• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

jmp 2204 input problem

• Thread starter Kylelagz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kylelagz

Reaction score
Ever sinced i moved to the city the high input on my 79 2204 is acting weird. I have to jiggle it to get it to work, then the signal sputters out. i've tried several cables/guitars and nothing seems to be wrong electronically. could it be the jack just got banged up during moving? (aka my backseat amongst my cab/guitar etc)

if its just a simple part replacement i can handle that but im worried it may be something a little more complicated

any suggestions are appreciated!

Frankie

Reaction score
Sounds like an input jack to me! Might've just come loose during transit.

Kylelagz

Reaction score
thats what i figure, its it an easy replacement? im no tech but i have a a firm grasp on replacing parts like that!

mott555

Reaction score
Replacing an input jack shouldn't be hard if you're comfortable with a soldering iron.

Kylelagz

Reaction score
Do i have to replace the low input as well? im quite comfortable with a soldering iron. now, where can i buy a replacement jack?

mott555

Reaction score
I'd remove the old one and take it to RadioShack. Assuming it's a standard input jack and not something weird they ought to have a drop-in replacement.

damienbeale

Reaction score
The low input jack could even be the problem. If the shorting pins on the LO jack are corroded, the HI jack won't work as the signal passes through the LO jack.

I'd try some de-oxit on the sockets and see if that makes a difference before replacing the jacks.

Voodoo Amps

Reaction score
Ever sinced i moved to the city the high input on my 79 2204 is acting weird. I have to jiggle it to get it to work, then the signal sputters out. i've tried several cables/guitars and nothing seems to be wrong electronically. could it be the jack just got banged up during moving? (aka my backseat amongst my cab/guitar etc)

In my humble experience; It is rare that the jack itself is faulty.
IE: More times than not this tends to be a cracked solder connection on the input jack. Usually the cable going into the jack gets accidentally stepped on stressing the cable and hence cracking a solder connection(s) on the jack.

if its just a simple part replacement i can handle that but im worried it may be something a little more complicated

These amps are very simple in design and as such they are very simple/easy to fix :)

I hope this is of help to you & have a great Wednesday morning! :)
Trace

Frankie

Reaction score
Hell, the jack could even be loose. Sometimes you just have to get in there with a skinny screwdriver and put some tension back on the clip in there.

damienbeale

Reaction score
In my humble experience; It is rare that the jack itself is faulty.
IE: More times than not this tends to be a cracked solder connection on the input jack. Usually the cable going into the jack gets accidentally stepped on stressing the cable and hence cracking a solder connection(s) on the jack.

Um, on a JMP? We're not talking a later JCM800 2204 with PCB mounted pots and jacks here.