamed maple etc...? (marshall brand)

shooto

Reaction score
I used the Dio "Holy Diver Live" DVD as a reference to replicate Dougs JMP.

I used Les Paul with Suhr Aldrich pickups and 1960ax cab with greenbacks.

My settings are: Pre-Amp channel 13. Presence 7. Vol 7. Treb 7. Mid 6.5 Bass 5.5 Gain 7.

I know there are variables that might not make this setup perfect but I think its close.

^ those are pretty close to my settings above...mine are a little lower, but it's all relative...and I was just finding something that sounded good to me :thumb:

Chargin265

Reaction score
^ those are pretty close to my settings above...mine are a little lower, but it's all relative...and I was just finding something that sounded good to me :thumb:

Yeah I like your settings. I had a play and dialed in a little more Prescence and reverb just under 1. See what you think. I find I like a bit more presence on this channel. Its all personal taste of course. I love this amp!!!

Snakeface

Reaction score
guys....I've found a JMD head for sale and it's brand new in the box for 600$...I've been searching for a long time for one and now I found one at this price...but I'm getting second thoughts...I got a JVM and Jubilee...do I really need it ? It would make my life easier, carrying only the head to band practice and leave my pedalboard at home....what do you think ?

CapeRR

Reaction score
I just bought a jmd102 online a few days ago but I haven't gotten it yet. They're getting pretty hard to find. Can't wait to get it.