Just bought a 1985 2203. Come stroke my ego.

Delicieuxz

Reaction score
Just kidding. But I did just buy a 1985 2203 - yet to be shipped. And it appears to be in great condition. I'm wondering what can be discerned about it, technically.

The seller said it's all stock, except for a couple of caps (I think) - the seller is in Spain, and a bit of a language barrier might be present. He said: "The amp is all stock except a couple small condenser close to the bias trim for safety (see pics)." I think he's referring to the bias supply electrolytic caps, C19 and C20, which appear to not be the originals. They also appear to be two different sizes. I'm going to have a take a look at them when I get the amp. But is it concerning that one might be a different value?

The amp inspection date is January 9, 1985. One transformer is stamped "10 84", suggesting October 1984, to me.

The amp has five filter cans. Four of the cans are blue, and one appears to have an L and a C on it, and I guess they are LCRs. There is one can that is black. Does anyone know what brand that would be?

Would that bias trimpot be original? I think I've only seen the vertical one that adjusts from the side on JCM 800s. The one in this amp is adjusted directly from above.

The amp has pointer knobs, which is kind of cool. I might prefer the look of regular knobs, and might change them later. I sold the pointer knobs from my 1982 2203 (which I just sold, coming out $1200 CAD ahead after the purchase of this one - before counting what it will cost me to ship this one from Spain to Canada) for a decent amount and put on these aftermarket knobs by Musiclily that are much better quality than Marshall's knobs, while costing a lot less! They have aluminum sleeves and caps, they have some weight to them, and the gold tone of them visually matches the amp chassis better. See the last photo here for an example. Only thing that might be a problem with using the same knobs on the 1985 amp is that the Musiclily knobs seem to be suited for 3/8" shaft pots (which I had installed on my 1982), while I think the stock pots are 8mm (because I couldn't get replacement Marshall knobs to fit onto the 3/8" pots I installed in my 1982 2203).

I'm thinking this 2203 will be identical to the first horizontal-input 2203s, which started appearing in 1984 and also had five filter cans instead of the 1981 - 1984 vertical input model's six filter cans. And then sometime in 1985, perhaps earlier in the year, the filter cans were reduced to three (were there any four-can versions?).

fnaiepaf6hkib2nmoyja.jpglisting details.PNGtevxihydge1ot2btdvsf.jpgeb7qkywhhzcwaiwvxafm.jpgpm9om4yes2r3lky0c9te.jpginside the 1985.jpg

The 1982 I sold, with the Musiclily knobs:

resized front pic 2.jpg

Last edited:

Delicieuxz

Reaction score
Here's a 1984 2203 in which all the filter cans are the same as the one black can in the 1985 I bought. That makes me think that one black can in the 1985 might be original. And I think the blue LCR's are also original. Maybe there was a mix of cans from the shop.

ykh6hd8v28luoiqgktr9.jpg

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Just kidding. But I did just buy a 1985 2203 - yet to be shipped. And it appears to be in great condition. I'm wondering what can be discerned about it, technically.

The seller said it's all stock, except for a couple of caps (I think) - the seller is in Spain, and a bit of a language barrier might be present. He said: "The amp is all stock except a couple small condenser close to the bias trim for safety (see pics)." I think he's referring to the bias supply electrolytic caps, C19 and C20, which appear to not be the originals. They also appear to be two different sizes. I'm going to have a take a look at them when I get the amp. But is it concerning that one might be a different value?

The amp inspection date is January 9, 1985. One transformer is stamped "10 84", suggesting October 1984, to me.

The amp has five filter cans. Four of the cans are blue, and one appears to have an L and a C on it, and I guess they are LCRs. There is one can that is black. Does anyone know what brand that would be?

Would that bias trimpot be original? I think I've only seen the vertical one that adjusts from the side on JCM 800s. The one in this amp is adjusted directly from above.

The amp has pointer knobs, which is kind of cool. I might prefer the look of regular knobs, and might change them later. I sold the pointer knobs from my 1982 2203 (which I just sold, coming out $1200 CAD ahead after the purchase of this one - before counting what it will cost me to ship this one from Spain to Canada) for a decent amount and put on these aftermarket knobs by Musiclily that are much better quality than Marshall's knobs, while costing a lot less! They have aluminum sleeves and caps, they have some weight to them, and the gold tone of them visually matches the amp chassis better. See the last photo here for an example. Only thing that might be a problem with using the same knobs on the 1985 amp is that the Musiclily knobs seem to be suited for 3/8" shaft pots (which I had installed on my 1982), while I think the stock pots are 8mm (because I couldn't get replacement Marshall knobs to fit onto the 3/8" pots I installed in my 1982 2203).

I'm thinking this 2203 will be identical to the first horizontal-input 2203s, which started appearing in 1984 and also had five filter cans instead of the 1981 - 1984 vertical input model's six filter cans. And then sometime in 1985, perhaps earlier in the year, the filter cans were reduced to three (were there any four-can versions?).

View attachment 116763View attachment 116759View attachment 116761View attachment 116758View attachment 116760View attachment 116803

View attachment 116802
I see some crooked work at the speaker jacks but otherwise it looks original. If it's all modded take it to a shop and have it put back. But as best as I can see it looks pretty clean. These are fabulous amps as they are and don't need modding.

Delicieuxz

Reaction score
just in case you didn't get the reference...

Got it!

I see some crooked work at the speaker jacks but otherwise it looks original. If it's all modded take it to a shop and have it put back. But as best as I can see it looks pretty clean. These are fabulous amps as they are and don't need modding.
The black wire that's going over the speaker jacks, that looks like it connects to a resistor on the DI jack? Do you have an idea of what it would be doing? I'll ask the seller about it. I'd like the amp to be completely stock.

inside the 1985 - black wire on DI jack 2 - small.png

Attachments

• inside the 1985 - black wire on DI jack - small.png
    inside the 1985 - black wire on DI jack - small.png
    603.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

67mike

Reaction score

View attachment 116763View attachment 116759View attachment 116761View attachment 116758View attachment 116760View attachment 116803

View attachment 116802
How much can you get for the pointer knobs?

And, you sold a verticle input 2203 for a horizontal one?

Delicieuxz

Reaction score
How much can you get for the pointer knobs?

And, you sold a verticle input 2203 for a horizontal one?
I sold the pointer knobs from my 1982 for $40 - $50 CAD each. There's a listing on Reverb for 6 pointer knobs right now for $285 CAD.

Yeah, I sold a 1982 for this 1985. From what I've read, there are some differences between the vertical inputs and the horizontals that make for some difference in sound. And my favourite JCM 800 player used a 1984 2203. I'd like to have the same tonal foundation. I hope that the 5-can 1985 will be the same.

Its the common ground wire back there. Its stock.
Ah, OK. I thought it might be a ground wire, but I looked at some other amps and didn't see it there.

Here are a couple of 1984 2203s that don't appear to have that wire.

2.jpgCs's 1984.jpg

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Got it!

The black wire that's going over the speaker jacks, that looks like it connects to a resistor on the DI jack? Do you have an idea of what it would be doing? I'll ask the seller about it. I'd like the amp to be completely stock.

View attachment 117134
Nah, sorry, wish I could tell. It's probably original, but if i was you i'd ask somebody to have a look.

PelliX

Reaction score
But is it concerning that one might be a different value?

Not really within reason, but they might be different brands, identical value, too - impossible to make out from the pics.

Would that bias trimpot be original?

Would it really matter? :D Looks like it certainly could be from that era, though, yes.

The seller said it's all stock, except for a couple of caps (I think) - the seller is in Spain, and a bit of a language barrier might be present. He said: "The amp is all stock except a couple small condenser close to the bias trim for safety (see pics)." I think he's referring to the bias supply electrolytic caps, C19 and C20, which appear to not be the originals.

Correct, they've been replaced, but you want all the filter cans replaced, really. They have an age limit and they're pretty much past it.