JMP-1 lead setting for newbie ??

• Thread starter wolf5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wolf5150

Reaction score
Hello everyone
New guy here...HELP ! :fingersx:
I've had my JMP-1 for 4 years and only now found this forum !!

I need a decent lead tone for mine and have never been able to settle on something which will work with both the neck pickup AND bridge pickup.

It's either too bright on one or too muddy on the other.

I use mine into a Palmer simulator and into the desk.
Here's a pic
100_0242.jpg

wolf5150

Reaction score
I've been searching the net and there are LOADS of requests for settings but NO replies.... :wtf:
Geoff Whitehorn and Phil Hilborne famously use them, but don't share theirs, same applies to Def Leppard.

Is there some secret society I need to join ?? :hmm:
I'm happy to share my clean, blues and rhythm settings if anyone asks.

wolf5150

Reaction score
Ok, so NOONE uses or likes the JMP-1 ??

Have I failed an entry exam or something ??

Come on guys, I joined this forum to share the love....where is it ?? :lol:

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
I have had a JMP-1 for only a short time. I use it into the effects return of a DSL-401.

I have only made two patches to date and here they are for your deliberation.

Clean
Channel-clean 1 vol-20 gain-14 bass-3 mid-3 treble-3 pres-3

Scooped
Channel-OD2 vol-16 gain-18 bass-6 mid-2 treb-6 pres-6 Bass shift-on

I would be very interested to see your settings and I will post more of mine as I make them.

Sorry about the slow reply.

Kendall124

Reaction score
Howdy Wolf,
yeah, you'd think there would be more about the JMP-1 on the web. I've done some searching myself so let me share what I've come up with...

This site has alot of input from users. Info on tubes, mods, settings etc...
The *OFFICIAL* Marshall JMP-1 Militia - Harmony Central Musician Community Forums

This one gives you a transfer file/program and Iron Maidens settings, but thats about it. The Maiden setting are typical but cool.
Home of the JMP Editor - Patch librarian and Editor for the Marshall JMP-1

This is the Voodoo mod site.
Voodoo Amps -Standard Voodoo Amp MODS

So there you go. Hope this helps you. I'm finding I can only go so far with thing. I'm so use to the HUGE variety of a PODXTlive. But I'm not giving up. I'm still in the assembly phase. R&D with tones is coming soon. It would be a waste of time to try and do it through headphones. Gotta be running through the monobloc and into the cabs.

Kendall

wolf5150

Reaction score
Fifty, is there a particular tone you're looking for ?
Ie, clean, crunch >>>>???

wolf5150

Reaction score
That Voodoo mod looks interesting, shame they're in the USA.
Would cost WAAAYYY too much to ship it there and back.

I think I'm getting there with my lead tone now, it seems to me that the balance between the presence and treble are the key.. they seem very interactive. :headbanger:

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
Fifty, is there a particular tone you're looking for ?
Ie, clean, crunch >>>>???
I haven't got a blues tone I am happy with yet, but I would like to try whatever you want to share.
Can't have enough sounds to choose from.

That Voodoo mod looks interesting, shame they're in the USA.
Would cost WAAAYYY too much to ship it there and back.
Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?
Tell me to go jump if you do.

I think I'm getting there with my lead tone now, it seems to me that the balance between the presence and treble are the key.. they seem very interactive. :headbanger:
Got any other tips for creating patches?

wolf5150

Reaction score
I'm in the UK mate
Been working on my tones as we speak...
My blues lead tone is based on using a neck single, with a pedal compressor... and my pick attack decides the amount of drive on each note.
OD1
Vol 18
Gain 13
Bass 2
Mid 0
Tre 0
Pres 1
Shift off

My new lead tone is
OD2
Volume 18
Gain 20
Bass 4
Mid 2
Tre 6
Pres 0
Shift off

Remember, mine goes through the Palmer and then out thru PA speakers via my desk, so I voice the whole system, not just the JMP-1. :dude:

wolf5150

Reaction score
If you try any of my settings, let me know your thoughts please.

:hmm: :rock:

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
If you try any of my settings, let me know your thoughts please.

:hmm: :rock:

I tried them both with a Strat and they are both pretty good.

The blues one works better for me with the gain on 9.
The lead patch is very good. Very fluid with great sustain.

I have plenty of empty patches so I am going to leave them both loaded.

Cheers.

wolf5150

Reaction score
Cool, glad you like.
My blues tone uses a compressor, as I said.
I did this because it thickens but smoooths the tone and when I lowered the gain, I lost something, so left it as is.

This thing has huge differences with subtle changes ! :rock:

Rocktiger74

Reaction score
Hi Wolf5150, fifty calibre and Kendall124 :wave:

Are you guys still rockin' your JMP1s?
If you are read on...

Due to the lack of presets on the web (and trust me I've searched as much as you guys!) I decided to collect as many tones and presets as I could from the internet, guitar magazines, artist websites etc, and load them onto JMP1 Preset sheets.
As soon as I have typed them all out (I think have around 80+ of them) I'll let you have a copy of them, if you're still interested.
I'm also doing this for the Mesa Boogie Triaxis too!

I haven't had a chance to test them all yet so I'll leave that to you guys ...but that's half the fun!

Many thanks

Lee

Sunburst59

Reaction score
Hey Wolf51550, I have almost the same live setup as you: JMP1, Palmer ADIG but I have an old Rocktron Replifex for fx. I play in band that uses no backline amps, everything goes straight to the desk so the only sound on stage is our own monitor mix. I've been using a Koch Studiotone (muted) and going through the Palmer but have decided to go back to a rack system (sick of setting up pedals every weekend). I use to use a Triaxis but decided to give the JMP as try. Hopefully the guy above will upload some patches, I will as soon as I have had a chance to set the system up. Do you run yours from the JMP's master outs or from the simulated outs into the Palmer?

Alan Mc

Reaction score
Are you still using the JMP-1? I've just decided to go back down the rack route and would appreciate any settings if you have them, I' going for the JMP-1, TC Electronic G Major 2 and a Marshall EL84 20/20, I'll put it through a 2 x 12 or a 4 x 12 depending where we are playing, that's the idea anyway!
Hope you can help me out, oh main guitar is an 80's Jap strat with standard pickups.
Al.

Alan Mc

Reaction score
Brill, thanks for that, good starting point.
I know there are quite a few options but I'm thinking of:
Guitar into JMP-1 out into G Major out into EL84 amd control the G Major with a simple MIDI Moose with the MIDI through going to the JMP.

Then I started thinking about the effects loop of the JMP and/or using the four button switch with the JMP and the MIDI moose with the G Major.....

I'd be interested in what you think (as long as its not too offensive!), I think for gigs maybe 10 different sounds will easily be enough.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

Al.:mad:

Kendall124

Reaction score
Alan Mc,
I sent you a copy of all of the settings I've found on the web. I'm not running my JMP-1 currently. I'm using a custom Kasha rig that is incredible.
So try out the tones. some are good, some are weak. I'd send you mine but my JMP-1 is stored somewhere in the closet.

Alan Mc

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply, I didn't find an attachment or a mail, where did you send the setting please?
I appreciate the help.

Al.

Latest posts