Just got the new 2012 DSL100H

• Thread starter flashtilley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flashtilley

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but just purchased the new DSL100H. I'm really happy with this amp and have always been a Marshall fan. However, I'm still trying to dial in my dirty tone. I've played a Fender Twin for years and the DSL is a completely different beast but more of what I'm looking for tone wise. I'm getting a fizzy/harsh/gritty type tone in the gain channels and would like to get a more tighter/thick or maybe a little darker type of tone - think a growling drop D for example. Has anyone had a chance to play around with one of these amps? Do you have any advice or suggestions or different tubes I could try? I have heard sound clips of this amp online and I know what it's capable of as we'll as what the older UK built DSLs are capable of. I have played the older ones and this amp definitely sounds very similar. I'm sure there must be something I can do to achieve the tone I'm looking for. I'm a big fan of Slash type tones and modern hard rock tones. Kind of like Creed or Breaking Benjamin tones as well.

Thanks in advance!

mk2 steve

Reaction score
What cab and speakers are you using out of interest? I used to run both of my DSLs with the treble and presence backed off to about 2 or 3, they could be very bright amps. It wouldn't hurt to bias the amp too, make sure it's running smoothly.

flashtilley

Reaction score
I'm using a 3 year old stock 1960A 4x12 cab with the GT-75s. Has anyone had any experience biasing these new DSLs yet? I haven't take the back off to have a look yet.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
What are your settings across the board? What volume are you playing at?

flashtilley

Reaction score
No... But the older DSLs have the adjustable pots outside the chassis which means you didn't have to remove the chassis. Too bad the new ones aren't like that.

flashtilley

Reaction score
Just as an update, I pulled the electro harmonix 12AX7 preamp tubes out of my Fender Twin and put them in my DSL100 replacing those awful chinese stock tubes and it made a world of difference. Sounds way better now. Not muddy and fizzy anymore. Next step is replacing the stock EL34s. I put the awful Chinese preamp tubes in my fender twin and they don't sound too bad in there.

Blake433

Reaction score
I recommend Ruby tubes for your EL34s. Made a HELLUVA difference. Then again, I tune low and play slow lol.

lowinput

Reaction score
It curtainly is different! is that rust on them transformers? (typical). nice and easy to get to the preamp tubes.

DSL 50

Reaction score
Red Channel OD 1 Gain 5-7

Treble and presence at "3"
Mids 5-7
Bass 5

Use a tube screamer/Bad Monkey type of Boost in front with Gain on pedal set very low or off, level 5 and up.

Add an EQ pedal in the loop for further punch.

Greenbacks will smooth out even more.

JJ EL 34L's will also help with this brighter amp.

Now get that master up to 3-4 and Rock :headbanger:

tazzboy

Reaction score
Yeah re-tubing and biasing will defiantly make a big improvement.

flashtilley

Reaction score
Red Channel OD 1 Gain 5-7

Treble and presence at "3"
Mids 5-7
Bass 5

Use a tube screamer/Bad Monkey type of Boost in front with Gain on pedal set very low or off, level 5 and up.

Add an EQ pedal in the loop for further punch.

Greenbacks will smooth out even more.

JJ EL 34L's will also help with this brighter amp.

Now get that master up to 3-4 and Rock :headbanger:

Thanks! I will definitely give that a shot. I'm debating greenbacks or vintage 30s.

Ken

Reaction score
I'm getting a fizzy/harsh/gritty type tone in the gain channels and would like to get a more tighter/thick or maybe a little darker type of tone - think a growling drop D for example. !

What's your bias at? If it's from the factory it's likely way too high. Go about 78 mV and you will find what you seek. For some unknown reason Marshall biases these things at 90 mV and that causes the fizzy tone you describe.

Ken

flashtilley

Reaction score
What's your bias at? If it's from the factory it's likely way too high. Go about 78 mV and you will find what you seek. For some unknown reason Marshall biases these things at 90 mV and that causes the fizzy tone you describe.

Ken

Thanks! I'm gonna need to pull the chasis out to do this as these new ones don't have the test points/adjustable pots outside the chasis. Do you know what tools I will need to check this? I have a multi-meter. I used to set the BIAS myself on my Fender Twin - was very easy, had the balance/bias pots on the back and all I needed was the meter and a little screwdiver. I have never set BIAS on a Marshall before.