Joining The Fold Soon ... Jcm2000 Dsl100

• Thread starter Holzar88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mcfc_Marshall

Reaction score
Not clear why....when a guy is happy about his DSL, someone has to say the poster'sjoy is about a half a good amp and the 6100 is better? It's pure subjective as both amps have their fans and BTW, there are a hell of a lot more JCM2000 DSLs out there. I've owned both and liked both. One of the best sounding Marshall's I ever played was a JCM2000 DSL...
Wouldn't say I was trying to do that I was just sharing my opinion which is what forums are for aren't they?

Snow and Steel

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I've used JCM2000 DSLS and plenty of the DSL100H's [yes the Vietnamese versions] a TON as provided backline. They are fine amplifiers, and will give you plenty of classic Marshall tones. Jeff beck, Joe bonamassa and plenty of others had no problems getting a great tone from them either.

Sure, if you wanted the EXACT bluesbreaker tone than a 1962 would be more authentic - but for most guys in bands who wants to carry around that amp for a couple songs? Between the two green channels and OD1 you can call up plenty of classic Marshall tones and nobody but a few guitar players in the crowd would know the difference - and they would only know the difference because they are looking with their eyes and not listening with their ears! In alive venue with a band at stage volume, people talking, lights, natural reverb, other instruments playing and everything else going on - no way they can hear the difference.

I've always found the best trick is to use a touch less gain than you think you would need, and always have a healthy dose of mids to help the mix better; lots of bass in your sound is a fight you will lose to the bass player every time guaranteed, lots of treble can be painful and like an ice pick in the ear, plus its fights the cymbals and vocals. Midrange is where the angry guitar that cuts through the mic lives. Dial the mids up till they seem like they are bordering on nasal. now go up one more number. Now dig in with your pick and enjoy the classic Marshall tones at your fingertips!

dslman

Reaction score
My DSL 50 watter is dated to the first week of May 2006. Is this before or after the drift issue was resolved?
You should be fine, I have a 2004 DSL50 and it has the proper resistors. etc...
I agree w/ chiliphil,

clutch71

Reaction score
Congrats! Do yourself a favor and read up on how to bias the amp. Once you understand that then spend some time just guitar> chord> amp.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Not clear why....when a guy is happy about his DSL, someone has to say the poster'sjoy is about a half a good amp and the 6100 is better? It's pure subjective as both amps have their fans and BTW, there are a hell of a lot more JCM2000 DSLs out there. I've owned both and liked both. One of the best sounding Marshall's I ever played was a JCM2000 DSL...

Yep, if you know what you are doing the DSL is a great sounding Marshall stock. However, replace the trannies, (Lydian/Heyboer and Classictone) add a choke..and you've got old school Marshall all the way.

I have been comparing my modded DSL to my new Jubilee...I LOVE this new Jube, but I tell ya, the modded DSL, although different, is every bit as good. I'm serious...a modded DSL kicks ass...and would be VERY difficult to differentiate between a JCM 800...