Just discovered how to hot rod my 2204 without doing anything to the amp

• Thread starter jchrisf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jchrisf

Reaction score
You can get an a/b pedal to be able to easily switch between the hi/low inputs too.

a/b pedal then:
a (->clean boost -> high gain input) Marshall tone
b (-> big muff etc -> low gain input) Pedal platform/clean

Just be careful with the volumes, turn the master down and see if you can get a good match between the channels without blowing your head off ;) If you get it working good, then crank the master up.

For some inspiration check out how Eric Johnsons pedal boards work. He uses a/b switches like that but goes to totally different amps like fender/marshall for a more dramatic clean/dirty. Have fun!
I thought if you connect a 1/4 cable to the jack it completes a circuit on the high channel. Wouldn't that prevent the low channel from working? I hope not because it would be cool to do it this way.

SputDog

Reaction score
It's all about using the low input channel with pedals. Wow!! Still has that JCM flavor but the pedal really influences the tone so much more. I put my Plexi Ranger in front and instant hot rod Plexi. I can use way more gain on the pedal than in front of the high input and it really changes the tone of the amp in a good way. Up next was my BYOC Green Pony which is a cross between a Klon and a Maxon OD 820. Really nice low mids here.. something I could never get out of the high input. I think I am going to dedicate more time and money to pedals now. I've never heard anyone mention this or seen it done before but a member over at RT that plays killer amps, tones and riffs in the style I love recommended it in a post.

I'm sure all you guys know about it already but just in case there are some members here that don't know.. you need to try it. This would probably fatten up Chris' 2203 as well.
No shame in not knowing, we’re all on our own journey of discovery…

I understand a lot of the hair metal bands of the 80s did this with a boss super overdrive being a key part of the front end.

Rock on! 🤘

jchrisf

Reaction score
No shame in not knowing, we’re all on our own journey of discovery…

I understand a lot of the hair metal bands of the 80s did this with a boss super overdrive being a key part of the front end.

Rock on! 🤘
Didn't know that either... Hair metal is my favorite. 🤘 It seems the JCM 800 is the perfect pedal platform as well.

V-man

Reaction score
You can get an a/b pedal to be able to easily switch between the hi/low inputs too.

a/b pedal then:
a (->clean boost -> high gain input) Marshall tone
b (-> big muff etc -> low gain input) Pedal platform/clean
This may be true of Ceriatone kits, but not Marshalls (except for the pre-‘77 2204). Inserting into the lo jack overrides the hi jack

johnny q

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. The 2204 is badass right out of the box. I gave an amp tech full reign to do all these fancy mods about 18 years ago and nothing against said tech, it just was NOT the same. I had it retuned to spec and never looked back. It sounds great plugged straight in or goosed with OD pedals.

Deftone

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. The 2204 is badass right out of the box. I gave an amp tech full reign to do all these fancy mods about 18 years ago and nothing against said tech, it just was NOT the same. I had it retuned to spec and never looked back. It sounds great plugged straight in or goosed with OD pedals.
Agree 100%. I would never mess with mine.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I agree.
And its difficult to find a original 2204 thats NOT been molested these days.
10 years ago, I searched for a long time, before I finally found an original 2204 with no mods.
I couldnt purchase it fast enough!
Originals are few and far between.

curt miller

Reaction score
Yeah, I think my Ceriatone 2204 is probably as good sounding as the best early 2204s. And mine has all new parts... it was built last year. I got it to teach myself how to mod an amp but after discovering the low input and pedals.. I don't think I will need to do that. I need to get and try some more pedals first though.

I've been buying, trying, using, swapping, selling, etc., dozens of pedals during the past five years.

My live rig pedal board has gone from at least twelve pedals not including tuner, clean boost, and wah wah, to my current signal chain: Guitar -- Tuner -- RevvG3 -- Boss DM-2w -- Marshall DSL40CR with Scumback BM75 65 watt speaker, and two outboard Avatar 112 cabinets with the same speakers.

I highly recommend trying the RevvG3 for the 80s hair metal tones.

I'm looking into ordering a Ceriatone Chupa 50 watt head. Current waiting time is 52 weeks. Yikes!!!

However the price and quality are worth the wait, correct?

Also my name has been on the KoT waiting list for four years.

Best wishes.

I hope this helps.

jchrisf

Reaction score
I've been buying, trying, using, swapping, selling, etc., dozens of pedals during the past five years.

My live rig pedal board has gone from at least twelve pedals not including tuner, clean boost, and wah wah, to my current signal chain: Guitar -- Tuner -- RevvG3 -- Boss DM-2w -- Marshall DSL40CR with Scumback BM75 65 watt speaker, and two outboard Avatar 112 cabinets with the same speakers.

I highly recommend trying the RevvG3 for the 80s hair metal tones.

I'm looking into ordering a Ceriatone Chupa 50 watt head. Current waiting time is 52 weeks. Yikes!!!

However the price and quality are worth the wait, correct?

Also my name has been on the KoT waiting list for four years.

Best wishes.

I hope this helps.
I'll check those out.. there is a Yeti 100 watt for sale on TGP last I saw.. $1,200.

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
I thought if you connect a 1/4 cable to the jack it completes a circuit on the high channel. Wouldn't that prevent the low channel from working? I hope not because it would be cool to do it this way.
Good to know, thanks! I don't have one of those yet...

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I have to comment on my experience. I do use the low inputs on my 2203, 2204, and 4010 extensively at times for pedals. I use an original UK and a MIK black Guvnor, whichever I’m in the mood for. The UK one really sounds like an extension of the pre amp of the amp it’s being used with and each amp retains its tone and flavor.

I can get absolutely awesome sounds with the guvnor in the low input but the metal magic is the guvnor boosted with a tube screamer or whatever. My 4010 can be a bit middy and boxy sounding for metal due to limited EQ small 112 cab. The guvnor has exotic EQ and used that way can achieve absolutely brutal Marshall metal tone that sounds better and meaner than just about anything within limits of a single 12 speaker obviously.

Another use is I use the guvnor a lot with my 18 watt TMB clone amp and yes Gary Moore sound all the way. After owning two of them I really hear that pedal all over a lot of his stuff.

For 2203 2204 type guys who want a really insane amount of metal sounds beyond the stock amp EQ from maiden to exotic brutality should try something like this. It also works great with a Plexi.