• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Jubilee (2525H) clean tones and versatility

• Thread starter CrazyDiamond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyDiamond

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post (doubt) here

I have read a lot of messages here so thank you all for all the help that you give for each other. It helped me to find a lot of answers to my questions. But some still remains.

I'm about to pick a Silver Jubilee head (2525h) and I have some concerns about it. I always wanted a tube amp (i have a valvestate nowdays) and previously I was looking for the DSL40cr which has a good price for me and is close to the tone that I'm looking for. Recently I saw some reviews about de jubilee and I felt something more about the tone that sounded exactly how I wanted.

Tone goal: The classic/hard rock is the main tone that i want to get from the amp so I think that it is not a problem for both DSL40cr and Jubilee 2525H. It's not my intention to get modern tones from the amp.
As far as I can get a tone to sound similar to Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Guns n' Roses, Free and etc while we are talking about the drive sound, I would be pleased. I also like to play stuff like Metallica, Black Sabbath and other things like that but correct me if I'm wrong, it won't be a problem, will it?

This is a good reference from the tone that I'm looking for:

It's important to give some add info:

- I will be playing/studying only at home for now so yeah, a high volume could be a problem because I live in a apartment. The Covid situation is bad here in my country, so for now i don't have anything set about a band. I have a drummer friend and we talked about a future cenario to do some reheases and maybe some little presentations after. I wanted to get an amp that in the future I could use on these ocasions.

- After hearing the 2525H sound, i started to feel the DSL40cr sounding more fat than the Jubilee on the videos. I don't know if it's the way that the guys are configuring de EQ of the amp but it seems that the DSL sounds a little bit different

When it comes to the clean sound, it is something that concerns me. I will start to enumerate

1 - I also like so much to play Pink Floyd songs (I already have a stratocaster that helps me with the Gilmour tone) and I need to know if I would be able to get a clean tone to be like a "base sound" to my modulation pedals (like phaser and etc) and play songs like Breath, Coming Back To Life and Us And Them without having the amp starting to saturate.

2 - I think that this is a consequence of the first item. I am aware about shared gain control, so if I use a low gain to get a clean tone on first channel, i'm afraid of when I turn to the lead channel it could sound weak or very low gain. So, in that case a boost pedal could fill that 'gap'? Maybe a tube screamer or something like that? The goal in that case would be using
the lead channel + boost pedal to sound similar or so good as if was using the just the lead channel + gain knob. Just making it clear that I won't be using this specific 'config' on the amp the whole time. I am very satisfied how the amp sounds on the lead channel and the clean channel with more gain and sometimes I will use just like that.

3 - And for now, getting that clean sound (low gain) without getting the amp saturated, is the clean sound good or do it depends on the gain knob to give body to the sound? Before someone tell me to forget the amp if I'm looking just for cleans, I am just trying to figure if I can get same versatility from the clean/drive channels like the DSL would provide.

I could sumarize everything on getting the jube tone with the DSL vesatility for the clean and gain control.

Sorry for the long thread

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Over thinking a bit. Gotta try them.
The clean on a Jubilee is clean. It has plenty of grind with gain on like 6 or 7 and clean is still pretty clean. Depends on volume. Get Master up to 7 or 8 and it will overdrive the power section. It has lots of saturation!
The shared gain can be worked around but is a compromise. The DSL is a compromise as well. If you set clean channel for clean amd switch mode to Crunch same channel, it might not be crunchy enough. That's where channel 2 comes in. It can bevkme very modern sounding very quickly. That channel is a nice solo channel . I used an OD pedal on Channel 1 when I had a DSL. I go for more raunchy overdrive than what you are going for though.

For now with my Jube I use the Rhythm clip mode on channel one amd switch to Lead Channel for solos. I rarely use clean anyways... cleanish plenty close for me.
Since he is using a Jubilee in the video you like, one has to guess that is the best way to get those tones!!
Video didn't help much otherwise as to his setings. No sprechen ze deutsch!

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The Jubilee is more vintage sounding than the DSL, both clean and dirty.

The Loop works great with most pedals.

The clean leans a bit more Hiwatt than it does Fender.

I have played the DSL's and to me they are less of a channel switching amp than the Jubilee is. This is because the channels are starkly different but the eq is still shared. With a DSL I choose a channel or mode and stay in it.

For me the shared gain and EQ of the Jubilee is no problem, but for someone else it might be.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
When I was amp shopping a few years ago I noticed that all the Jubilee videos on Youtube sounded nothing like a jubilee. I think there is something about the sound that is lost in recording. The thing that sold me was the fact that Paul from Guitar World wasn't able to dial in a shit tone like he normally is capable of.

Jubilee23

Reaction score
The jubilee is so versatile, the clean channel is awsome and goes from pristine clean to classic rock overdrive no problem... and clearly the second channel is some of the best overdrive ever.. from crunch to metal no problem... super versatile

The master volume is fantastic, very responsive eq and the effects loop is nice.. I run modulation / delay in the loop and it is amazing!! You’ll love playing some Floyd

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a Jub but I think most amps are too dark/warm. Rumor has it they lack the top end of a 1959/1987/2203/4 and I would be sensitive to that

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a Jub but I think most amps are too dark/warm. Rumor has it they lack the top end of a 1959/1987/2203/4 and I would be sensitive to that
Yes they do. That's why one needs at least one of each. It can be EQd though - and very responsive EQ. Such nice saturation.

CrazyDiamond

Reaction score
Over thinking a bit. Gotta try them.
The clean on a Jubilee is clean. It has plenty of grind with gain on like 6 or 7 and clean is still pretty clean. Depends on volume. Get Master up to 7 or 8 and it will overdrive the power section. It has lots of saturation!
The shared gain can be worked around but is a compromise. The DSL is a compromise as well. If you set clean channel for clean amd switch mode to Crunch same channel, it might not be crunchy enough. That's where channel 2 comes in. It can bevkme very modern sounding very quickly. That channel is a nice solo channel . I used an OD pedal on Channel 1 when I had a DSL. I go for more raunchy overdrive than what you are going for though.

For now with my Jube I use the Rhythm clip mode on channel one amd switch to Lead Channel for solos. I rarely use clean anyways... cleanish plenty close for me.
Since he is using a Jubilee in the video you like, one has to guess that is the best way to get those tones!!
Video didn't help much otherwise as to his setings. No sprechen ze deutsch!
Thank you so much!
I read a lot of answers that you gave about the Jubilee. Helped me a lot!

When I was amp shopping a few years ago I noticed that all the Jubilee videos on Youtube sounded nothing like a jubilee. I think there is something about the sound that is lost in recording. The thing that sold me was the fact that Paul from Guitar World wasn't able to dial in a shit tone like he normally is capable of.
So, the videos show less than the Jube can do? They are even better than the videos?

The Jubilee is more vintage sounding than the DSL, both clean and dirty.

The Loop works great with most pedals.

The clean leans a bit more Hiwatt than it does Fender.

I have played the DSL's and to me they are less of a channel switching amp than the Jubilee is. This is because the channels are starkly different but the eq is still shared. With a DSL I choose a channel or mode and stay in it.

For me the shared gain and EQ of the Jubilee is no problem, but for someone else it might be.
Perfect! This is what i wanted to read!

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

So, the videos show less than the Jube can do? They are even better than the videos?

In my opinion I have not heard any videos that truly capture what the Jubilee sounds like in person. Even the official demos from Marshall didn't sound that great. If you like the sound from a video you should be real happy with the amp in person.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

This is the demo video from Marshall and Chris Paul that sold me on this amp in January of 2015

El Gringo

Reaction score
In my opinion I have not heard any videos that truly capture what the Jubilee sounds like in person. Even the official demos from Marshall didn't sound that great. If you like the sound from a video you should be real happy with the amp in person.
Does that include the Marshall/Chris Paul video that I just posted ?

El Gringo

Reaction score
I had not seen that reply when I posted. This video is one of the best ones. I am after some of the heavier tones. This video below is the one that finally sold me.

This guy is good and he posts on Marshall Forum and he plays a mean guitar as well . Love them tones and they are heavy and really awesome !!!!!!!

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
This guy is good and he posts on Marshall Forum and he plays a mean guitar as well . Love them tones and they are heavy and really awesome !!!!!!!

He really knows how to dial in a metal tone. This video really shows how good the Jubilee sounds boosted. He does a lot of videos with the 2204 and various boosts that sound sick. He told me the Jubilee is his favorite Marshall. I love the jube because it's not vintage but not exactly modern either. Sounds thicker than the DSL and JVM but higher gain than a stock 2203.

Latest posts