Jubilee & Use Of Effects

• Thread starter Gourlay83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gourlay83

Reaction score
My 2555 Jubilee (original) struggles with effects, and wondering if other users have the same issue or maybe mine has a fault.

It can't handle any modulated effects in the front of the amp, they sound terrible and I mean terrible. I know modulated effects are best in the FX loop but even my Wah sounds as though something is 'missing'.

I've tried several reverb pedals, and they sound artificial - I've ended up with a MXR Reverb & DD6 Delay in the effects loop and they sound OK but not great.

My Wah is the biggest problem, sounds fine in other amps (Fender Tweed & Marshall DSL) but just doesn't cut in the Jubilee.

The amps sounds fantastic on it's own

What are other Jubilee owners using, and what's your views on how they handle FX.

Alan

plexilespaul

Reaction score
no problem with using a wah in mine...as in time effects pedals and boosts I use the loop.
sorry I didn't help....did you try other wah wah's?

HotRats73

Reaction score
I use modulations (phaser, flanger and tremolo) and wah in front of the amp and delay and reverb in the loop with great results with my 2555x.

the fx loop is one of the best I've heard actually.

Kutt

Reaction score
What type of speakers and cabinet(s) are you using? Have you reached your conclusion based on a single cabinet, or is the issue occurring with more than one cabinet? My point being that it may not be just the amp that's at fault. Like HotRats73 I have a 2555X and get great results, but in the end the original and reissue are different amps (to whatever extent you'd like to debate).

Gourlay83

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, confirms my thoughts that something isn't right. I've also heard others say that the Jubilee handles effects extremely well.

@Kutt - Marshall 1960 Vintage (4 x 12) which I can switch between the Jubilee and a 50W DSL. Wah/Effects work fine with DSL but not with the Jubilee.

But like I say the Jubilee has the best sound of all my amps, it's just when I add effects.

@charveldan - That is very close to my set-up.
My Set-up below -(Pretty simple/tame to some modern pedal boards, and no wireless)

Guitar - Tuner - Cry Baby Wah - Tube Screamer - Amp in
Amp FX Send - MXR Phase 90 - DD6 Delay - MXR Reverb - Amp FX Out

Guitar is a Gibson Les Paul R8 (if interested :) )

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.

You can also run wet/dry rig [thats what i do] even tho it sounds like effects are coming from both amps.

Run the boost > EQ part thru the front of both amps with a AB/Y switcher and time base/modulation [only] thru the DSL loop and you should be good.

Gourlay83

Reaction score
Question to everyone that replied - What channel are you using?.

I treat the Jubilee like a single channel amp, always on Lead Channel with Master Volume at 10 & Lead Master at 3 to 5. IMO - the only way to get the true Jubilee tone.

Gourlay83

Reaction score

You can also run wet/dry rig [thats what i do] even tho it sounds like effects are coming from both amps.

Run the boost > EQ part thru the front of both amps with a AB/Y switcher and time base/modulation [only] thru the DSL loop and you should be good.

Very Nice Set-up. how's your hearing? :)

Yeah, i need to try the wet/dry thing. My DSL is pretty much redundant since i bought the Jubilee. I'd probably just split my 4 x 12 into stereo though. Carrying a single 4 x 12 to gigs is bad enough ! :)

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I have the 2555x with a Magicstomp and Boss DD-7 in the loop. Sounds great. I do think I get a pretty good volume drop using my loop.

Kutt

Reaction score
Question to everyone that replied - What channel are you using?.

I treat the Jubilee like a single channel amp, always on Lead Channel with Master Volume at 10 & Lead Master at 3 to 5. IMO - the only way to get the true Jubilee tone.

I too use the Lead channel just about exclusively.
- Output master at about 1:00 on the dial.
- Input gain at about 2:00 on the dial.
- Input gain pot/rhythm clip pulled (usually, depending on the cab/speakers). Sounds a bit thinner this way but I like to fatten it up with an OD pedal.
- Lead Master at about 9:00 on the dial.

I alternate using the head between a stock matching 2551AV cab (U.K. V30s) or an Avatar 4x12 with 65w Creambacks depending on what itch I'm looking to scratch.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Very Nice Set-up. how's your hearing? :)

Yeah, i need to try the wet/dry thing. My DSL is pretty much redundant since i bought the Jubilee. I'd probably just split my 4 x 12 into stereo though. Carrying a single 4 x 12 to gigs is bad enough ! :)

Hearing is okay in the side by side configuration.

I had to lower the stack & keep the SPL's below the waist. [brutal]

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I too use the Lead channel just about exclusively.
- Output master at about 1:00 on the dial.
- Input gain at about 2:00 on the dial.
- Input gain pot/rhythm clip pulled (usually, depending on the cab/speakers). Sounds a bit thinner this way but I like to fatten it up with an OD pedal.
- Lead Master at about 9:00 on the dial.

I alternate using the head between a stock matching 2551AV cab (U.K. V30s) or an Avatar 4x12 with 65w Creambacks depending on what itch I'm looking to scratch.

The Rhythm clip changes the tone on the Lead channel? I thought it only was used for the clean channel. Looks like I have some experimenting to do now.

Kutt

Reaction score
Yes! Unless I'm totally nuts, I hear a difference. I never see anyone comment about that, not even Marshall. Please let me know what you find (hear).

Gourlay83

Reaction score
The Rhythm clip changes the tone on the Lead channel? I thought it only was used for the clean channel. Looks like I have some experimenting to do now.

Pretty sure it doesn't....

Seriously, turn Master Volume to 10 and Lead Master as high as you can get away with. Changed the amp for me.

EDIT: If you don't trust me, check Joe Bonamassa's settings - he's quite handy.
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18028

Last edited:

Kutt

Reaction score
I find the Lead channel gets thinner sounding with the pot pulled. I would think it would be the other way around since pulling it engages the Rhythm clip, but it's simply not what I hear.

Can anyone else confirm or deny that I'm not going crazy on this one!? :run:

HotRats73

Reaction score
I hear a difference too with rhythm clip pulled in the lead channel, sounds a little tighter (with less and more controlled bass) and quiter (or is simply quiter then appear to be tighter)
I suspect is something that's just happening as byproduct and not an intentional "feature".

So far I'm using the amp with rhythm clip disengaged.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Pretty sure it doesn't....

Seriously, turn Master Volume to 10 and Lead Master as high as you can get away with. Changed the amp for me.

EDIT: If you don't trust me, check Joe Bonamassa's settings - he's quite handy.
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18028

I know for a fact that the master volume trick sounds much different. BIG difference! I also find letting the amp warm up for 30 minutes before I play makes a difference too.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Effects work great in loop in my 2558. Wah is fine in front.
The clip pull does affect lead channel. Quieter and a bit thinner. I never use it.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
My '87 2550 effects loop is the 2nd best loop I've ever used. Cornford being #1. Sounds fabulous with mod effects in-front of the amp, time based in the loop.