JMP-1 Ground

• Thread starter rtcook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rtcook

Reaction score
Very good point!
The diodes each need a leg disconnecting from circuit to be checked by a standard DMM diode test function.
In circuit, they'll read as if they're shorted, because the 10R resistor is in parallel.
Well, I can tell they were changed at least once. They are not the originals. You can tell by the soldering joints. I can't say for sure that the ones in it now are good or not. I'd have to pull them. I planned on doing that regardless and change them to new ones along with a bunch of other components that are bad. The 2 10R fusible resistors are toast. I can visually see that. So, the entire +15/-15 power source is not working.

rtcook

Reaction score
R85&86?
Goodness knows where the damage stops then :hmm:
Yes. I know. R85 and R86 are not in the part of the schematic I posted. If they did their job then they should have protected everything downstream of them. My goal at this point is to replace suspect parts in the three power sections and verify I am getting the correct voltages. If it does not work from there then I know it's beyond that and could be a MIDI or op amp issue or more. I'd have to decide if it's worth pursuing if the power fixes do not correct the issue.
Thanks for your input, Pete.

Roger

rtcook

Reaction score
The most likely reason for R85 and R86 burning up would be if BR1 shorted out.
The 7815 and 7915 should shut down if they go over 1.5 amps (L7815) or 1A (LM7815)
Possibly a lightning strike somewhere on the power lines nearby ?
I do believe BR1 is bad. I'll check again. Was planning on changing BR1 and BR2 along with 7815, 7915 and both 7805's just to be safe. One of them looked like it got hot. Can't say on the lighting strike. Possible. I got this from the second owner. 1st owner apparently had the initial issue. 2nd owner tried some repairs but could not get it working. Don't know if he did more damage or not. I do know though that there are still damaged components on the board in the power section. Until those are addressed I'll never know if there is further damage.